any good alternatives to mayonnaise?

Options
fayelein
fayelein Posts: 51 Member
hi just wondering if anyone uses alternatives to mayonnaise that's lower in fat etc?

Particularly something that goes with tuna!!!

Currently using extra extra light mayo but it's a bit tasteless!

Replies

• Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I use avocado! Like on sandwiches and stuff, instead of mayo I spread a tiny bit of avocado.
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Plain yogurt is pretty good as a mayo-replacement (regular or greek)
    You could also try some more classic flavors of hummus :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    Just add some spices to your tuna...the light mayo really doesn't have a big taste difference to me. Do you put pickle relish in it? I use dill pickle relish, lots of pepper, and a couple sprinkles of Mrs. Dash in mine. To me, the pepper makes it.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    There mayo thats made with olive oil, it pretty good I use it for chicken salad.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    hi just wondering if anyone uses alternatives to mayonnaise that's lower in fat etc?

You could try adding in some chopped onion, red pepper, relish/pickles or some seasoning to spruce it up a bit.
  • djfort
    djfort Posts: 1
    Options
    I like laughing cow lite cheese. Although I don't think it would be good with tuna......
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    My wife likes Lauging Cow Light Swiss wedges as a mayo alternative.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Which light mayo are you using? I like Hellman's/Best Foods brand mayo - they sell a low fat and a light that are different. One is bland and awful. One is pretty tasty just like the full fat. They also sell an olive oil based mayo that tastes just right to me, but has fewer calories.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    avocado is great and yummy, but very high in calories, so be careful with quantity there. I use light ranch dressing… saves a little on calories and quite a bit on fat, but still has flavor and is really good with tuna. I've used plain yogurt and light sour cream as substitutes for mayo when making dips… it's worked well. Sometimes, though, nothing beats a bit of light mayo. :)
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    sour cream or avocado like a previous poster said. I also like just oil packed tuna with some bread and butter pickles, but that might just be me!
  • mrmv
    mrmv Posts: 95
    Options
    Light laughing cow...
  • fayelein
    Options

You could try adding in some chopped onion, red pepper, relish/pickles or some seasoning to spruce it up a bit.

That sounds lovely! going to try that!

some good suggestions thank you :)

deffo going to use laughing cow for sandwiches. i used to do that too, can't believe i hadn't remembered!
  • fayelein
    Options
    Which light mayo are you using? I like Hellman's/Best Foods brand mayo - they sell a low fat and a light that are different. One is bland and awful. One is pretty tasty just like the full fat. They also sell an olive oil based mayo that tastes just right to me, but has fewer calories.

I'm using Helman's lighter than light mayo at the moment, it is really low in cals (something like 10 cal per tablespoon which is why i bought it) but just doesn't taste nice! would rather use extra cals and have something nicer! will have a look for the other versions and see what i can find :)