Proper Way to Go Vegetarian?

Options
I am currently not a very big meat eater and I do not honestly enjoy the taste of most meats (or the calories for that matter); however, my parents voices are still in my head about the horrors of not getting proper nutrients while not eating meats. I have a genetic condition which makes me require more calcium and protein then most individuals so this has been a bit of my concern as well.

My question is for the vegetarians out there, Do you take any special precautions to get enough of the proper nutrients? Do you take any specific supplements, ect.? I am interested.

Thanks.

Replies

• prudenfit
    prudenfit Posts: 21
    Options
    Most vegetarians are fine so long as we eat a wide range of nutritious foods. Soymilk, beans and veggie burgers, and spinach are my favorites for calcium, protein, and iron respectively. However, since you have a condition, I'd definitely take a multi-vitamin and maybe other supplements for omega3s, and iron (especially as a girl!). There are also some yummy protein powders out there! (and fish if you decide to continue to eat seafood...)
  • suzannnicole
    suzannnicole Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been veg for 25 years. I feel good and have never struggled with my weight much. Last time I got my cholesterol checked, the doc said it was the same as a newborn baby. I'm not here to brag, I'm just here to say don't worry about a thing! I have been asked how I get enough protein and nutrients. It's quite the stubborn myth that meat is a healthy food when in reality, it's terrible for your colon and can cause heart disease, cancer, and other ailments. When I started mfp, I saw that I actually was eating TOO much protein! It's not hard for me to go over my protein allotment for the day just with my usual foods like oat bran, dark chocolate, greek yogurt, greens, lentil soup, beans, etc. You will be so much better off on the veg diet. I believe it is a good idea to keep dairy in order to get some variety so you can avoid too many fake processed foods made from soy. Actually, you will be better off staying away from any foods in a box. Whole foods is the way to go for the best health.
  • suzannnicole
    suzannnicole Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    One more thing, my German mother flipped when I told her I was not eating meat anymore. I was 14. That night, she made spaghetti in meat sauce and told me I was not leaving the table until I ate it. I didn't eat it. Eventually, as she asked around and learned more about vegetarianism, she understood that I was making a healthier choice and respected it. Eventually, she cooked with meat less and less; she no longer had to have it with every meal. Now, she lives in our mother-in-law suite and eats (and enjoys) my vegetarian meals for every meal unless we go out! So, your choice could even have a positive impact on the rest of your family. Go for it!
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    ^ my grandmother did the same to me, cept I was 4 years old. Then she told me that I could be veggie if I cooked my own food. I subsequently almost set the kitchen on fire trying to make toast in a saucepan. :p I've always hated the taste and texture of meat right from baby food. In my 25 years, I've never knowingly eaten it.

Protein is no problem for me, I eat oatmeal and lentils and Quorn and cottage cheese and nuts, at least two portions a day. I have no problem getting everything I need. I did over-binge on cheese, but not anymore. That's why I'm here. I do take a a vit and mineral supplement, as well as Omega3 oils, (doc said so for my joints >.>)

Remember why you made this choice, and what you are doing it for. It's not only possible, its one of the healthiest diets you can have. low fat, low salt, high fibre etc.

You can even compromise a little like my mother does - she has vegetarian meals for the majority of the time but likes to have meat for the added protein once every 3-4 weeks. My brother is a weekending carnivore, though =[

One thing, if you decide to still eat seafood, you are not a vegetarian. You're a pescatarian. :)

Good luck, feel free to add me. xx
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    vegan 7 1/2 years. never had a problem with any vitamins except vitamin d, but ive always had a problem with that. ghost white red head that doesnt stay out in the sun much. i cant stand the protein question either. i get plenty. sometimes too much. just make sure you take a multi-vitamin. very important.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    What about fish? Not trying to say there is anything wrong with not eating meat but it's another option that is usually pretty healthy for you. Beans, lentils, soy, morningstar products (though watch the salt content), eggs, yogurt, nuts, etc., are all good sources of vegetarian friendly options for protein. I eat animals but find that sometimes no meat is ok once in a while.
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    ^ my grandmother did the same to me, cept I was 4 years old. Then she told me that I could be veggie if I cooked my own food. I subsequently almost set the kitchen on fire trying to make toast in a saucepan. :p I've always hated the taste and texture of meat right from baby food. In my 25 years, I've never knowingly eaten it.

Protein is no problem for me, I eat oatmeal and lentils and Quorn and cottage cheese and nuts, at least two portions a day. I have no problem getting everything I need. I did over-binge on cheese, but not anymore. That's why I'm here. I do take a a vit and mineral supplement, as well as Omega3 oils, (doc said so for my joints >.>)

Remember why you made this choice, and what you are doing it for. It's not only possible, its one of the healthiest diets you can have. low fat, low salt, high fibre etc.

You can even compromise a little like my mother does - she has vegetarian meals for the majority of the time but likes to have meat for the added protein once every 3-4 weeks. My brother is a weekending carnivore, though =[

One thing, if you decide to still eat seafood, you are not a vegetarian. You're a pescatarian. :)

Good luck, feel free to add me. xx

Cheese! I love cheese. And that has a lot to do why I am here too! I've eaten too many carbs and cheese being vegetarian. Heck, even before I was vegetarian I ate it too much.
    I've never been much of a meat eater myself and finally took the official plunge 13 years ago.
    But I also wondered if I was getting enough protein. And since logging my food on here, I am also shocked to learn I often eat 'too much' protein. If you eat a healthy, balanced diet.. you should get all the protein and nutrients you need.
    I often take daily vitamin supplements as well- but I do not take Omega 3 via fish oil.. Despite my doctor constantly telling me to take it. Even after I tell her I'm vegetarian. I get my Omega 3 supplement from flax seed oil (or sprinkling ground flaxseed on my food)
    A side note-- at least in my case, NOBODY remembers you're vegetarian. You constantly get asked if you want meat. Usually they remember a second later, after you look at them funny. But many times you have to remind them.
    And they will also always assume you're vegan and don't eat dairy.