Best Veggie Burgers??

Options

Replies

• nikkiw283
    nikkiw283 Posts: 90
    Options
    Trader Joe's Vegetable Masala burgers are the most fantastic veggie burgers I have ever, EVER had. They are so flavorful. My second favorite would probably be the MorningStar Farms Spicy Black Bean Burger. Third place would go to the MorningStar Farms California Turk'y burgers.
  • jgurney1
    jgurney1 Posts: 1
    Options
    South Beach Portobello Burgers are awesome!!! No bun with a side of fresh homemade cole slaw! Very delicious and easy to make!!

Portobello Burgers

Meaty mushrooms — combined with protein-packed textured vegetable protein (TVP), provolone cheese, and sun-dried tomatoes — make these vegetarian burgers hearty and super flavorful. TVP is a favorite vegetarian source of nonanimal protein and can be found at health food stores. If you have extra time, form the burgers ahead and refrigerate for 30 minutes for easier handling.

6 servings

Prep time: 20 minutes
    Start to finish: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
    1 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
    4 ounces provolone cheese, shredded (1 cup)
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    3 medium portobello mushrooms, stemmed and chopped
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    1 small zucchini, coarsely grated
    1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil), drained and chopped
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Instructions:
    Combine TVP, cheese, egg, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a mixing bowl; stir to mix well.

Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add mushrooms, onion, and zucchini; sauté, stirring often, until vegetables are softened and liquid is evaporated, 8 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Add vegetable mixture to egg mixture; stir to mix well. Cover and let stand 5 minutes.

Shape vegetable mixture into 6 (3-inch) patties. Heat remaining oil in a clean skillet over medium heat. Cook patties, turning once with a wide spatula, until lightly browned, 3 minutes per side.

Recipe from The South Beach Diet® Quick & Easy Cookbook. For information on the book, click here.

Nutritional Information:
    230 calories
    16 total fat (5 g sat)
    11 g carbohydrate
    14 g protein
    4 g fiber
    190 mg sodium
  • Lushaholic
    Lushaholic Posts: 62
    Options
    Ingredients

4 portobello mushroom caps
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon dried basil
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    salt and pepper to taste
    4 (1 ounce) slices cheese
    Directions

Place the mushroom caps, smooth side up, in a shallow dish. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, basil, oregano, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour over the mushrooms. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes or so, turning twice.
    Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
    Brush grate with oil. Place mushrooms on the grill, reserving marinade for basting. Grill for 5 to 8 minutes on each side, or until tender. Brush with marinade frequently. Top with cheese during the last 2 minutes of grilling.

I have done this with half the olive oil and its still amazing!
  • scarletphillips
    Options
    My "veggie" burger is a BIG portabello mushroom grilled with grilled onions on Sandwich Round with lettuce and tomato - yum!
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Not a vegetarian, but I've played with "meatless" foods. I haven't found a Boco-anything I liked. But I LOVE Morningstar's Spicy Black Bean burgers. OMG so yummy, especially with some pico de gallo on top!! I have some in my freezer right now! Mmmmm.

Oh, yes, and portobello burgers/sandwiches are yummy, too.
  • nikkiw283
    nikkiw283 Posts: 90
    Options
    My favorite are spicy black bean by morningstar, great in a veggie breakfast burrito

Oooo! I need to try them like that. Great idea!
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    MORNINGSTAR CHIPOTLE BLACK BEAN BURGER.

Sorry, I'm a bit obsessed with those :laugh: I've been vegetarian for about 8 months and those are what got me through my meat cravings! Grill, slap on some cheese, serve on a whole wheat bun with lettuce, onion, and mustard... heaven.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Here's a one minute video recipe for Black Bean Burgers from Happy Herbivore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvG223FTyRg

15oz can black beans (drained, rinsed, mashed) mixed with
    2T ketchup,
    1T mustard,
    1t onion powder,
    1t garlic powder,
    1/3c instant oats.
    Makes 3-4. Bake 10 Mins 400F, flip and bake a few more mins.
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    Morning star spicy black bean burgers 120 calories YUMM!!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I like Boca. 70 calories each. When you pan fry, add some garlic salt for extra flavoring.
  • TrishaB74
    TrishaB74 Posts: 43
    Options
    I like the Morning Star Garden Burger and the Black Bean Burger.. Yumm! I tried Burger Kings veggie burger a couple months back. I am pretty sure it's a morning star Garden Burger. I'm not sure what they do to it, but it was the worst i've had!
  • RobynJoy76
    RobynJoy76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love SoyBoy Okara Courage Burger and we have some local folks who hand make different bean varieties that are super tasty. I'm not a fan of mushrooms and get really bummed out that a lot of restaurants assume that a portabello mushroom is a suitable dinner (no offense to those who suggested grilling one as a burger, but that is appalling to me). I haven't tried the LightLife but I like their other products because they are generally low in calories and fat. But I agree with the folks who said to get a good bean burger recipe.
  • steamlita
    steamlita Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Dr. Praegers!!!
  • bzgl40
    bzgl40 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of making your own veggie burger. Make a big batch and freeze them. But, if I have to use a frozen product I find Gardein the best. They have a pretty tasty burger. Darn hard to find in stores though. Their "beef" tips are pretty tasty too, as well as their chicken.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Gardenburger black bean chipotle patties rock... so yummy. Also....if you're near Phoenix ....go to PitaJungle and try one of their black bean burgers. Kinda higher in calories, but tastes amazing.
  • mpmama2re
    mpmama2re Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the quorn burger
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I'll throw another vote for pretty much anything morningstar, the original and the spicy black bean are my favorite.

I tried those lightlife farmer's market veggie burgers last week and didn't really like them-strange consistency. I tired the black bean ones this week and they're pretty good, I would buy them again.
  • xPOOKiEx
    xPOOKiEx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Anything by Morning Star....delicious :) That's actually what I'm having for lunch! :)
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My favorite are spicy black bean by morningstar, great in a veggie breakfast burrito

Ditto! I've liked some Dr. Praeger's stuff too.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    These are my absolute favorite!! They take a little time to prepare, so I usually double the batch and freeze them. They can go right on the grill from the freezer, but it is best to thaw for 15 mins or so.... My recipe alterations are in parenthesis.....

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-black-bean-veggie-burgers/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=black bean burgers&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe List

Ingredients

1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
    1/2 onion, cut into wedges
    3 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 tablespoon cumin
    1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
    1/2 cup bread crumbs (****I use 1.5 times the recipe amount of bread crumbs. I also use oatmeal sometimes.)

Directions

If grilling, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat, and lightly oil a sheet of aluminum foil. If baking, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and lightly oil a baking sheet.

In a medium bowl, mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty. (****I rinse and dry the beans first. I use the food processor to mash up.)

In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans. (****Before mixing everything together, I squeeze the juice out of the onion and pepper.)

In a small bowl, stir together egg, chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.

Stir the egg mixture into the mashed beans. Mix in bread crumbs (****or oatmeal) until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into four patties.

If grilling, place patties on foil, and grill about 8 minutes on each side. If baking, place patties on baking sheet, and bake about 10 minutes on each side. (***I have found that they stay together better if they are somewhat frozen before putting on the grill. This adds more grilling time. Also, fold the foil over the patty so it is covered on both sides for easier flipping.)