FIRST DAY --- I would love tips for getting started!!

Options
Hello! I just joined this site and am SUPER excited to get started! I just had my third baby 8 weeks ago and am feeling very sluggish and fatter than ever. Before I got pregnant with my first child, I weighed 125. I am now 185, depressed and embarrassed to leave the house.

I have tried and failed at losing weight many times. This time I WILL succeed. No ifs ands or buts about it.

**I WOULD LOVE TIPS AND ADVICE FROM ANYONE! WHERE DO I START? WHAT TO EAT?**

Replies

• Klegl
    Klegl Posts: 48
    Options
    Drink your weight in water. I'm about 135 give or take so I should be drinking 135 ounces a day. Also, try adding lemon! It makes drinking the water more enjoyable
  • mipanda
    mipanda Posts: 43
    Options
    My tip would be to post here a lot! It's much more motivating and helpful than just going at it alone.
  • Milette812
    Milette812 Posts: 32
    Options
    1. Sparkling water is awesome. Flavored sparkling water has vitamins. Drink this when you want soda, eventually it will be your healthy go to. I like the brands Talking Rain and Cascade Ice, but I am in a small area so you might have access to better!
    2. WEIGH AND EVERYTHING!!!! VEGGIES, MEAT, EVERYTHING!!!!!!!
    3. Don't just calories, make them count. when cutting and eating less, it is important to find a way to eat enough that you don't feel hungry without going over your intake. Find out if you can eat the calories or not. I personally can't, some people can, it is trial and error.
    4. You are going to be hungry, get used to it, you will adjust and it will eventually go away when you get used to eating a lower amount of calories
    5. Talk to a Nutritionist. Even only one visit can give you a wealth of information.
    6. Do online research on healthy and productive ways to lose weights. If it involves pills, powders, or some "magic" thing then its bull.
    7. Make exercise and your health your number one priority! Seriously though, a lot of moms I know say "I don't have time to eat right, I don't have time to work out, My husband/kids are picky eaters and will only eat KFC, pizza, and Taco Bell". I also have friends that have kids, work more hours and have more responsibility and have time to work out, eat right, and feeds their families healthy nutritious meals. What does this tell you?
    8. You don't have to eat the same meals as everyone else and you don't have to be the only one that cooks.
    9. Explore your options! research recipes that use unique ingredients to make low cal healthy versions of comfort foods! Like cauliflower for pizza crust! Lavash Bread as a bun for fat free or veggie hot dogs!
    10. What works for one person doesn't always work for another. Find what works!
    11. Log EVERYTHING! If it goes in the mouth, it goes in the log!
    12. Beware those that say "Well what YOU should do is.." especially those not going through what your going through.
    13. Exercise. You can also exercise with your kids! They are little cardio machines! Play hide and seek or tag! Plus you get the added benefit of feeling young, laughing, and bonding with your kids!
    14. Days you don't want to stick to it are the most important. Prove to yourself you can push through the hump and feel your confidence from it improve!
    15. You are not a dog, do NOT reward yourself with food. Reward yourself with a new book, day at the spa, a night dancing, anything you like, but not food. Ever.
    16. Don't drink. Alcohol inhibits weight loss. Stay away from it until your get to where you want to be and then find out what you can have without packing the pounds right back on yourself.
    17. Make friends! We are all here to support you!
    18. My final one, do NOT look at my food diary as a model for you. I have had medical problems, I no longer have a gall bladder and did not adjust well to that removal after that surgery in 2008 and it severely changed my ability to digest. I can't even use olive oil because of what it does to me. I've talked to docs and I've done a ton of research so I am only eating no more than 1000 calories a day. This is temporary and short term. I will adjust once I get to a point of weight loss needed and eventually find out what my daily calorie count and combination of foods I can have that I will be able to digest fully without causing the painful problems I've had for a long time. Normal people should not go under 1200 calories a day without guidance of a doctor. I am not normal. Moral of this, their could be other people like me so don't think if your eating say 1500, your eating too much. Feel free to point out if someone is eating too much fat or sodium, but don't think you need to do what they are doing. Weight loss is a science and everyone's physiology is different. Do what works for you!

I would say good luck, but that has nothing to do with the ability to lose weight. I have lost over 13 pounds so far thanks to hard work, dedication, and commitment. As long as you put the work in, I promise you it will work. Also, you won't change overnight (god I wish), just keep at it and take it a day at a time!
  • WildAngelJoy
    WildAngelJoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I've been here a few months and really enjoy it. My advice is to be sure to log in everyday your food and exercise...be honest!! You will start to see areas where you need to make changes in diet to meet your daily calorie amounts. Also drink at least 8 glasss of water daily. Exercise is important..find exercises you enjoy, start slowly and build up time/intensity. Although we all want to lose weight the most important thing is changing lifestyle( in our eating and exercising) so that we can keep fit for life...if we do these changes , the weight will also come off. Lastly...make friends on here, there are so many wonderful, motivational folks on here and sharing really helps. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like :) BTW...many friends share their daily foods and you can get ideas from the way others are eating!!