I'm Scared...

Options
Hi Everyone!

I watched a few of the HBO "Weight of the Nation" episodes last night--holy cow!--and decided that it was time to get serious about losing weight before I become diabetic or stroke out. I had a normal BMI until my early thirties when I went back to law school. Within three years, I ballooned from 165 to 230. That was about 15 years ago. Now I'm pushing 255 (I was over 260 at one point). It's all in the gut. Look at me from behind, I'm normal. Look at me from the side, I'm Humpty-Dumpty (or pregnant). I've worked hard at my brain and my career, but neglected my body. I just don't seem to be good at taking care of myself... I do enjoy "extreme" activities like rock-climbing and paintball, but, frankly, I don't have a lot of endurance and I'm sure I look weird doing those activities because I'm fat. I'm very quantitative in how I think, so MFP and calorie-counting seem to suit me. I also hooked-up with a FitBit, which seems like a cool and effective way of tracking day-to-day movement. It should work as a motivator for me to take the stairs, etc. I'd be ecstatic if I hit 200 (fingers crossed), which is my goal weight. I look forward to interacting with other peeps on MFP that are going through the same struggles.

Wish me skinny!
Stephen

Replies

• 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    Best of Luck to you. I know you will succeed! :smile:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Make it so. Only you can save your life. Good luck.
  • LNPurdie
    LNPurdie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I am doing this for the same reason!
  • ajelove
    ajelove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    That documentary was really good. And scary.
    You are about the same age and stats as my Dad (who also just got his *kitten* in gear). Wouldn't be a bad idea to get a physical ...my father found out he is pre diabetic :( Currently the whole family is doing South beach and adding more exercise. They have already lost 10 lbs in a 12 days. This might be a good option for you as well. Good luck!!
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Hey Stephen!

Welcome and good luck! My advice is to be sure and log each day even if you had bad choices! (Gotta stay accountable and keeps you aware). Don't compete with anyone but yourself! Find YOUR exercise of choice and stick with it! (Not everyone needs or can do p90x!) Personally I started with DVDs, added in runnig and biking. Met a few like minded friends along the way which made it even more fun (like doing Warior Dash!)

Anyway, this should be a piece of cake compared to law school. Find that same focus and channel it to you health! Good luck and feel free to add me if you'd like! :-)

Krissy
  • sherryjohnson2012
    sherryjohnson2012 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    even after a massive stroke I didnt take health serious as far as eating healthy and excerising...I was almost back up to the same weight I was when I had my stroke and thought Im really going to do something about it!! I joined a gym, hired a personal trainer (keeps me motivated) and joined MFPI've lost 23 lbs and 7 inches as of last week. Best thing I did was hire a PT, its breaking my bank, but I wont give It up for anything :) Good luck to you! If you need motivation you can add me as a friend!
  • SRGuth
    SRGuth Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi @ajelove,

Thx. My first goal is to lose the 7% that they talked about in the documentary. Appearance-wise, I've been generally okay with my being overweight (although it does bother me a little), but the possibility of becoming diabetic really, really got me in gear.
  • Gunnarbear
    Gunnarbear Posts: 186
    Options
    If you need a friend for support feel free to add me. You are taking the first step in a lifestyle change and its great that you are serious about it.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    welcome and congrats on taking the first step! :)
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    I'm about 40 pounds overweight and I feel the same way when I go jogging, but people look at me and nod when they go by me and some people smile big like hey way to go putting yourself out there and getting into shape. One thing I've learned is to stop worrying about what everyone else thinks, as long as your helping your body it shouldn't matter what they think!! Good luck!!
  • monkeybrain2012
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! You've come to the right place. It sounds like you have a good start with this site and a fitness tracker. Move more, eat less. Best wishes to you!!
  • JoeD1968
    JoeD1968 Posts: 167
    Options
    I was on that same road,but I had high cholesterol and high blood pressure
    Amazing how much losing weight effects everything
    Now both my blood pressure and cholesterol are in check..
    One day at a time ..this site is awesome
    It totally helps if you use it and interact with people
  • blackschecter
    Options
    hey me too...
    My son graduated from high school and got on a health kick and went from being chubby to being a body builder. He encouraged me to do this. I was 190 at one time but was at 245. Yeah I look like I am pregnant. Just don't like it.

He said wouldn't you like to have a six pack? I would like that but more important just to be fit.

He asked me what my goals were... I said 200 would be good... Then he said what is your motivation? different thing... what is your lifelong reason for doing this? Thats easy for me... #1 killer in the US is heart attack... #2 is cancer. I don't want to die of either of those.. That is my motivation. I don't want to be 65 and eating a handful of pills every day to "manage" my health. I know that most of the health stuff is just lifestyle.

He encouraged me to shoot for losing 1 lb per week. Very slow. But then I change my habits over 38 weeks instead of just long enough to start it all up again. I want to stay fit once I get there.

Thanks for checking in..
  • firedad
    firedad Posts: 59
    Options
    I understand how that can be. I was 190 in the military, and very strong. I became a sheriff deputy after I got out and worked 3rd shift for the better part of 4 years. I ballooned to 271. I left that field and now am trying to get down to 180, then start working on muscle mass. If yod like you can add me as a friend for moral support. Good luck!
  • ArtemisMoon
    ArtemisMoon Posts: 144
    Options
    Between yesterday and today I watched all four episodes. It was both depressing and motivating. I can see why it would drive you to start taking your health seriously, and kudos for watching and and choosing to act! I know too many people far heavier than I am that will probably never watch it because it makes them uncomfortable, and they would rather not face the truth. I think that makes me sadder than anything, so I'm glad to see anyone else who chooses knowledge, awareness, and health!

Welcome to MFP! Be sure to add friends who will be encouraging and motivating and help keep you accountable. It helps to open up your diary at least to your friends and stay active on the post boards. I found even when I hit a rough spot a couple of weeks ago with the passing of a family member, I felt very motivated to come back and get back on track because I enjoy interacting with everyone on here so much. Socializing on here is value added to an already great tool!
  • korinastern
    Options
    You can add me too if you want, my husband and I are both trying to avoid major health problems after watching that. We are doing great so if you need support we are here.
  • korinastern
    Options
    Make sure you set your fitness to sedentary on here and add your actual calories burned from your fitbit so you know what you really need to eat.
  • rasheedaraji
    rasheedaraji Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Law school and DC Happy Hours did it to me. I went in to law school a size 8 and now I can barely get into a size 12. I put on a 40 pounds. I am only two or three weeks in but the weight is starting to go. Good luck. :-)
  • mom2mozart
    mom2mozart Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Many people have lost far more than you need to lose. Check out the success stories. Very inspiring.
    I didn't think I would be able to lose. I joined in February - and figured I'd lose some, but never thought I'd reach my
    ultimate goal (a healthy BMI) - which I surpassed. I've since revised my goal weight 2x so that I have a better body composition (lose the rest of my belly flab. I have gone down from a size 12-14 pants to a size 6-8 pants. I feel great. I exercise about 5-6 days per week. I am loving my arms and legs again. I can now tolerate my mid-section. I'm not embarrased to be photographed. I had been mortified to see my photos in the past few years. I love the ability to track my food, protein, carbs, fiber... I love being able to look
    at other people's diaries and broaden my own menu. You are in the right place. Feel free to add me as a friend. My diary is open.