Swimming + new piercing?

Options
So I usually go swimming 2 - 3 times a week. However, I got my nose pierced yesterday, and I didn't think at the time to ask my piercer how long to leave it before swimming again.

I was thinking that a few weeks would probably be enough, but I wasn't sure; anyone else have any experience with this?

(Oh, and just in case someone suggests it - my dad already has - : I can't cover the piercing with a waterproof plaster to go swimming, as I got it pierced with a hoop, not a stud).

Replies

• takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Like, stick your head in the water swimming? Hmm.. I have eleven piercings in my face, but don't swim too often, because I'm not very good at it. Are we talking about the pool or the ocean? I think the ocean would be fine, as in an over abundance of sea water, but the pool is probably not a good idea, in terms of pool chemicals. Most piercings will let you follow up for questions.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Piercers, even.
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Haha, oh god no, not the ocean. I live in England, the ocean here is perpetually cold :')

I swim laps at the pool, which is why I thought it'd be best to give it a rest for while, I'm just not sure how long.

Sadly my piercer is an hours train journey away :\ I live in the middle of the countryside so decent piercers are not in abundance nearby.
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    As long as you clean it before AND after swimming (to avoid infection), I don't see any problem with swimming with it in a few days. It might hurt, though. I think for liability reasons the piercer has to advise against any type of activity that MIGHT cause infection or damage.
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    if i were you, i would just be very careful not to get my face in the water. a couple of weeks after i got a monroe piercing last year, i went to a friend's pool party, and intended to try my very best not to get my face in the water... but other guests soon began splashing and pushing peoples' heads under, so the piercing did end up exposed to pool water, and it became a bit irritated. i was able to calm it down by taking extra good care of it, but... i learned a lesson that day.
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I say wait. I remember when I got my ears pierced, the people told me to wait 6 weeks (I think). Bottom line is, even with all the chlorine, there's a lot of pee, hair, and other nasty crap in pools that you really don't want to get into your new piercing...
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    6 weeks unless you are willing to do a thorough cleaning before and after every swim.