My STRENGTH/WEIGHT TRAINING plan. Is this a good???

Options
I finally got my strength/weight training workout plan.

I wanted to share it with you just to be sure I am on the right path. Don't want to do too much or too little.
Any suggestions, corrections, etc. would be appreciated.

I'm hoping to accomplish upper and lower body in one workout to do every other day, but I'll see how it goes.

Here it is:

(My plan is to do 3 sets of 10 reps)

-Chest/Shoulders-

*DUMBBELL BENCH PRESS
*INCLINE BENCH PRESS
*DUMBBELL FLY
*BARBELL BENCH PRESS
*BARBELL SHOULDER PRESS
*DUMBBELL FRONT LATERAL RAISE
*DUMBBELL SIDE LATERAL RAISE
*DUMBBELL MILITARY PRESS

-Biceps/Triceps-

*ALTERNATING BICEP CURLS
*HAMMER CURLS
*CONCENTRATED BICEP CURLS
*BARBELL CURLS
*TRICEP KICK BACK
*TRICEP EXTENSION
*TRICEP DIPS
*REVERSE TRICEP BENCH PRESS

-Legs-

*BARBELL SQUATS
*FRONT BARBELL SQUATS
*BARBELL SUMO SQUATS
*WALL SQUATS (ALTERNATIVE TO LEG PRESS)
*LEG EXTENSIONS
*BARBELL LUNGES
*CALF RAISES

-Back-

*DUMBBELL ROW
*BARBELL ROW
*REVERSE BARBELL ROW
*ONE ARM DUMBBELL ROW
*BARBELL DEADLIFT
*BACK EXTENSION
*DUMBBELL PULL OVER ON EXERCISE BALL
*BARBELL PULL OVER ON EXERCISE BALL
*RESISTANCE BANDS PULLING

-Abs-

*CRUNCHES
*CAPTAINS CHAIR LEG RAISES

Hopefully this is sufficient. Thanks!!!! :)

Replies

• docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I doubt you need that high volume and that much isolation. Just stick to an established strength routine for beginners if you're semi-new to this. Try Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.
  • jagwab
    jagwab Posts: 93
    Options
    Seems a little overkill to me.
    That is A LOT for one work out.
    4 exercises for one body part is way too many I think.

Maybe try New Rules of Lifting for Women?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wow that's going to take you LONG time to do each workout because of all the isolation stuff. also you're doing pretty much the same movements over and over, so you're just asking for an overuse injuries in your shoulders and hip flexors and quite possible in the knee too as you get tired (which you bound to do if you're doing 30 deadlifts and 100 squats) and start screwing up on form.

yeah the only time i've seen people do this much isolation is when they are wanting every little muscle to pop and they are at their goal weight but doing little tweaking. if you're still in weight loss mode, there's much more efficient ways to make use of your weightlifting time.

and yeah i'll just say it again, with this routine and rest time you're going to be in the gym a LONG time. easily close to 2 hours
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    like others have said you should start with a beginners program like starting strength, new rules...., etc...
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    i think it is too much.

look at new rules, starting strength or strong lifts
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    How many hours do you plan on being in the gym? It takes me 35-40 minutes to do just 3 exercises - for example Mondays are deadlifts, bench press and curls and I'm lucky to get out in 50 minutes including a 5 minute warmup and cooldown.

There's really no need to do so many exercises for each body part. 4 different versions of curls? At 3x10 for each? 120 reps on your biceps in one sitting? Wow. Try 3x8 or 5x5 of one exercise and you'll be fine. If you fancy doing all sorts of different versions of an exercise, spread it out. Let's say you do barbell curls on Monday. Next monday do hammer curls instead. Next monday after that do concentration curls. Do squats on Tuesday, then the next week do front squats instead, then the next week do sumo squats.

Lots of extraneous exercises in there too. If you're doing all of these compound lifts you really don't need to do ab isolation exercises. You will be working your abs all the time doing squats, deadlifts, rows, etc..

Have you actually done this routine? I'm just curious because it probably looks good on paper but I imagine trying it would be a bit of a reality check.

Dope
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I agree on cutting it down. If you're really stuck on getting all those lifts in you can choose 1-2 per muscle group and then select the others on your 2nd and 3rd lifting days so you have three separate workouts a week. Also be careful in how you arrange your sets since that can be the difference between success and injury.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Ok. So, I read the A Simple Beginner's Routine on bodybuilding.com and would like to start today. However, I am still a little confused.

It says to do Squats, Bench Presses, Bent-Over Rows, Overhead Barbell Presses, Stiff-Legged Deadlifts and Barbell Curls. But isn't this a little vague? It doesn't say which exercises. For example, what kind of specific bench press is best?

I realize now my routine is too much and I don't want to injure myself. How can I break it down to reflect the beginners workout? Which are the best lifts?

Thanks!
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Ok. So, I read the A Simple Beginner's Routine on bodybuilding.com and would like to start today. However, I am still a little confused.

It says to do Squats, Bench Presses, Bent-Over Rows, Overhead Barbell Presses, Stiff-Legged Deadlifts and Barbell Curls. But isn't this a little vague? It doesn't say which exercises. For example, what kind of specific bench press is best?

I realize now my routine is too much and I don't want to injure myself. How can I break it down to reflect the beginners workout? Which are the best lifts?

Thanks!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Thanks!

what do you mean it doesnt say which exercise? those are exercises in themselves.

there is no such thing as "best" or "worst". an exercise is an exercise. it all depends on your goals and your limitations.

for instance for bench presses, at the moment *I* prefer dumbbell bench press because i have an issue with my right shoulder i'm rehabbing and using dumbbells really forces me to make sure my right side isnt slacking and letting the left side do more work. same with shoulder presses i go with DB instead of BB

different variations of an exercise like bench press vs incline bench press vs decline bench press will obviously work the muscles in different ways since you're using them at different angles

to make your routine more beginner friendly you should concentrate on compound movement like squats, deadlifts, chin ups, push ups, bench presses, reverse wood chops etc since these will work multiple muscle groups at once
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    That seems like an awful lot. Especially if you are going to do 3 sets of each. I am going to start stronglifts 5x5 on Monday, I think. It's only 3 exercises per workout.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options

Thanks!

You should do them all with barbells. Squats and calf raises you can do in a squat rack... bench press just.. lying down on a bench with the bar lol... I'm not sure what other kind of bench press there is. Everything else is just standing up with a barbell. Be sure to do stiff legged deadlifts and not regular ones.

Also, you only need to do warm up sets for the first three exercises (squats bench press and rows) ... I have been in that thread on bb.com quite a lot lol.
  • adrianfm1977
    adrianfm1977 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi in reply to this post ... i wouldnt agree with much of it sorry to say .. if your going to do any weight training
    I have done a lot of reading into this as im training to be a personal fitness instructor .. any weight training that you do always work upper and lower body on different sessions if this at all possible..
    also if your doing weights and your unsure if the weight is to much or not enough there is one simple rule of thumb.. work within your strength for example set your self a weight that you can just about finish 12 reps per set if you can do it easy then the weight isnt enough . if you struggle to do this and your losing form you need to lower the weight..

the main thing in any session is form.. weather its bench press or barbell dumbbell its form over weight.. also low reps = high weight .... high rep low weight..
    Hope that this was of some help if you would like more info add me always ready to help
    Adrian
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    From someone who loves to lift; that's excessive. I do 2 upper body and 2 lower body sessions over 4 days. For upper body I do 2 exercises each body part and super set one body part with another. For example, shoulder presses than bicep curls. I think of you are just starting out, trying to do all that you'll get frustrated and quit quickly.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    if your going to do any weight training
    I have done a lot of reading into this as im training to be a personal fitness instructor .. any weight training that you do always work upper and lower body on different sessions if this at all possible..
    also if your doing weights and your unsure if the weight is to much or not enough there is one simple rule of thumb.. work within your strength for example set your self a weight that you can just about finish 12 reps per set if you can do it easy then the weight isnt enough . if you struggle to do this and your losing form you need to lower the weight..

And this, folks, is an example of the three crappy trainers I hired. . .

1. You can train full body every training session, if you don't train every day. You need at least a full day of rest in between sessions, but Stronglifts and Starting Strength are both based on 3-4 times a week, full body every session.

2. Rep ranges vary depending on goals. If strength is the goal, the reps in the 5-8 rep range are appropriate.
  • adrianfm1977
    Options
  • ishtar13
    Options
    if your going to do any weight training

And this, folks, is an example of the three crappy trainers I hired. . .

1. You can train full body every training session, if you don't train every day. You need at least a full day of rest in between sessions, but Stronglifts and Starting Strength are both based on 3-4 times a week, full body every session.

2. Rep ranges vary depending on goals. If strength is the goal, the reps in the 5-8 rep range are appropriate.

this also goes to show how some that wont even put a picture of them self on a profile and who yes maybe partly right still dont understand things to the fullest its people with this attitude that make MFP A bad place .. oh sorry i know jack dont i

It's hard for me to pay attention to someone online who can't write a coherent sentence, but I take it that you're not familiar with pure strength programs like Starting Strength and Stronglifts.

If you don't want to take it from me, take it from Tom Venuto a thttp://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=278909.0;wap2 :

"In other words, reps under 6 make you stronger, but they don’t necessarily make you bigger because the strength gains come from adaptations in the nervous system – the muscle fibers and other muscle cell structures do not hypertrophy (enlarge). This explains why certain athletes, powerlifters and Olympic lifters can be wicked strong but they don’t look as strong as they are.

When you train with medium reps (6-12) the adaptations are more metabolic and cellular and only moderately neurological. This is why 6-12 reps is the range most often recommended for bodybuilding and hypertrophy. You get bigger and stronger in this rep range, but your strength gains are not maximal. This explains why some bodybuilders look stronger than they are (and why they are often the brunt of jokes made by powerlifters and weight lifters; i.e. “big, weak, slow, useless muscles”, ha ha).

When you train with higher reps (13-20+), the adaptations are mostly metabolic and cellular. This rep range produces local muscular endurance, a small degree of hypertrophy in certain cellular components such as the mitochondria and the capillaries, and very little strength."

Get that?

5-6 reps for pure strength.
    6-12 reps for strength and size, BUT you're compromising strength for that size gain.
    13+ reps for endurance

It's slightly different from what I said, but not a lot.

She's a woman.

Women generally don't want size gains, in fact I can't count how many have come on here saying, "I don't want to bulk up."

Reps depend on your goal.

Now, on full body vs. split:

Yes, you need to rest after lifting, to give muscles time to repair. That does NOT mean you have to do split routines. If the only days you can get to the gym are consecutive days, then sure, split. But if you can do every other day, there's no need to. I don't know why that's even an argument.
  • adrianfm1977
    Options
    As you say you know best .. and I'm some one who i stupid. I will leave it there .. I forget that there is over a million plus sites that have a million and one different ways to work out .. but your site is the be all and end all and you know best .. thanks for that i will delete my post as now i see everyone will come to you and do as you say ..
  • ishtar13
    Options
    As you say you know best .. and I'm some one who i stupid. I will leave it there .. I forget that there is over a million plus sites that have a million and one different ways to work out .. but your site is the be all and end all and you know best .. thanks for that i will delete my post as now i see everyone will come to you and do as you say ..

My site?

I don't have a site. I was quoting a bodybuilder.
  • adrianfm1977
    Options
    yes i know you was but as you was saying and yes quoting from that site its your site you use
    I use a number of sites and yes they all state different things .. Dean ash. Neale cranwell And a lot of others say different things but i dont quote what they say i take from all of them .. and using the method I have been using has changed my body in 7 weeks from fat to a more leaner physique ... using the out line that suggested .. I have also got 4 others doing the same work out and so far all are changing for the better .. with visible 6 packs and toned muscle nothing over the top.. ....