Having issues running... Can anyone help me ???

Options
I have been running on and off for the past 5 months, started walking then running...

Now I have about 50% good runs, 50% of the time they SUCK!! Have never been able to run for more than 1.5 solid mile without stopping..... getting fed up !

It's not cardiovascular for me, that part is fine, I love to run..... it's my damn calves and periformis muscle.

I have tried stretching, rolling my muscles before and after runs. I take Advil for inflammation.... I have even iced my legs....

The worst issue I am having is with my calves.

I guess the best way to describe it is when you step your leg flexes or tightens, then when you lift up your muscle relaxes.... well. mine never relax..., my calf is a rock hard ball, I stop and stretch, takes at least 30 sec each calf to get them somewhat loosened up and then start running again, 100 yards later, back to rock solid balls

They are not painful at all other than a TIGHT feeling but they are not comfortable to run with either, there is no cramping though...just big & tight and like lead.

I have been to a running store, I run in Brooks Glycerin 9, I am a neutral runner with a med/high arch, mildly supinate. This is not a hydration or diet issue.

Thoughts and help would be appreciated ??

Replies

• Jme2012
    Jme2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    can't wait to hear the responses. I have been to physical therapy for the exact samething years ago. They did some sort of ultrasonic therapy a few times and he more or less told me that when you workout your muscle ins expanding at a greater rate then
    the encasing of the muscle is. And this also effects the surrounding areas. My calves get SOOOO tight and rock hard I am forced to stop. He told me to start off real slow for a while, don't just start running. Walk for a good amount of time. But this never explained why on some runs it happened and some it did not. However, since then I am back to square and same issue, rock hard calves that actually force me to stop bc of pain. And like you doesn't always happen, no rhyme or reason. I too would love to understand this better.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i call it a loaded rubber band. :frown:

What kind of shoes do you wear when you _aren't_ running (or did you wear for years before you started running)? Have you worn high-heeled shoes a lot (as in more than 1.5-2 inches high)? If you wear (or wore for a long time) higher heels you could have shortened calf muscles that are protesting from the additional extension (heel drop). Stretching while you are running won't address this if it's an issue; it's a long term fix requiring diligent, focused extension. And of course not wearing shoes with high heels (or heels higher than what is on your running shoe) any more.

Another thing could be how you are articulating your foot. Ever sprained your ankles badly? How well does your calcaneus move? If it's stiff or immobile, your ankle won't flex well and your calves take the brunt of it. Another potential culprit: do you run on your toes or balls of your feet? That can cause the rubber band effect over time as well. For some, a midfoot plant can alleviate this.

I had some pretty loaded rubber band like symptoms for a few years and it turns out I had limited ankle mobility. Once we fixed that (and I worked to regain more mobility in the calf as well) the calf tightness disappeared. Google "dynamic calf stretch" for some good, different ways to get mobility in the calves.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I don't think that my everyday shoes have anything to do with it, I never wear heels to work, only about 2x a year on weekends....

My ankle flexibility may have something to do with it, I broke my right in 3 places many years ago and it was not set correctly, but that would not make sense why some runs are perfectly fine and I can knock out 2-3 miles perfectly....

The foot landing, I am a mid foot striker, I thought I might be landing on the balls of my feet but I was really conscience of it yesterday to make sure i was not and I don't think I am... I feel all weight on my whole foot....

I am going to google the calcaneus, maybe work on some ankle flexing instead of my calves so much....

I have also thought and considered compartment syndrome... but I am just not convinced
  • Dahllywood
    Dahllywood Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    bump. I went away on a month-long vacation with no running and now I am having the same symptoms when I run
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    I was just studying the bottom of my running shoes, I have 80% of the wear on the outside edges of my shoes, maybe I am heel striking on the outside and then rolling along the outside...

I have known, and that just confirmed that I am a Supinator, there are heel cup ortho inserts I can get that offer more cushioning as well as builds up the outside edge of my foot, might pick some up today and try them.

From what I have read a supinator can not become more ankle/calf flexible.... no matter how many stretches or exercises they do.... its worse and harder to fix than being a pronator ( ankles turning in)
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My hunch is the ankle is the culprit. It's probably the root of the supination, too (in other words, the supination is a symptom, not the problem). If it is the calcaneal glide, once that is addressed the stretching isn't really needed. You probably need to get that foot moving correctly first. But, like I said, just a hunch.

Do you have access to a manual physical therapist? Not a chiropractor...a manual physical therapist.
  • tabinmaine
    Options
    My hunch is the ankle is the culprit. It's probably the root of the supination, too (in other words, the supination is a symptom, not the problem). If it is the calcaneal glide, once that is addressed the stretching isn't really needed. You probably need to get that foot moving correctly first. But, like I said, just a hunch.

Do you have access to a manual physical therapist? Not a chiropractor...a manual physical therapist.

Not that I know of, we live up in Northern Maine, not access to anything lol I could go see a PT as well as a Chiro too.... I saw some ortho inserts online for supination, cradles the heels and builds up the side of your foot, going to order and try a pair of those....