Running Safety

Options
It turns out that I have a pair of trail running shoes - I've been doing some reading and it seems like running on pavement with trail shoes can be a bad idea? Fortunately, there's a running/walking trail through one of the city's greenways just a few minutes from where I live. The thing is, I'm a single 25yr woman, and I watch the news. And CSI. And all of those shows. Suffice it to say, I'm a little nervous about running a trail like that, even though this is a generally safe area, I think.

Do you have any safety tips? I don't run after dark, but I do go alone. What's the TV hype vs. actual danger?

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    There was a post here recently about the same type of concern (and you're smart to be concerned for safety). Some of the ladies said they carried small canisters of made or pepper spray, or whistles, and some even carried weapons.
  • monkeybrain2012
    Options
    I've never paid attention to what kind of shoes I wore while running. If they feel good on my feet - I run in them.

As far as safety while running on the trail - I would say don't listen to any music so you can hear if anyone is approaching you, have your cell phone with you and mace (pepper spray). I suppose you can text a friend and let them know that you are going out running and then text them when you are back home. That way they would know to check in on you if you don't text back.

Good luck and enjoy your runs.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I've never paid attention to what kind of shoes I wore while running. If they feel good on my feet - I run in them.

As far as safety while running on the trail - I would say don't listen to any music so you can hear if anyone is approaching you, have your cell phone with you and mace (pepper spray). I suppose you can text a friend and let them know that you are going out running and then text them when you are back home. That way they would know to check in on you if you don't text back.

Simple, but effective advice!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options

This is great advice... Nobody should run alone without mace or pepper spray... Only run in places you feel are safe -- but remember the school shooting rampages of a few years back began in a group of SAFE SCHOOLS in GOOD COMMUNITIES... Best of all, find a running buddy and of course never run at night! (which you said you don't do)... You have "one life to live" -- use it wisely.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    When I run; I wear my road ID dog tags with a small can of pepper spray on the neck chain. I also have a sport tracker app that my husband can follow my run to see where I am. I always tell him where I'm running to, how far and how long so he knows where I am. Even if he's gone I text him so we can check in. I always scan my surroundings too. Keep a look out for behind you etc and watch people. My husband is a former PO so I've been taught all about keeping my eyes open lol. If I could run with my gun I would but it's way too risky. I live way out in the country but I still don't trust basic strangers.
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    There is some sort of device for runners that you can order that essentially tracks your where abouts. Google it! A friend was just telling me about this last night. I'm freaked out about the same thing. I stay on the main roads near my house and only do a trail if someone is with me. Can you find a running buddy just for trail runs?
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    i was.....running a lot, say 65-70miles per week. Now...meh'. What you'll find in Trail Shoes vs. Running Shoes is in the construction. Trail shoes offer a different lug pattern for more grip,...a wider heel for more off-road stability, and tend to be stiffer with a firmer sole. All of these are not so great when road/sidewalk running. Ps...skip the new minimalist running trend...i swear they were created by a Podiatrist looking for more business.

If you are a casual runner...determine your foot pattern...High arch, meidum arch, or low arch...very easy to do, stand with a wet foot on tile and look at the pattern. Next look at your walking shoes...every day pumps will do, check the heel wear pattern. Are you a Pronator...Supinator, or Neutral (look up the differences). Also note the width of the forefoot..do you need a wide toebox for instance.

Once you have this information, you will know what type of shoe to buy...the next is what brand. Avia have always been more women friendly, due to the tighter heel cup, and the shape of the Achilles cut out. Also look at Brooks, and the gold standard is Asics.

If you are heavy, look to New Balance..all of their seemingly stupid numbers actually have meaning and are geared to specific weights and foot types.

If you can do the foot mechanic assessment by yourself, then look to runnersworld.com for which shoe to buy...then look around for the rihgt price...Zappos is very good. If you cannot do the measurements, or are unsure. Go to Fleetfeet, or another reputable RUNNING store...note running is in caps, as the guy at Foot Locker has not a clue. A good store may ask to see you run a bit so dress properly...they are looking at your impact position, and on your gait....are you a heel striker....mid foot...fore foot?....

Running is easy, getting setup for running is bit tough, but it is worth it...the amount of downward force generated in running needs to be compensated for in the knees, and the feet, poor shoes will rebound the energy upwards to the knees and lower back.

also...find a running buddy, another woman or man in the neighborhood....never run with both headphones in (you'll get hit by a car or cyclist).....

Remember...the race is not to the swift....but to those that keep on running
  • CarrieMyPhilos
    CarrieMyPhilos Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Pepper spray! Great ideas and tips - and thanks for the solid explanation of trail vs. road shoes, I've been trying to figure it out. Thanks everyone!
  • MzCongeniality70
    MzCongeniality70 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    i was.....running a lot, say 65-70miles per week. Now...meh'. What you'll find in Trail Shoes vs. Running Shoes is in the construction. Trail shoes offer a different lug pattern for more grip,...a wider heel for more off-road stability, and tend to be stiffer with a firmer sole. All of these are not so great when road/sidewalk running. Ps...skip the new minimalist running trend...i swear they were created by a Podiatrist looking for more business.

If you are a casual runner...determine your foot pattern...High arch, meidum arch, or low arch...very easy to do, stand with a wet foot on tile and look at the pattern. Next look at your walking shoes...every day pumps will do, check the heel wear pattern. Are you a Pronator...Supinator, or Neutral (look up the differences). Also note the width of the forefoot..do you need a wide toebox for instance.

Once you have this information, you will know what type of shoe to buy...the next is what brand. Avia have always been more women friendly, due to the tighter heel cup, and the shape of the Achilles cut out. Also look at Brooks, and the gold standard is Asics.

If you are heavy, look to New Balance..all of their seemingly stupid numbers actually have meaning and are geared to specific weights and foot types.

If you can do the foot mechanic assessment by yourself, then look to runnersworld.com for which shoe to buy...then look around for the rihgt price...Zappos is very good. If you cannot do the measurements, or are unsure. Go to Fleetfeet, or another reputable RUNNING store...note running is in caps, as the guy at Foot Locker has not a clue. A good store may ask to see you run a bit so dress properly...they are looking at your impact position, and on your gait....are you a heel striker....mid foot...fore foot?....

Running is easy, getting setup for running is bit tough, but it is worth it...the amount of downward force generated in running needs to be compensated for in the knees, and the feet, poor shoes will rebound the energy upwards to the knees and lower back.

also...find a running buddy, another woman or man in the neighborhood....never run with both headphones in (you'll get hit by a car or cyclist).....

Remember...the race is not to the swift....but to those that keep on running

Excellent information! Thank you!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I run alone and always carry my phone (although it's in an armband, so no quick access), my Road ID wristband, a knife clipped to my pants/shorts/whatever I'm wearing, and my situational awareness. When I do run with headphones, I keep the volume low enough that I can hear cars approaching (and tractors and other farm equipment - I run through the local ag college!). I stay on the main roads most of the time, and I usually run early in the day. I've read other advice that says this tends to be a safer time of day since most of the bad guys are usually still sleeping it off at that time of day. :tongue: I run against the traffic so I can see cars approaching and not be surprised by one pulling up behind me. I keep my head up & look back over my shoulder often just to see what, if anything, is behind me - other runners, cyclists, and the aforementioned farm equipment. I look ahead as well - if I see something I don't like or am not comfortable with, whether it's a creepy looking dude or a big dust-making tractor, I change my path - cross the street, turn around and go the other way, whatever. I'd rather backtrack than run into trouble when my gut says detour! I don't deviate far from my planned route though - I also let my hubby know where I'm planning to run and for how long.
    My husband is a former PO so I've been taught all about keeping my eyes open lol. If I could run with my gun I would
    Same here! He's taught me a lot, and I keep telling my mother that if he's okay with my running habits, she can relax too. :tongue: I would also carry my gun if I could, but especially with summer here, I would need a much smaller gun. :wink:
  • WhatsRNutts
    Options
    I am a single mother so when I go out for runs I text my derby sister my route and approximate return time. I text her again when I get back. I carry a very sharp knife because my gun is too heavy.

Ps...skip the new minimalist running trend...i swear they were created by a Podiatrist looking for more business.
    Have you worn them? I have worn Vibrams for the past 3 years. While I was once plagued by knee and ankle problems they have now vanished. My work boots give me more feet problems than my minimalist shoes.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This is a thread that was posted on here recently, all about staying safe while running (specifically for women):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/648832-ruuning-jogging-and-being-safe

It's kind of funny, but I worry when I see a woman running ahead of me late at night. My concern is that if I run up behind her she may suddenly panic and mace/stab/shoot me.