Forever Fat? You Are What You Think

Options
Searching through the racks at Ross I youst to daydream about someday being able to slip on a nice pair of size 12 jeans. I honestly beleived that if I ever got there I would be 100% content, it was the magic size that would make life okay and dreams come true (dillusional? Maybe, but real to me). However, the picture in my head of what me as a size 12 would look like wasnt quite reality. Once I got to a size 12 I was over the moon for a few weeks, feeling like "wow" I am not "fat"anymore. That feeling quickly faded when I realized that when looking in the mirror I was still "fat". So... I kept going and made my way down to a size 10 or so, depending on the jeans.Even a 9 if im really lucky. However, like before, the person I see in the mirror isnt much different than my 50+ pound heavier self. The rolls might be smaller and the dimples might not be as deep but they are still very much alive and well, clinging for dear life to my chubby mom thighs.

This process has had what I would like to call the whiplash effect and anyone who has never been "big" could never truly understand, at least not from the same perspective anyway. You see, one day I feel like a million dollars, I see so much positive change and feel encouraged, even smokin hot now and then (Can't touch this! Dun nun nun,Hammer Time). This is all well and good but it is generally short lived and followed by a day or two, or four where I look in the mirror and see nothing but a gigantic blob of stinky cottage cheese failure (If you catch my drift). I may not be "as fat" but I am still far from where I want to be. I am the thinnest I have ever been since 8th grade, whatever age that was. I can't say I am in the best shape because I swam competatively, was a lifeguard and did play some sports. I have always been blessed in the muscle department which means bulking up isnt a problem. That being said I have never even been a thin heavy. I literally look better now than in high school; I can honestly say that the only real life flat stomach I have ever experienced was probably as a newborn and even then it was a jolly round melon ( fortunately for me baby fat is cute fat, wait I was never a chubby baby, what happened?!?!)

ANYWAYS

I should be ecstatic and on any given day I just might be, but those down days, boy are they down.This isnt just a matter of inches or miles its a mental transformation. I know this, I understand this, but that doesnt mean I have it licked just yet. I imagine that anyone in my shoes understands my emotional roller coaster, people who have never been thin or fully toned have no idea what to expect. We have been judged by our weight our entire lives, we have never experienced being the "hot girl" or guy.I suppose that for a mom of four most people would see me as normal and maybe they dont even see me for my weight anymore, but years of conditioning equates that automatic assumption. All that being said, I am not on this journey for anyone but myself, sure it is nice to think that someday I might be admired for my looks alone but my motivation is so much deeper than that. I want to know what it feels like to look in the mirror and be proud of what I see, maybe, just maybe because I have never had that chance I will appreciate it so much more once im there (If I allow it to happen, mentally that is!).

I ponder all of these success stories and catch myself saying "you could never do that, you could never be one of them", ive even wondered if they are really, real. However, I have lost a ton and I have changed pretty drastically, I am a walking success story, The battle is with the mind not the mirror. I am still not in the healthy BMI range and my body fat percentage isnt where it should be so it isnt illogical that I need to continue my journey, but it is illogical not to acknowledge my success. Thus, the war rages on with 29 years of thoughts and experience that dont match my identity anymore. I aspire to be encouraged by others who have or are sitting where I am sitting and I hope to be an encouragment by the time it is all said and done. People tell me allof the time, dont think that way, you look great, dont be so negative and that is the first sign that they have never lived my life. Its not just a simple state of being, it dictates a persons life whether they want it to or not. The key is to control in what way.You are what you think, and thats a fact. I choose to change the way I think....one second, one minute, one hour, and one day at a time. WHO'S WITH ME? Let's DO THIS!

P.S.I never feel like it is okay to write, like it makes me self-absorbed or inflated, I appreciate that I finally have a place where I feel free to do what I love most without fear of being judged or it being misinterpreted, its a real blessing!

XOXO Mom on A Mission

Replies

• AmberCHM
    AmberCHM Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Get out of my head!! Seriously, I could have written that myself. I'm down 111 lbs from my highest weight...from a size 24 to a size 12 and I still see the same fatty staring back at me in the mirror. I'm about 30 lbs from my UGW and I keep wondering if that same fat girl will still be here then too. I want to love myself, but I just don't know how. I'm surrounded by sweet, loving, supportive people....I'M the only person belittling my success. Maybe one day I'll see myself as others say they do....maybe....
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Get out of my head!! Seriously, I could have written that myself. I'm down 111 lbs from my highest weight...from a size 24 to a size 12 and I still see the same fatty staring back at me in the mirror. I'm about 30 lbs from my UGW and I keep wondering if that same fat girl will still be here then too. I want to love myself, but I just don't know how. I'm surrounded by sweet, loving, supportive people....I'M the only person belittling my success. Maybe one day I'll see myself as others say they do....maybe....
    Wow how awesome!!! I am struggling to lose my last 30 - 35lbs and have only lost half of what you have, you ROCK! I am so glad I am not alone. It is a very confusing place to be. Thanks for sharing!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :heart: Hang in there, Hon!! The "Good Days" will get better and the "Bad Days" will get further apart as time goes by. Pictures are a VALUABLE Tool, and just looking at yourself in the mirror often does help you get used to the new body.
  • ikeandisabellesmom
    ikeandisabellesmom Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have battled my weight as long as I can remember, and I will be 40 this year. I recently read a book called The Anderson Method (got in on my Kindle for less than $10) and it is an excellent motivator and teaches how to 'brainwash' yourself. All these years I have been telling myself, I cant lose weight, I'll never look that way, etc. and so I believe it! Now it is time to tell myself that i CAN do it, I WILL undereat, and so I will believe it!

It helps to know that you are not alone...so many people have battled their own minds for too long. It is time for us to believe in what we want for ourselves - God did not create us to be fat, it is not natural. We have been overeating for so long it has become our normal - but I am creating a new normal! I have lost 25 pounds since April 7 and I am not anywhere close to stopping!

Maybe this book will help some others too, like it is helping me!
  • AmberCHM
    AmberCHM Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Wow how awesome!!! I am struggling to lose my last 30 - 35lbs and have only lost half of what you have, you ROCK! I am so glad I am not alone. It is a very confusing place to be. Thanks for sharing!

You are not alone at all. I've been having such a hard time explaining how I feel to friends and family so, as much as I hate to see someone else struggle like this, it's nice to know you're not alone. You're right, it's a very confusing place to be. I KNOW I've lost weight by the scale and losing sizes, but I don't see it when I look at myself in the mirror. Yeah, I can tell in my side by side before and after, but that same fat girl is in my mirror. Hope we can both get our last 30-35 lbs off and see what everyone else sees :) Congrats on your weight loss by the way!!
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    Options
    I have battled my weight as long as I can remember, and I will be 40 this year. I recently read a book called The Anderson Method (got in on my Kindle for less than $10) and it is an excellent motivator and teaches how to 'brainwash' yourself. All these years I have been telling myself, I cant lose weight, I'll never look that way, etc. and so I believe it! Now it is time to tell myself that i CAN do it, I WILL undereat, and so I will believe it!

It helps to know that you are not alone...so many people have battled their own minds for too long. It is time for us to believe in what we want for ourselves - God did not create us to be fat, it is not natural. We have been overeating for so long it has become our normal - but I am creating a new normal! I have lost 25 pounds since April 7 and I am not anywhere close to stopping!

Thanks for the book suggestion, I am having the issue of not eating enough which is stalling my weightloss. One of my biggest problems is that I never youst to eat but when I did it was too much or not the right kind of food. I love good and healthy food and cooking is my passion, now I am just struggling to eat enough of my exercise calories back. Its amazing how our battles change through the process isnt it. We are all so different,yet the same. <3
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Been there felt that. I once (as a teen) was 115lbs and when I looked in the mirror all I saw fat. When I was 218lbs all I saw was fat. The only time I remember not feeling fat was when I worked for Lane Bryant. I remember looking in the mirror there everyday and thinking "I look hot" and I am thinner now than I was then but I still felt prettier then. I wish I had time for a part time job cause I would go back to that in a heart beat. Its not the scale in the bathroom that defines me it is the way I compare myself to others. There will always be someone prettier, someone smarter, someone more witty, but I know that the secret to being happy is being satisfied with the things I do have and learning to be the best me I can. Now if only doing that was as easy as saying it.
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    Options
    Been there felt that. I once (as a teen) was 115lbs and when I looked in the mirror all I saw fat. When I was 218lbs all I saw was fat. The only time I remember not feeling fat was when I worked for Lane Bryant. I remember looking in the mirror there everyday and thinking "I look hot" and I am thinner now than I was then but I still felt prettier then. I wish I had time for a part time job cause I would go back to that in a heart beat. Its not the scale in the bathroom that defines me it is the way I compare myself to others. There will always be someone prettier, someone smarter, someone more witty, but I know that the secret to being happy is being satisfied with the things I do have and learning to be the best me I can. Now if only doing that was as easy as saying it.

Comparisons on both sides are so destructive because if you are comparing yourself negatively you are devaluaing the qualities you have and building the other person up unrealistically. If you are comparing yourself to someone to make yourself feel better you are de-valuing them and puffing yourself up.Either scenario just leads to lower self esteem. We all do it or have done it, its hard. The more I look on here at peoples photos the more I realize just how completely different we all are. Everyone carries their weight differently, 200lbs looks completely different on different people. The only person we can honestly compare ourselves to is ourself! Thank you for sharing, I will pray that you can being to appreciate yourself for who you are and do not need to compare to feel pride!
    xoxo
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I ponder all of these success stories and catch myself saying "you could never do that, you could never be one of them", ive even wondered if they are really, real. However, I have lost a ton and I have changed pretty drastically, I am a walking success story, The battle is with the mind not the mirror. I am still not in the healthy BMI range and my body fat percentage isnt where it should be so it isnt illogical that I need to continue my journey, but it is illogical not to acknowledge my success. Thus, the war rages on with 29 years of thoughts and experience that dont match my identity anymore. I aspire to be encouraged by others who have or are sitting where I am sitting and I hope to be an encouragment by the time it is all said and done. People tell me allof the time, dont think that way, you look great, dont be so negative and that is the first sign that they have never lived my life. Its not just a simple state of being, it dictates a persons life whether they want it to or not. The key is to control in what way.You are what you think, and thats a fact. I choose to change the way I think....one second, one minute, one hour, and one day at a time. WHO'S WITH ME? Let's DO THIS!

P.S.I never feel like it is okay to write, like it makes me self-absorbed or inflated, I appreciate that I finally have a place where I feel free to do what I love most without fear of being judged or it being misinterpreted, its a real blessing!

XOXO Mom on A Mission

You're right. I've never been terribly "big", I have really high body fat though, and was overweight before. But I have that same stupid mindset, and I'm with you. I want to change my way of thinking. By the way, it is NOT self-absorbed or inflated to write.

14877786.png
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    Options

Thank you so much! I REALLY need to read a book like that.

14877786.png
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    Options
    Been there felt that. I once (as a teen) was 115lbs and when I looked in the mirror all I saw fat. When I was 218lbs all I saw was fat.

I felt the same way when I was 115 as a preteen/teen. It was mostly fear of getting bigger, and part because 90210 was around and they called the then 115 lb Jennie Garth "the chubby one". Naturally, the more weight I gained the worse I got.

14877786.png
  • MissNordicLight
    MissNordicLight Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump ... to re-read your post and follow this thread.
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Im in the same mental place here too. I was 242 going in to deliver my second son and am stuck at 173 right now (mostly due to mental blockages). I was hot and skinny in highschool, in college I did a stint as a dancer and had a body I was proud of. Then I got pregnant at 18, and after gaining almost 70lbs and then delivering my 10lb 11.2 oz baby boy I HATED my body. I was fat for the first time in my life, had stretch marks, loose skin and was still carrying around almost all my baby weight. We had our second son this past Sept, and I did Weight Watchers the second half of the pregnancy and managed to gain only 40 that time around. I joined MFP shortly after delivery and have lost 69 since going in to deliver. However most days I look in the mirror and still just see fat. A body I dont want to show off. I fit back in the pants I bought weeks before conceiving our first child, though number wise I am 13lbs from prechildren weight. I just cant shake the mental state and am depressed that my body doesnt look how I want it too. :( Glad to know its not just me
  • gaiareeves
    gaiareeves Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    That's why I always say that you have to learn to love yourself when you're bigger, in order to fully appreciate yourself when you're smaller.

If you're losing weight because you hate your body, you're less likely to be 100% happy with the end result than the person who's losing weight because they want to take good care of themselves and their body.

I've experienced it before. My strive for weight loss was once fuelled by self-hate. Through extremely unhealthy methods I dropped from 180lbs and a UK size 18 (US 14) to under 105lbs and a UK size 2/4 (US 0/2) or clothes meant for 11 - 12 year olds.

At my thinnest, I felt fatter and more disgusted by my body than I ever did at my heaviest. My weight had become an obsession and nothing was ever good enough.

Now at 128lbs, I have far more confidence than I ever did at my lowest weight, because I no longer hate my body or myself, at any size.