Hungry at Night

Options
I have noticed that between 8 and 9 at night I start to get really hungry. I have already ate dinner, and sometimes already a snack but I always get hungry around that time. I know that I'm not supposed to eat close to bed time, but I'm not sure what to do. I was just wondering if anyone else has this happen and what you do about it.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I always eat around 10pm to 11pm at night while I watch the tube. What I don't do is eat breakfast and eat right around 12pm-1pm for my first meal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • msmimi
    msmimi Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I like to have Celestial Seasonings - Sleepytime Green Lemon Jasmine Decaf, a cup or two before bed helps me sleep and helps with hunger. If I'm really starving I have a very small peach or a cup of grapes. But I really try to just stick with the tea and promise myself a huge breakfast in the morning.
  • sweetpea0727
    sweetpea0727 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    when i get really hungry late at night i chew some sugar free gum and that tends to help most of the time. or a sugar free peppermint. if you must eat something snack on some green veggies.. something with little no or carbs
  • sweetpea0727
    sweetpea0727 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    i forgot to mention, also pounding down a cold glass of water will fill you up too!
  • math1182
    math1182 Posts: 15
    Options
    You is what you is (I'm a night-time snacker too).
    A lot of sites/experts tell you not to eat close to bedtime, but it doesn't make much difference IMO It's all cals in - cals out. I don't believe in fighting with myself, we all have different healthy eating patterns.

I adjust my balance of calories to allow for night-time nibbles. I'm lucky that I find it easy to go through most of the day on lighter meals. Breakfast 250cal Lunch 250cal Dinner400-500cal. I defer dessert to eat 1-2 hours after my main meal (replacing a snack) and that still leaves calories over for other nibbles.

Good Luck
  • Spudeata
    Spudeata Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You is what you is (I'm a night-time snacker too).
    A lot of sites/experts tell you not to eat close to bedtime, but it doesn't make much difference IMO It's all cals in - cals out. I don't believe in fighting with myself, we all have different healthy eating patterns.

I adjust my balance of calories to allow for night-time nibbles. I'm lucky that I find it easy to go through most of the day on lighter meals. Breakfast 250cal Lunch 250cal Dinner400-500cal. I defer dessert to eat 1-2 hours after my main meal (replacing a snack) and that still leaves calories over for other nibbles.

Good Luck

^ I do this as well - what I have found for me is that helps is to have a milky drink - I have a milky decaff coffee and it works for me, it is the warmth as well that has an effect as I've tried a protein drink and it didn't work the same. Think it is trial and error, but some good ideas here. x
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat something before bed, consider a casein protein shake as the protein takes up to 7 hours to be absorbed by the body.

"The purpose of eating protein directly before bedtime is to leave the body in a high metabolic state throughout the overnight fasting period. This is due to the fact that the consumption of slow-digesting amino acids keeps the body busy. It can take up to a few hours to fully digest protein and then metabolize the amino acids in the liver. This requires energy. Protein is also known to be filling, which should alleviate hunger during the night and keep you relatively satiated until morning."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/302686-protein-shakes-before-bed-and-weight-loss/#ixzz1xNyLAc5M
  • samtrois
    samtrois Posts: 27
    Options
    Ive taken to trying head to bed earlier ~930-10 ish and trying to read for a couple of hours, instead of watching TV.

Theory being active vs passive media, which I think means you concentrate when reading, more than just lazing back on the couch. Also 85% of TV these days is rubbish.

Also learns me betterer words n junk.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the other statements..I allow enough calories to have a snack at bedtime with a milky drink especially as I have to take painkillers before going to bed. Sometimes I have 4 creamcrackers and a l.c.cheese spread or a banana and a yogurt...and my bedtimes can range from anywhere between 10.30p.m. to 2.30am.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I eat probably 1/2 of my daily calories within an hour or two of bedtime. The bulk of this is dinner (which I usually eat around 10) the rest is snacks. I can't sleep on a non-full belly. I shave bits off the meals and snacks the rest of the day to allow for my evening consumption. If you're not going over your calories for the day-and the only reason you think you shouldn't eat before bedtime is because Oprah said so-then eat your calories whenever you feel like it.
  • adastra808
    adastra808 Posts: 11
    Options
    I tend to get really hungry around 7 or 8. Try "tricking" your stomach/brain into thinking it's full by filling it with leafy greens or a raw veggie plate. I find that a small apple really helps cut down on hunger pangs. I will also have a bowl of plain vegetable or chicken broth (reduced fat/sodium)) with a dash of tobasco sauce. I'm not a huge fan of spicy foods, so the heat from the tobasco makes me eat it slowly, making my brain think it's getting a full meal, while only being around 5 calories
  • emilylacey1010
    Options
    I am always hungry at night. I will not eat after 6 no matter what. I have that old after 6 it sticks saying in my head. So I go to bed with a bottle of water and hungry. Just look forward to my breakfast and workout in the morning. It's not that bad you will lose weight of you stop eating late.