Question about Breakfasts?

Options
Kooraloo
Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
Everyday I eat a pretty good breakfast (oatmeal or yogurt+granola with fruit) but I'm always starving two hours later. At the time when i'm eating, I feel stuffed and can't eat anymore but it obviously doesn't stick... Am I just not eating enough protein? Back when I used to add protein powder and wheat germ to my oatmeal I'd still be starving hungry really quickly, so I'm just not sure. Any help would be lovely!

Replies

• niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Is it the same on the days that you eat eggs? I'm thinking more protein and more snacks.
  • Kooraloo
    Options
    Is it the same on the days that you eat eggs? I'm thinking more protein and more snacks.

Yup.
    RIght now my diary is a bit messed up (weekends and fridays are weird for me, and my eating patterns definitely change on those days).

Even on days where I have eggs, toast, sausage, I'm still super hungry in the mornings. For snacks I'll have a whole sliced apple, a whole bunch of baby carrots & snap peas & celery.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Everyday I eat a pretty good breakfast (oatmeal or yogurt+granola with fruit) but I'm always starving two hours later. At the time when i'm eating, I feel stuffed and can't eat anymore but it obviously doesn't stick... Am I just not eating enough protein? Back when I used to add protein powder and wheat germ to my oatmeal I'd still be starving hungry really quickly, so I'm just not sure. Any help would be lovely!

er..well I am hungry every 2.5 to 3 hours...and my first meal every day is this:

Spinach - Raw, 1 cup
    Cottage cheese - Lowfat, 2% milkfat, 4 oz
    Skippy - Peanut Butter - Natural Creamy, 2 TBS
    Quaker Oats - Old Fashioned Oatmeal, 40 g
    Hood - Calorie Countdown-2% Chocolate Milk, 8 ounces

That's what I blend as my monster shake which is 529 cals

so about 2 and half hours later...I will have some almonds and tea or brown rice cake and tbl spoon of PB or something light to hold me til lunch...
  • Kooraloo
    Options

er..well I am hungry every 2.5 to 3 hours...and my first meal every day is this:

Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

so about 2 and half hours later...I will have some almonds and tea or brown rice cake and tbl spoon of PB or something light to hold me til lunch...

Mm. That sounds kind of yummy.
    Okay, so it's not just a "you're not eating enough of the right stuff" kind of thing? It's just normal? Because I've noticed it's only with breakfast so I thought that I just wan't doing the right thing...
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options

Spinach - Raw, 1 cup

Mm. That sounds kind of yummy.
    Okay, so it's not just a "you're not eating enough of the right stuff" kind of thing? It's just normal? Because I've noticed it's only with breakfast so I thought that I just wan't doing the right thing...

The trute about metabolism is that the more you eat the more you work out the faster it goes...

I am not sure how long this has been going on for you...but yea...when I increase my workouts and eat more...my metabolism speeds up....so eat what you like when you like...as long as you fill your macros and don't go over your goals...

So if you are hungry 2 hrs later...eat a fiber one bar...or have something high in protein/fiber

It's not abnormal to be hungry two hours later after breakfast...Even a good full filling one
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Yup.
    RIght now my diary is a bit messed up (weekends and fridays are weird for me, and my eating patterns definitely change on those days).

Even on days where I have eggs, toast, sausage, I'm still super hungry in the mornings. For snacks I'll have a whole sliced apple, a whole bunch of baby carrots & snap peas & celery.

How many eggs are you eating and are you eating the yolk? I usually eat three or four eggs cooked in coconut oil, no toast, but with bacon! The high fat and protein keeps me satiated for a long time. Keeping your blood sugar from spiking and then dropping will stop that crazy hunger.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

Yup.

How many eggs are you eating and are you eating the yolk? I usually eat three or four eggs cooked in coconut oil, no toast, but with bacon! The high fat and protein keeps me satiated for a long time. Keeping your blood sugar from spiking and then dropping will stop that crazy hunger.

I eat 2 whole eggs scrambled with 4 slices of morningstar farms soy "bacon" wrapped in a low carb/high fiber tortilla in the morning, and many days I make myself eat lunch even though I am not hungry--even after a big workout.
  • Kooraloo
    Options

Yup.

Yep! I always eat the yolk. Usually 1-2 eggs, hardboiled or scrambled sandwiched between one piece of whole wheat toast.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Yup.

Yep! I always eat the yolk. Usually 1-2 eggs, hardboiled or scrambled sandwiched between one piece of whole wheat toast.

I would definitely cut out the toast and up your eggs! 3 eggs is only 210 calories. I usually have 400 calories for breakfast not counting coffee and it keeps me full for a while. Perhaps try eating leftovers for breakfast? When I don't have eggs, I eat leftovers or a giant salad!
  • narick
    narick Posts: 23
    Options
    I would say eat more fiber. Yes protein fills you up, but its the fiber that will keep you full the longest. So I wouldn't drop the toast (if it is high in fiber) The oatmeal if its plain oats packs a fiber punch, and pick a high fiber fruit as well. Strawberries are high in fiber, and also low in calories, 8g carbs per 100g. Also your body adjusts to certain eating patterns, and if you are slave to eating every 2 hours, your body will start to get hungry then. So in my opinion I would say up the protein yes, but definitely up the fiber content as well. Thats the biggie for being hungry.
  • phillygirl2012
    Options
    do you exercise before breakfast?

With not knowing this answer I would say you need more protein.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I would say eat more fiber. Yes protein fills you up, but its the fiber that will keep you full the longest. So I wouldn't drop the toast (if it is high in fiber) The oatmeal if its plain oats packs a fiber punch, and pick a high fiber fruit as well. Strawberries are high in fiber, and also low in calories, 8g carbs per 100g. Also your body adjusts to certain eating patterns, and if you are slave to eating every 2 hours, your body will start to get hungry then. So in my opinion I would say up the protein yes, but definitely up the fiber content as well. Thats the biggie for being hungry.

^^ This. Scramble up some eggs, wrap it in a high fiber tortilla with whatever else you like. You will be full for awhile. I have the same problem during the weekdays. I am very rushed in the mornings so I have cereal. I'm hungry 2 hours later so I'll have some type of fruit which keeps me good until I go to lunch. On the weekends, I try to add in more protein and fiber. If I have breakfast on the weekends at 10am, I'm good until about 2 or 3pm