My STRENGTH/WEIGHT TRAINING plan. Is this a good???

Options
2»

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    if your going to do any weight training
    I have done a lot of reading into this as im training to be a personal fitness instructor .. any weight training that you do always work upper and lower body on different sessions if this at all possible..
    also if your doing weights and your unsure if the weight is to much or not enough there is one simple rule of thumb.. work within your strength for example set your self a weight that you can just about finish 12 reps per set if you can do it easy then the weight isnt enough . if you struggle to do this and your losing form you need to lower the weight..

And this, folks, is an example of the three crappy trainers I hired. . .

1. You can train full body every training session, if you don't train every day. You need at least a full day of rest in between sessions, but Stronglifts and Starting Strength are both based on 3-4 times a week, full body every session.

2. Rep ranges vary depending on goals. If strength is the goal, the reps in the 5-8 rep range are appropriate.

i dont agree with you sayng he's an example of a crappy trainer. the advice on the weights to use is pretty good. all the crappy trainers i know would have immediately told her to go with the light weight she can lift for 15-20 reps because anything else would make her bulky :laugh:

as far as separating it out, maybe he meant if she wanted to do those 5011 exercises. if she were really wanting to work on isolation exercises like that then splitting it up would make sense. that way she'd only be spending 1.5 hours in the weight room instead of 3 :laugh:
  • adrianfm1977
    adrianfm1977 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    if your going to do any weight training
    I have done a lot of reading into this as im training to be a personal fitness instructor .. any weight training that you do always work upper and lower body on different sessions if this at all possible..
    also if your doing weights and your unsure if the weight is to much or not enough there is one simple rule of thumb.. work within your strength for example set your self a weight that you can just about finish 12 reps per set if you can do it easy then the weight isnt enough . if you struggle to do this and your losing form you need to lower the weight..

And this, folks, is an example of the three crappy trainers I hired. . .

1. You can train full body every training session, if you don't train every day. You need at least a full day of rest in between sessions, but Stronglifts and Starting Strength are both based on 3-4 times a week, full body every session.

2. Rep ranges vary depending on goals. If strength is the goal, the reps in the 5-8 rep range are appropriate.

i dont agree with you sayng he's an example of a crappy trainer. the advice on the weights to use is pretty good. all the crappy trainers i know would have immediately told her to go with the light weight she can lift for 15-20 reps because anything else would make her bulky :laugh:

as far as separating it out, maybe he meant if she wanted to do those 5011 exercises. if she were really wanting to work on isolation exercises like that then splitting it up would make sense. that way she'd only be spending 1.5 hours in the weight room instead of 3 :laugh:

thank you
    you took the words out of my mouth and put it in better terms . very grateful
    I was only saying what I had been learning from some of the best trainers .. who work for la muscle and bam body and fitness.. and many others .also on my fitness and personal training course.
    ok my wording could have been better.
  • synchronicityii
    Options
    fitnessman197 wrote:

"yes i know you was but as you was saying and yes quoting from that site its your site you use
    I use a number of sites and yes they all state different things .. Dean ash. Neale cranwell And a lot of others say different things but i dont quote what they say i take from all of them .. and using the method I have been using has changed my body in 7 weeks from fat to a more leaner physique ... using the out line that suggested .. I have also got 4 others doing the same work out and so far all are changing for the better .. with visible 6 packs and toned muscle nothing over the top.. .... "

If you're a novice (and if you're starting off "fat" then you likely are) almost ANY workout routine will have you showing considerable improvement in the first 7 weeks. Heck, it's pretty hard to mess up a strength training routine in the first 7 weeks.

Beyond that, there are multiple sources with peer-reviewed published articles and/or very high level coaching credentials who will inform you that working different amounts of reps are useful for differing goals (as ishtar13 has noted), that you most certainly can work upper and lower body in the same session but the main issue is allowing for sufficient recovery (you don't get stronger from lifting weights, you get stronger from RECOVERING FROM lifting weights) which is why you shouldn't lift two days in a row, at least, certainly not as a novice, where you are inducing stress at every workout.

That's pretty basic, and I can give some sources for that. If you have other sources to support you, you could let us know what they are, what their credentials are, and why they are saying what they are saying.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Ok. So, I read the A Simple Beginner's Routine on bodybuilding.com and would like to start today. However, I am still a little confused.

It says to do Squats, Bench Presses, Bent-Over Rows, Overhead Barbell Presses, Stiff-Legged Deadlifts and Barbell Curls. But isn't this a little vague? It doesn't say which exercises. For example, what kind of specific bench press is best?

I realize now my routine is too much and I don't want to injure myself. How can I break it down to reflect the beginners workout? Which are the best lifts?

Thanks!

If you plan to get the most out of your work out time you probably are looking to start with strength gains.
    You probably want to keep your work out to about an hour long for energy and concentration reasons.
    if working out every second day
    workout A.... squats, flat bench press, bent over rows(with over hand grip).
    workout B.....squats, Overhead Barbell Presses, Stiff-Legged Dead-lifts
    keep rep in the range ishtar13 suggested......5 for strength,10 for size.
    probably in the 4 to 5 set range would be good for a start.
    Start with a weight where you can do all the reps in all 5 sets and insure your form is good for the first few work outs.
  • adrianfm1977
    Options
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I dont need to support what i have put .. with a source. I find information in all types of places from fitness videos the internet and other male and female body builders . that work for top fitness companies..
    I agree with your quotes that recovery is most important . .. in a lot of my paperwork its written that if you can where possible work upper and lower On different days do so .. then the muscle has better chance of recovery.. thats why I put what I put.. ok this isnt for everyone and yes you can do it. but my personal experience and training suggest to try working on different days ..

Just one thing here: if you are going to be a trainer, know that thinking your way is the One True Way for everyone will lose you clients.

What works for you as a relatively healthy man in your 30s may not work for an insulin-resistant woman in perimenopause, for example. And it's likely that you'll have people in the latter category looking for help.

You need to assess the CLIENT'S goals, not what you think they want.

The reason I fired my last trainer was that I kept telling him I wanted to train for strength, and he kept pushing isolation machines with high reps and cardio because he thought I needed to lose weight. Certain medications that I take make losing weight difficult and I told him in the beginning that weight loss was not my primary goal. Didn't stop him from pushing a one-size-fits-all plan. So, he got fired and I did research about my goals. Now I'm getting stronger.

Also, being able to communicate is an essential skill for someone who makes a living selling himself (and that's what trainers do). Sloppy writing and grammar could hurt your future business.

You may want to read some of ninerbuff's posts here. He's been a trainer for a long time and trains a variety of people. He also writes damn well and backs up his posts with research. Crisanderson is another good one to read.
  • synchronicityii
    Options
    I dont need to support what i have put .. with a source. I find information in all types of places from fitness videos the internet and other male and female body builders . that work for top fitness companies..
    I agree with your quotes that recovery is most important . .. in a lot of my paperwork its written that if you can where possible work upper and lower On different days do so .. then the muscle has better chance of recovery.. thats why I put what I put.. ok this isnt for everyone and yes you can do it. but my personal experience and training suggest to try working on different days ..

Well, right there, you do realize that there's a difference between the type of training done by bodybuilders vs. that done by powerlifters vs. that done by weightlifters doing olympic style lifts, correct? Granted, at the novice level (and hey, I'm a novice as well) almost anything is better than sitting in front of the computer eating Garlic Bagel Crisps, but at some point it's good to determine exactly what one's goals are.

For bodybuilding, where the goal is to build "big muscles" but not necessarily increase strength, one would want to do set with greater reps than in strength training. In addition, bodybuilders tend to think of individual muscles rather than the body as a whole integrated system, hence for an advanced bodybuilder a "split routine" makes some sense. But for a novice just trying to gain more strength (which really should be the goal of any novice to weight training), that may be a suboptimal choice.

And given the plethora of sources on the internet, many of which are less than reliable, it's good to be able to say at least in general where your info is coming from.
  • adrianfm1977
    Options
    http://www.deanash.co.uk
    http://bambody.com
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workout.htm
    this is also the course i have just started http://www.eifitness.com
    Im new to this so there is a lot to learn and with people like the ones I have encountered.. in the last 2 hours or so .. i would think twice about who i would add as friends on here and who i would train in the future...... lastly i have one thing to say this is a fitness site not an English exam .. get over it!!! not going to post after this
    blocked and reported
  • synchronicityii
    Options
    http://www.deanash.co.uk
    http://bambody.com
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/workout.htm
    this is also the course i have just started http://www.eifitness.com
    Im new to this so there is a lot to learn and with people like the ones I have encountered.. in the last 2 hours or so .. i would think twice about who i would add as friends on here and who i would train in the future...... lastly i have one thing to say this is a fitness site not an English exam .. get over it!!! not going to post after this

Our hearts bleed for the loss.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Hey OP,

Check out this site

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/

This is what I do. Would be interested in anyone's feedback on it too. This is actually a really nice site with lots of info and different suggested routines depending on your goals, available time, etc.
  • ishtar13
    Options
    Hey OP,

Check out this site

This is what I do. Would be interested in anyone's feedback on it too. This is actually a really nice site with lots of info and different suggested routines depending on your goals, available time, etc.

They're all compound exercises, which is good. The exercises are very similar to SL and Starting Strength, not exactly the same, but you are doing a full body each time.

I might argue a bit with the 3x8-10, but for a beginner, sure. If you aren't progressing in weight/strength as fast as you'd like, you can always switch to a lower rep, higher set range keeping the same exercises. Try it for a couple months.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Here is the strength training plan I follow. It consists of five different compound movements. You do three of them one day, and another three the other day. Very simple and very effective. It's all you need to do and perfect for beginners. You will gain strength and burn fat.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Just one thing here: if you are going to be a trainer, know that thinking your way is the One True Way for everyone will lose you clients.

What works for you as a relatively healthy man in your 30s may not work for an insulin-resistant woman in perimenopause, for example. And it's likely that you'll have people in the latter category looking for help.

You need to assess the CLIENT'S goals, not what you think they want.

The reason I fired my last trainer was that I kept telling him I wanted to train for strength, and he kept pushing isolation machines with high reps and cardio because he thought I needed to lose weight. Certain medications that I take make losing weight difficult and I told him in the beginning that weight loss was not my primary goal. Didn't stop him from pushing a one-size-fits-all plan. So, he got fired and I did research about my goals. Now I'm getting stronger.

Also, being able to communicate is an essential skill for someone who makes a living selling himself (and that's what trainers do). Sloppy writing and grammar could hurt your future business.

You may want to read some of ninerbuff's posts here. He's been a trainer for a long time and trains a variety of people. He also writes damn well and backs up his posts with research. Crisanderson is another good one to read.

Thank you so much for the mention...it's very good for my ego to be spoke of in the same paragraph as Niner lol.

Honestly though...you've covered it all, and very well I might add. There's nothing I could say that would improve on it :).
  • moeheep
    moeheep Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Here is the strength training plan I follow. It consists of five different compound movements. You do three of them one day, and another three the other day. Very simple and very effective. It's all you need to do and perfect for beginners. You will gain strength and burn fat.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

DO THIS !!!!!!!!!
  • ishtar13
    Options

Thank you so much for the mention...it's very good for my ego to be spoke of in the same paragraph as Niner lol.

Honestly though...you've covered it all, and very well I might add. There's nothing I could say that would improve on it :).

I've been very impressed with the research-based answers the two of you give and critique. There's someone else, too, but I couldn't think of the person's name off the top of my head.

And thank you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo!

You've got some good exercises, but way way way too much volume. Even a major steroid user would have trouble recovering from that much volume.

If you're just starting out, and your plan is to work your whole body, every other day for three days a week (that's how I'm reading your post, anyway), then you just need one exercise for each of those muscle groups. 3 sets of each, not counting warmups, for like 5-8 total exercises, and get out of the gym in about 45-50 mins.

Others have posted some good routines but I will caution that you should have someone show you proper deadlift technique before you try it on your on. Phenomenal exercise but I see so many people with rounded backs and straight legs when they start off.

On second thought, have someone knowledgeable show you the proper way to perform every exercise.
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    Wow, that's a lot! Too much for just one day. Maybe try splitting it into 2 separate workouts for the day. :)
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Hey OP,

Check out this site

that was the site that i started with last summer and i really liked it. i used that beginners plan for about 4 months.