people against calorie counting

Options
I dont know what the big deal is in calorie counting, but every time I do that my parents freak out, for real. They say Im becoming a slave of food. O.o I dont even know what they meant.
I think thats a lot of bs cause MFP has helped me alot in dealing with unhealthy choices. I used to deprive myself of everything that was sweet for like a half of year, or longer (because Im a huge sweet tooth) and then I would overeat with everything sweet in the house from lots of chocolate to cookies to PB and jelly, I would clean the entire house of sweets. So basically the way I ate back then was a extremely bad and ****ty. Now that I take care of the intake of calories, I see that there SOMETIMES is room for a little treat. Life just gets organized with calorie counting. Am I wrong?

Replies

• AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I dont know what the big deal is in calorie counting, but every time I do that my parents freak out, for real. They say Im becoming a slave of food. O.o I dont even know what they meant.
    I think thats a lot of bs cause MFP has helped me alot in dealing with unhealthy choices. I used to deprive myself of everything that was sweet for like a half of year, or longer (because Im a huge sweet tooth) and then I would overeat with everything sweet in the house from lots of chocolate to cookies to PB and jelly, I would clean the entire house of sweets. So basically the way I ate back then was a extremely bad and ****ty. Now that I take care of the intake of calories, I see that there SOMETIMES is room for a little treat. Life just gets organized with calorie counting. Am I wrong?

Agreed... it just helps you to keep on track, there are some people who can keep track of it in their head and know day to day.. but then there are people like me and you where it's harder to really understand how much we're really intaking.
    Along with the fact that I didn't even know that certain things were as much as they were when it came to how many calories there was in the food I was eating..
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean.
    My parents usually make dinner in the evenings so I sometimes have to ask things like "What brand of sausage is this?" or "Did you put margarine and milk in the mashed potatoes?" so I know what I'm eating. My mum's fine with it, but my dad seems to blow a fuse and says "Just eat it!" I've found myself raking through the bin to find the box/can/packaging the food came in to get an accurate number to enter in my diary.
  • octoberfalling
    Options
    My family are all the same way and have given me hell over my calorie counting since I was a teenager. Yet, they constantly complain about how afwul they feel and how fat they are and how "diets never work because as soon as you start eating like normal again you gain it all back." They are all over 250 lbs and diabetic. I think a lot of people flip out about others counting calories and seeing results because they want the results, but don't want to put in the work.
  • minnie_monroe
    Options
    Like Im reading my own thoughts. "What brand of sausage is this?" or "Did you put margarine and milk in the mashed potatoes?" hahah. thats what I do. Then my mom says. You are boring, calm down. That the least offensive reaction I get probably xD and my dad, well pretty much the same as yours.
  • minnie_monroe
    Options
    I concur with you octoberfallin.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I think some people see it as being nitpicky or obsessive (like an ED or something just because you count calories). The simple fact of the matter is that if you don't know how much you are overeating, then it's hard to put a reign in on that and get your weight under control. Counting calories is simple a way of making sure that you aren't overeating and tracking what goes into your body. Eventually, if you get the hang of knowing how many calories is in such and such and it becomes second nature to go for healthier options, you may not need to track but for most people working on weight loss it's a way to remain accountable.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I don't even tell people this is what I'm doing. It just pisses me off. What is the reason calories are on packages?? For us to look at and keep track of! Duh =( Have you ever seen a super skinny girl cry over a calorie? You look at her like WTF?? That is how I feel when people talk say *kitten* about me counting cal's.
  • ajelove
    ajelove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My family are all the same way and have given me hell over my calorie counting since I was a teenager. Yet, they constantly complain about how afwul they feel and how fat they are and how "diets never work because as soon as you start eating like normal again you gain it all back." They are all over 250 lbs and diabetic. I think a lot of people flip out about others counting calories and seeing results because they want the results, but don't want to put in the work.

THIS!!
    Then they think I'm lucky because I can eat unhealthy things sometimes without being obese. That's because I am counting my calories and eating salads the rest of the day lol