Question for People Who Have Lost 30+ Pounds in 6 Months

Options
So... this is for the people who have lost more than 30 pounds in 6 months. I wish to know your daily food plans, what kind of exercises you did, and so on. My boyfriend was saying, "Oh, the people who lose more than 30 in 6 months don't eat as much as you do," and so I said, "Yeah, they do, and they probably eat more than me too, but exercise just as much in order to maintain." So now I am thinking, why not ask? Because my diary is open, you can go check it out. I have been reading about that "Eat More to Lose More" and I was hoping that would work for me.

*Disclaimer: Some days I do not finish. Sorry.*

My background story? I have been on MFP for almost 2 years now, and only have lost 20 pounds. I keep going up and down and up and down between 193 and 187 NOW. Before, last summer it was between 195 and 191 fluctuating. It took me a LONG time to finally get to 185, and the only way I got there was by being sick. And after that sickness passed, I worked really hard to get lower, but you know, as it is deemed, I guess, it started going back up after like 2 months. Sometimes I know it was my fault, because I would get lazy and not eat right.

This is all going to change.

I haven't been very willing to give up sugar. I would like some opinions of what to replace my sugar with so that I don't miss it. And NO, I will not eat sweetener. I have given up sodas almost entirely (sometimes I'll have one, but not every day or even every week). I am trying to give up chips now, and it's hard, but slowly and surely, I am hoping to move to only one kind of chip, or even change them out for some good ones. I eat more fruits, and I wish I would eat more vegetables, but prices are high. I drink water with flavor (10 calories per pack! :))) ), and a lot of tea. I am feeling this way of eating changing what I used to eat is being good for me.

However, with all these changes, I am still moving slowly on the scale, and in my eyes as well. This month is my 10 pound loss challenge. I want to lose 30 pounds during the summer, and that might be too much to ask, but my boyfriend seems very certain that I can do it. He talks about how people from his country, when they want to lose weight, can do it so fast and easily. I always just tell him, that's because that's not America, you don't have processed foods. He's like, yeah you are probably right, but you know, you can do it too.

So, now that I am done rambling and telling you all what is on my mind, now I ask of you to give me some ideas of what I can do. I am looking for positive feedback, and though I might feel very adamant about my situation, I am still going to try to give it a go, and maybe get some good stuff to show my boyfriend that you all are right about what you have done for yourselves. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    My BMR is set for 1.5 pounds per week, so 2070 calories. I usually eat around 1850 - 2000.

I burn 1000-1400 calories every 4-5 days doing Turbo Jam or The Firm. I have a small snack if my calories dip below 1200 after figuring in exercise.

I started at 356 pounds, and I'm down to 339. It's been nine weeks, so I'm well within the healthy weight loss rate of 1-2 pounds per week.

30 pounds in six months is completely doable. That's about a pound per week. :)
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I've lost a little over 50 in 5 months.

I started eating kinda low.

But, I honestly think a lot of my weight loss was a shock to my system. I was eating A LOT of crap before this. I was eating fast food several times a day. I never cooked. Anything. Didn't even know what a serving size was. I input one of my old days just to see how bad it really was and I was over 7,000 calories a day.
  • ShifuYaku
    ShifuYaku Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I've lost a little over 50 in 5 months.

I started eating kinda low.

But, I honestly think a lot of my weight loss was a shock to my system. I was eating A LOT of crap before this. I was eating fast food several times a day. I never cooked. Anything. Didn't even know what a serving size was. I input one of my old days just to see how bad it really was and I was over 7,000 calories a day.

Wow, I know how that feels. Sometimes I could just down certain foods and not even know or care how much I was eating. Now that I know, I feel a little better about eating smaller amounts. :)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I set it to lose two pounds a week, and stuck with it. I excised 3 days a week for 30-60 minutes, then 4 days and then 5 days and then 6 days. Sticking to the calories is most important.
  • jojojo909090
    jojojo909090 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am trying to give up chips now, and it's hard, but slowly and surely, I am hoping to move to only one kind of chip, or even change them out for some good ones. I eat more fruits, and I wish I would eat more vegetables, but prices are high. I drink water with flavor (10 calories per pack! :))) ), and a lot of tea. I am feeling this way of eating changing what I used to eat is being good for me.

A gentle suggestion: You mentioned that you don't eat enough vegetables because of the high prices. I suspect that if you have a look at where your food budget goes you may find that by not buying items like chips or flavoured watered you will be able to afford more vegetables. They are way more important to your well being than any processed product and would have a positive impact on your health. :) 100gms of chips will cost more than 100gms of most vegetables. :)
  • achief192
    achief192 Posts: 192
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds in 5-6 months. I ran about 12-15 miles a week (3 miles at a time). I did 100 pushups 3 times a week. Diet was kind of light, I ate about 1200-1500 a day, mostly vegetables, fruits, oatmeal, grilled salmon, grilled chicken. I would slip up now and then on the weekend and eat pizza and beer.

I did that before I knew as much about eating, so I can't recommend eating that light. But it worked for me.
  • ShifuYaku
    Options
    I am trying to give up chips now, and it's hard, but slowly and surely, I am hoping to move to only one kind of chip, or even change them out for some good ones. I eat more fruits, and I wish I would eat more vegetables, but prices are high. I drink water with flavor (10 calories per pack! :))) ), and a lot of tea. I am feeling this way of eating changing what I used to eat is being good for me.

A gentle suggestion: You mentioned that you don't eat enough vegetables because of the high prices. I suspect that if you have a look at where your food budget goes you may find that by not buying items like chips or flavoured watered you will be able to afford more vegetables. They are way more important to your well being than any processed product and would have a positive impact on your health. :) 100gms of chips will cost more than 100gms of most vegetables. :)

The water with flavor are those little Crystal Light packs that you put in water bottles... just wanted to clarify. But yeah I know....... ^_^; Vegetables are better than chips. Which vegetables should I be eating? I already eat a lot of tomatoes and cucumbers. Onions go in the food sometimes... what else is there? :)
  • shannonperry13
    Options
    i eat 1800-1900 cal/day. exercise 3-5 days/wk for 30-90 min have lost 46 pounds in 16 weeks :)
  • ShifuYaku
    Options
    i eat 1800-1900 cal/day. exercise 3-5 days/wk for 30-90 min have lost 46 pounds in 16 weeks :)

Wow, that is fantastic! Way to go :)))
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Honestly, for me (on my way to losing 30 lbs in 6 mos, it's 3 mos today since I've started and I've lost 15 so far) is portion control. That's really it. I don't drink a lot of water, because I forget but I drink TONS of iced tea that is black and plain. I don't have a lot of processed foods lately and if I do, it's usually fried chicken or chicken strips when eating out. That's my one caveat. It's really about finding that middle ground and being comfortable. Almost everyday, I have a salad and I started smoothies this week. As far as fitness goes, I run 5x a week for about 40-45 mins and the past 2 runs I've had well over an hour. Planning to have one long run everyweek. I do nothing else.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I love steamed broccoli and I grill up green peppers for my food a lot. I'm not a big veggie eater but love raw spinach as well and potatoes, though I stick to small ones because they are more starchy.
  • jojojo909090
    Options

The water with flavor are those little Crystal Light packs that you put in water bottles... just wanted to clarify. But yeah I know....... ^_^; Vegetables are better than chips. Which vegetables should I be eating? I already eat a lot of tomatoes and cucumbers. Onions go in the food sometimes... what else is there? :)

Courgettes
    Pumpkin
    Green beans
    Eggplant
    Peppers
    Mushrooms
    Spinach
    Cabbage
    Rocket leaves
    Bean sprouts
    Asparagus
    Leeks

...the list of wonderful veges is endless. Buying what's in season is the best strategy though to keep costs down, and growing small trays of mixed salad leaves can be done anywhere, even your window sill if you don't have any outdoor area.

I would look to minimise veges like potatoes, carrots, corn and peas - all are quite high in carbs.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options

You can blend baby spinach with your fruit in a smoothie. You can get frozen vegetables on sale for a dollar and they are usually 12-16 oz.
  • ShifuYaku
    Options

Courgettes
    Pumpkin
    Green beans
    Eggplant
    Peppers
    Mushrooms
    Spinach
    Cabbage
    Rocket leaves
    Bean sprouts
    Asparagus
    Leeks

...the list of wonderful veges is endless. Buying what's in season is the best strategy though to keep costs down, and growing small trays of mixed salad leaves can be done anywhere, even your window sill if you don't have any outdoor area.

I would look to minimise veges like potatoes, carrots, corn and peas - all are quite high in carbs.

Yum, green beans and eggplant. I don't like asparagus, but I will settle for the cabbage in salad! And probably spinach too. Thanks!
  • ShifuYaku
    Options

You can blend baby spinach with your fruit in a smoothie. You can get frozen vegetables on sale for a dollar and they are usually 12-16 oz.

Are frozen vegetables the same as fresh ones? I always avoid them, thinking the nutrition gets removed during the freezing process...
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    68 lbs in 5 months, did nothing special, got moving, never killed myself working out, ate close to my goal as possible , exercised to get the extra calories that I wanted. my diary is open if you want to track it.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I was eating a lot of fast food before I seriously changed my habits. The calorie content adds up incredibly fast eating fast food.
    Now, I very seldom eat fast food, only about 3 times in the past three months, and I allowed for it on my log in. I had Subway twice and a Dairy Queen grilled chicken sandwich. I ordered it with nothing on it and did not eat the bun.
    I grill every Sunday, and make enough to use for lunches and to add protein on salads during the week. I always have carrots and celery prepped and in the refrigerator. I love fresh strawberries and watermelon, and usually have them on hand prepped as well.
    Weight Watchers string cheese is surprisingly good, (better than the regular in my opinion), and only 50 calories per piece. Another thing I like for snacking is air popped pop corn. I have not had any sweets, except for 1 Dove Promise, the very first week I seriously started on MFP, and I did allow for it (40 calories) on my log in.
    You would be surprised how much money that I am saving by not eating fast food. Fresh, unprocessed food has worked well for me. I have a lot to loose, but my 3 month anniversary here is on the 12th next week, and as of this morning, I am down 52.5 pounds, from when I started.
    It is doable, but it takes commitment. Everyone is different, but you can do it! You are worth it! Best of Luck to you!
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've lost just under 50 since the beginning of the year but have plateaued for the past month and a half, it's been slow going since then. Have upped my cals to see if that helps but not noticing a difference so getting frustrated.
    Originally I was at 1200 cals andfor the past month or so upped to 1500, have started eating back more of my exerecise cals- I go to the gym for at least an hour most days: started off just doing the elliptical or zumba, now it's not unusual for me to do both in a day and get about 10 hrs a week in at the gym.
    i still do some fast food (and haven't been so great about that lately) but I also cook more than I used to, but really it's been more about portoin size than anything else for me, personally. I know, and make it clear to others, that if there's food in front of me I will eat it. So that bowl of chips and salsa at the Mexican restaurant? Move it away from me now, please. Keeping food out of sight for me really helps.
  • lexishea
    lexishea Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Kirsten!!!! :smile: I think you can TOTALLY make your summer goal!!!! I'm 5'6" and have lost 53.5 lbs since the 1st of January... but sadly, that's only about halfway there. :grumble: I know everyone has to find that "something" that works for them-for me, I walk 3 miles a day (15 minute miles), 6 days a week. 3 weeks ago, I added in the Couch to 5K plan and am doing that about 4 times a week-NEVER thought I'd be able to "run"!!! :smile: I am one of those people who has to have my sweets at night, so I plan a little treat into my day's calories. Also, on Sundays I let myself have my flavored coffee, and have some kind of "treat meal" and I don't bother logging my calories. Gives me something to look forward to during the week!! :laugh: I've noticed that the more weight I lose, the less I want to "cheat" on my Sundays, though!!! Keep up the hard work-I know you can do this!!!!
  • jojojo909090
    Options
    Frozen vegetables are fine nutritonally, and definitely a good way to stretch your budget. Most are snap frozen within hours of being picked.