Best Heart rate monitor for gym classes

Options
I would like to be more accurate with my calories burned. And I guess a heart monitor would help, right?. I just started working out taking classes at the gym, mainly spinning, bodypump and floor Pilates. What kind/brand of heart rate monitor should I get? I read a lot of great review here re: Polar f4( or ft4?). I also do not want to pay an arm and a leg for it. Preferably under $100. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

Replies

• NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    Make sure you get on that is "coded" meaning it will only pick up for heart rate and not someone with a monitor that may be close to you in class.
  • have2Bfit
    have2Bfit Posts: 3
    Options
    Oh.... Great to know! I didn't know it can pick up somebody else's heart rate. Thanks for the tip!
  • mmurelli
    mmurelli Posts: 26
    Options
    i just got the polar ft7 from amazon for $75 w/ free shipping.
    it was easy to set up. and, the heart rate monitors on the cardio equipment at my gym picks up the signal and displays it, bonus.
    i used it for the first time today and during my workout of combined cardio and strength training i burned 1315 calories. i had no idea i was burning that many calories, i'm gonna have to re-think my calorie intake.
    i think it was a great investment.
  • dulabug
    dulabug Posts: 1
    Options
    I had a polar F11....and loved it....until I read the instructions that said it was safe to swim with. I took it swimming and within 2 minutes in the pool, it stopped working and even after two days in rice it won't work. So bummed, and unfortunately they aren't standing behind their product (it's no longer under warranty because it's a few years old). Prior to this happening, I was quite happy with it...very easy to use, worked great for multiple activities (running, gym classes, weight lifting, etc). Just don't take it swimming :-)
  • JennyNotSoSkinny
    JennyNotSoSkinny Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have the New Balance N4 specifically designed for women - LOVE IT!!!!
  • have2Bfit
    have2Bfit Posts: 3
    Options
    I have the New Balance N4 specifically designed for women - LOVE IT!!!!

I was at costco earlier and got new balance n4...hope i will like it. $39.99 wasnt bad. Thanks for all the input guys!