Calories... Are They Kidding?!!!

Options

Replies

• kalyn_QT
    kalyn_QT Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yeah logging the foods was a huge eye opener for me. I was shocked by the values of some foods. Now i plan my meals in the mornings for the whole day so i know it will all work out. I even under shoot calories leading up to a cheat meal for a balancing act.
  • jeremy_ms
    jeremy_ms Posts: 1
    Options
    Like most of the others that have posted, I was surprised at the amount of calories I was consuming before I started to keep up with what I was eating. I used another website for a long time until I discovered MFP. Love it!

I lost 40 pounds over an 8 month period and was walking/running during that time. During the winter I gained 10-15 pounds but have already taken that back off since I started using MFP. I still run three days a week and am looking forward to my first half marathon in October.

Good luck!
  • tarheelteacher
    tarheelteacher Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Definitely! After even one week of tracking food I immediately understood exactly why I was so overweight. Alot of it had to do with what I was eating, not so much how much. I have changed what I eat a great deal and I am rarely truly hungry. Good luck on your journey.
  • CourtneyHollinger
    CourtneyHollinger Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was very shocked... I cant get to the recommended amount with me exercising. So I try to maintain a 1300-1500 calories. But it tells me about 2000 on average.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options

I'm curious if you all out there were as shocked as I was about how many calories you were consuming?

Thx,
    Scott

Yep, very much so. Actually logging the foods I was consuming has been a very educational experience.
  • beachloe
    beachloe Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I was definitely shocked when I realized how much I was overeating. Atkins was always my diet of choice in the past and calories were not considered at all in that diet - only carbs. I totally agree that by logging our food it helps us to realize exactly where we are going wrong, and it helps us to make smarter food choices.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I've not really reduced my calories since starting MFP, I am actually eating more these days and I wasn't exactly starving myself based on calories ... nourishment was another matter.

I have, however, kicked some things into touch and focussed on managing and optimising my hormones and metabolism.

I also exercise less intensely.

If someone had told me this was the way to go 3 months ago I would have laughed. I have spent a long time treating weight management as a simple maths exercise (in/out. thermodynamics, 3500 calories = ... blah, blah), what a waste of time.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Its more than just the calories for me. Its watching EVERYTHING. Its seeing where all my sugar and sodium are coming from.
    I know sugar is an evil i need to get away from (that and 'carbs'). And its interesting seeing how much sugar is in everything, even if you aren't eating sweets! Making my bowl of 'healthy' cereal (Kashi, Special K, bran flakes), with fresh fruit, sprinkling of walnuts, 1% milk, and iced coffee with sugar free (ha) creamer and 1% milk again. Seems fairly healthy. And calories aren't high, as long as I have proper serving size.. BUT I almost reach my sugar goals for the day!!!
    So its been constantly editing and trying to break the habits.
    I'm hypoglycemic, have hereditary high blood pressure and being a vegetarian I was shocked to recently find out my cholesterol levels were a little high (though I did bring them back down, and I'd love to know what they're at now, just from a few weeks of much healthier options). So watching everything, not just calories, is so necessary.
  • siobhanbeam
    Options
    I have excercised religously 3-4 days a week ever since kids were born (6 yrs ago) and for the most part did great with my weight. THEN I turned 42 and went back to work part time and everything went down hill (or would that be up-hill?) from there. I continued to exercise as much as I could but could not keep the weight from piling on. I know I was "refueling" more during the day since I was more tired but had no idea just how many calories I was consuming (I have done WW before so am familiar with serving sizes - guess I forgot). Now that I am on track with this program and know why I am gaining weight, I am much more motivated to skip the extra protein bar (I thought if I ate protein with every meal I would be ok - not) and excercise more frequently to get the extra calories. I have been doing the program for 6 days and have lost 2 pounds already. I also increased my water intake, which helps suppress my appetite too. Can't wait to weigh in each week!
  • SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've been surprised by the calorie count and serving sizes all week!! (Today I've been on here for one week.) I've sooo obviously been having servings that are way too big, and I had no idea! It's also opened my eyes to the amount of sodium in my diet, which is really not a good thing at all. So I'm not thinking of MFP as a "diet" I'm thinking of it as my way of tracking my food consumption so I can be healthier. If I lose weight in the process, well, I'll be even happier!!
  • jollycathy
    jollycathy Posts: 15
    Options
    I am new been here one week today. I had no clue how many calories I was consuming ignorance is bliss?? Well my body didnt think so. One week into a healthier life and I feel great! Still have SO much to learn so feel free to add me :)
  • 76pounds
    76pounds Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    im ocd about calories so when I don't know how how many calories are in something, I count it as a binge. lmfao. It's insane.
  • bears461
    bears461 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    IF you stick with the program and track everything you put in your mouth you will be amazed and shocked at what things add up to. If I am eating out now I am so much more cautious about what I order.
  • WestCoastRed
    WestCoastRed Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with you...
  • WestCoastRed
    WestCoastRed Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yep. Simply logging the calories has made me way more conscious of what was going in before I started to keep track. It's a shocker.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I was REALLY surprized! Most of my extra calories were due to over the top portion sizes and too much oil used when I cooked.

One thing I can say that it seems to be getting easier and I'm getting used to regular sized portions and am never hungry.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Its totally true that you have no idea how many cals your eating esecially if your out. I have now reaslised that most cupcakes are around 500 which is huge for such a small item.I would love to find out the calouries info FOR CHIQUOTOS in the uk though, love there but havent gone in months as its gonna be bad. Some restaurents have the nutrional info and omg a simple steak and baked potato can be over 1000, I think where the hell do they get all those cals from, If i did it at home it would be so much less. I make pizza for the kids at home now instead of buying take away and i can control the cals that are going into it, which isgreat, I eat far more at home now and make my own foods, and somedays im shocked at what ive eaten because eating healthy, you really can eat alot.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Yeah I find tracking is really helping me too. I generally eat healthy, but tracking has made me realize I should have "this" snack instead of "that" one based on where I am calorie wise for the day. My problem is mostly not eating enough (I'm a notorious lunch skipper), then I eat too much for dinner or snack on something bad before dinner because I'm starved. I need to keep grazing throughout the day and that is hard because you have to be really aware of calories so you don't go over (you can really eat a lot and not go over you just have to eat the right things). So my advice for you is to graze, eat all the time just make sure you are snacking on healthy low calorie whole foods. I'm not an expert by any means I'm a work in progress but I do think I am legitimately learning thanks to these tools.
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Oh absolutely! I was shocked when I saw the calorie counts in many of the things I ate regularly. I must confess I miss eating with abandon, but I think those days are over and done with.
  • Evenstar2012
    Options
    Keeping track and counting your calories really opens up a new world.

You do not only see that you probably are taking in way too many calories, but you also find out that it is not that hard to eat lots without taking in loads of calories. I am not feeling hungry, I eat a bit less, but I eat healthy and I exercise just 10-15 minutes daily and that is enough to start losing weight. Not going to expect to lose 100lbs in a week, but I will get there ...