for those of you knowlegable about tattoos

Options
Vodkha
Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
how long do you think this tattoo would take and average cost? (I know this will vary)

Full-Sleeve-Women-Tattoo-Design-for-2011-520x781.jpg

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    ouch. And thousands. Beautiful, though.
  • Cyanid3
    Cyanid3 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Many hours and it depends on whom your tattooist is and if they charge per hr or size and also how popular they are. it is gorgeous and will also cost a pretty penny.
  • _HeyMommy_
    _HeyMommy_ Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Agreed ^… my guy is $100 an hour.. but he is rated one of the top 20 in the country tho.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Depends on the tattooist, plus this will be done over a few months for sure, could be around 8 to 10 hours total, probably around a thousand. You could just go see your tattooist and ask, they usually can tell you when looking at the image.

ETA: my estimate is based on bf's and my tattoo artist. Bf just finished his Punisher tattoo which is close to that size.
  • Lushaholic
    Lushaholic Posts: 62
    Options
    Thousands, some places will give loose estimates.
  • comogirl
    comogirl Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I would say at least 2,000- 3,000$. Probably around 15-20 hours split into many sessions, in my opinion/ experience. However I'm sure price is dependent on location and artist. The same goes for the amount of time, very dependent on the artist. It is beautiful. Best of luck to you!
  • CarrieMyPhilos
    CarrieMyPhilos Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you want that full size and the coloring, it's going to be expensive. I'd be surprised if they let you do it all at once - it'll probably be a few different sessions to do all the shading and coloring and such. Cost will depend on where you go - in the multiple thousands sounds like a lot to me, I would guess $800-$1200, but I could be wrong. You probably don't want to go with the cheapest option, though - make sure you get a place that has really good reviews, where they'll use sterile needles and such, so they'll probably be more expensive. As for pain, if you get it on your arm, it'll hurt a bit (shading hurts more than simple lines), but not as badly as if you got it like up your side or something like that.
  • BrownEyedSister
    BrownEyedSister Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm estimating around 20 hours and several sittings. Most folks sit for up to 4 hours and then take a break until that part of the tat heals up. And it's pretty common to be about $100 per hour. The colors are beautiful and it will be money well spent!
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    This is so true, don't go with the cheapest, make sure they have good reviews or check with your friends. I found mine through bf and he only swears by him, he's very good and the place is clean and has good reviews.
  • PrettyMindy14
    PrettyMindy14 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I know so far on my arm I've been working on it for about 3 years and am at around $2,500 in and still have around another $600 to $700 or so to finish it off. My guy charges $160 and hour, but I get my work done for $100 and hour. So when I'm done I should have around 35 hours into my arm
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    After reading the reality I bet u wont b getting it lol
  • NYChick84
    NYChick84 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    your best bet would be....ask a tattoo artist himself. lol.....everyone varies in speed and cost.....
  • Vodkha
    Options
    Ah man I really wasn't expecting it to be that much, I'm not sure why! I wondering if you could do it on a smaller scale or if that would just look silly?
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Around where I'm from you could get it done a lot cheaper. I paid $60 for a 6" scene on my shoulder blade. It would probably be half what the others are guestimating and we have some high quality tattooists around here...just not a lot of people for them. It is an old person's community.
  • RainyDayKelli
    RainyDayKelli Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You can on $100 an hour. if they're charging less, well, you get what you pay for. Although, I sort of take issue with copying someone else's tattoo. Most reputable tattoo artists won't do it, either.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I paid $60 for a 6" scene on my shoulder blade.
    I need to go crash at your house for a week! I paid $200 for the on on my leg, but it's probably 8" by 6", the first three verses to Amazing Grace.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    easily over 1000, probably 2000 for a highly experienced/well known artist.
  • Vodkha
    Options
    You can on $100 an hour. if they're charging less, well, you get what you pay for. Although, I sort of take issue with copying someone else's tattoo. Most reputable tattoo artists won't do it, either.

why is that? Im not allowed to like what I like and get it?
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options

This. I agree - most artists that are great and well known, won't copy another artists work. It's an original and took some time to create. Out of respect for the tattooist and who did the drawing, prob won't do it!
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options

why is that? Im not allowed to like what I like and get it?

if someone got plastic surgery to look exactly like you, wouldn't you be a little weirded out?