sweet cravings

Options
I am the first to admit that my diet has a lot of room for improvement and I have done a lot of changing and cutting back on foods. When I have a healthy salad or similar meal I find myself craving something sweet afterwards (like lollies, soft drink or chocolate). Does anyone have any suggestions on how i can curb these cravings.

Replies

• asimmons26
    asimmons26 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I also have sweets cravings so I stock up on Quaker mini rice cakes (they aren't like the big tasteless ones) Carmel, fiber one brownies, special k straberry cheesecake bars, and one of my favorites... yogurt yoplat whips (straberry mist is the best). Put that in the freezer and its so much better and takes longer to eat. I sometimes do those 100 calorie snacks but they are soooo small it just makes me want like three of them so that so bueno, lol.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    try greek yogurt with some fruit, or oatmeal with honey, or pb and a jelly?
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Throw a cluster of grapes in the freezer for at least 20 minutes. I just tried this for the first time, not too long ago, and wish I'd learned about it years ago. SO. GOOD. ;)
  • aprilgrl27
    aprilgrl27 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    fiber one 90 calorie chocolate brownies have been a lifesaver for me!
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Sweet cravings sometime indicate you're not drinking enough.
    There are healthy sweet things -- like fruit, or low calorie sweet things -- like licorice tea.
    Or just go ahead and have something small like an after dinner mint or a small chocolate.
    Each of those things have worked for me at different times. And my mouth knows that after the sweet at the end of the meal, I'm done. Another way some people handle this is to brush their teeth or floss... all done eating and minty fresh.

P.S. if you decide to have a small sweet to end the meal, check out the list that JeffDoc started, others added to and I saved in a blog: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/snacks-of-100-calories-or-less-267198
  • jryan83
    jryan83 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love my desserts and I'm NOT giving them up. I AM finding improved ways of making them so I can fit them into my eating plan.

For instance this week I made a Betty Crocker Triple Chocolate cake. I used egg substitute for the eggs and applesauce for the oil. Ended up making the cake 198 calories and 2g of fat per serving (1/9 of a 9"x9" baking square).

Hope MFP lets us share recipes soon.
  • joshis_bunny
    Options
    thank you, there are a few good suggestions there that might be worth trying