Protein

Options
I'm climbing back on the weight loss wagon. I don't eat a lot of meat. I'm not a vegetarian or anything; I just genuinely do not like the taste of most meat. I know from previous experience, I feel like I'm STARVING when I'm dieting. I'm sure a lot of that comes from the lack of protein. I eat way too much processed foods/grains/etc which is how I ended up this way. Any suggestions are appreciated. This seems like a very supportive community and I'm excited to be a part of it. Thank you!

Replies

• Meadows18
    Meadows18 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Try using protein drinks. I bought my first protein powder today, and I can say it is not all that bad.
  • kathymillard1970
    Options
    try peanut butter It works for me
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm climbing back on the weight loss wagon. I don't eat a lot of meat. I'm not a vegetarian or anything; I just genuinely do not like the taste of most meat. I know from previous experience, I feel like I'm STARVING when I'm dieting. I'm sure a lot of that comes from the lack of protein. I eat way too much processed foods/grains/etc which is how I ended up this way. Any suggestions are appreciated. This seems like a very supportive community and I'm excited to be a part of it. Thank you!

Hi and welcome!! I understand what you mean about meat. I too struggle with eating most meat. However protein helps so much with hunger for me too. Thankfully I love fish, so I eat alot of that, (mostly tilapia with an occasional salmon) Also cottage cheese, and yogurt are my go toos and thank god for protein powder. I have at least one shake a day with protein powder. Good luck........and I know you will find your way! :flowerforyou: Dyanna
  • shayleeloves
    Options
    My favorite protein:
    Fish
    Peanut Butter
    Eggs
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    Try some "Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey" or some cottage cheese, eggs, milk, boneless skinless chicken breast, lean ground beef, lean ground turkey breast. :)
  • stormysky1
    Options
    Greek yogurt is wonderful for protein, and tastes really good too. I find myself full for quite awhile after having one of those as a snack, whereas a granola bar or something (with a similar amount of calories but pretty much all carbs) I am really hungry again just an hour later.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Whey protein
    Greek Yoghurt
    Dairy (milk, cheese etc)
    Nuts (but only if you need to add fat too as they do not give much 'bang for your calorie buck')
    Seeds (same with nuts)
    Eggs

My favorite to get a lot of protein - 6 oz greek yoghurt sprinkled with 1/4 scoop protein powder with berries mixed in. You can get 25 g of protein for less than 180 cals.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Black beans are outstanding to fill you up, are relatively high on protein, and also a good source of potassium.

As for meats, you should do some experimentation and learn to cook it well. I'd suggest picking up some cookbooks for some fresh ideas on how to prepare it.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese is another option. My latte today came with nearly 20g of protein as well... :)

You can also buy basic soy protein and sprinkle it lightly over your foods...
  • jroser37
    jroser37 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've heard about protein powders but I am allergic to soy. Are there any out there that do not contain soy and that taste good.? Thanks
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, peanut butter and protein shakes/powder/drinks. I freeze bananas, then throw in blender with a plain Greek yogurt, half a cup of fat free milk and my chocolate whey protein powder. Chock/Banana milkshake :) Sometimes I add a Tbsp of peanut butter as well. Or, skip the Greek yogurt and just do frozen banana, protein powder and 1 cup of milk!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I've heard about protein powders but I am allergic to soy. Are there any out there that do not contain soy and that taste good.? Thanks

Look into whey protein - I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey - but there are a bunch out there.
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't like red meat much either but I load up on protein with peanut butter (I used to hate it), baked or boiled chicken, egg whites, protein shakes and a lot of tuna.
  • jroser37
    jroser37 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i'm kind of the same way, so ditto to everyone elses suggestions. also on the processed stuff, try eating more whole grains that are high in fiber, they tend to make you feel fuller longer.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    My protien sources:

eggs
    beans
    peanut butter
    almond butter
    fish (tuna, salmon, tilapia, cod)
    quinoa
    chicken
    turkey
    Greek Yogurt
    cottage cheese
    low-fat or fat-free cheese
    Protien fortified Almond milk
    Protien powder (I use a vegan option that is made from pea protien...it is a vanilla taste so I can mix in anything)

Rarely do I eat beef and pork, but I really do enjoy them. You just have to cook it right (and in my case plan for the digestive issues that follow)
  • stolendestiny
    Options
    As a regular inclusion on the diet, what can you easily make with cottage cheese? I am looking for vegetarian options.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the protein and I find that I have to keep adding whey to everything if I want to reach my protein goals. I don't eat beef or pork, allergic to shellfish and I have some minor nut allergies. I eat poultry but I guess my portions aren't large enough to give me enough protein. I do eat eggs, but after a while its like how many eggs can you eat. I do like greek yogurt as well, but I kind of want to ditch the whey for real food. I am considering eating beef again.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Beans, beans
    They're good for your heart
    Beans, beans
    They make you, um, yeah.

Maybe that's why so few people are recommending beans, but I love me a bean soup. :)
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Oikos Greek yogurt in Key Lime is to die for, but it's almost always sold out wherever I go

Cottage cheese

Syntrax nectar is a whey based fruity protein mix, not a dairy one..it's truly delish

This site has the yummiest protein shake recipes ever:

http://dashingdish.com/recipe/dashing-dish-official-protein-shake/