Anyone know any exercises for good posture?

Options
Specifically for pulling my shoulders back. I slump a bit because of how much I use my laptop, and I really want to be able to stand up straight all the time without thinking about it. So are there any exercises to improve my posture?

Replies

• batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i do not know, but i am posting so that i may lurk in this thread, as i have wondered the same
  • OzoneMama
    OzoneMama Posts: 3
    Options
    Hula hooping improves your posture. I was amazed at how much it improved mine, and my instructor told me that was one of the positive effects.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    look up the alexander technique
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I mean, I dance (ballet, belly dance, pole and jazz), I work out on the treadmill and do other activities that require me to stand up straight... but I want to pull my shoulders back. I know there are braces for that, but I'd rather have a different and more perminant solution
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    My wife used to fight that problem and she has been working on a lot of back exercises that has helped her to the point that people who have known her for years have commented on it. Here are some. (Mostly gym exercises)

lower back extension
    Seated Row
    Lat pull down
    Rear deltoid

Take a dumb bell... kneel with left knee on an exercise bench and left hand on the bench. With the right hand pull your dumb bell up level with your waist. Repeat with the other side of the body.

These have really helped her. There are also some body wraps that can provide support that are sold in Walmart and similar places but of course, you want your muscles to do the work... But until that happens sometimes that can help your posture.
  • Klegl
    Klegl Posts: 48
    Options
    Try taking a pilates class....That is all about form and it helped with my posture as well as some of my friends bad postures
  • Cndressing
    Cndressing Posts: 36
    Options
    I used to be the same, i just started to do every exercise like walking and jogging cleaning etc with my back straight and shoulders straight it hurt but now i do it naturally, the shoulders too. i also carried weights with this. I use to go hicking with a backpack full of rocks i would pick up on the hike. I can now carry 30 lbs with a weight vest on. I also tried building muscle on my arms. If u think about it ur back abdominals shoulders and arms connect some how. On top of that i tried standing up more. And the more effort and energy i put into it the more it helped i have more stamina now too. Basically just endure it and stand straight with ur shoulders as well as much as u can think of it as weight lifting and feed ur body right.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    bump
  • camillerivera
    Options
    PILATES! check out youtube's blogilates!!!! her stretches are amazing as well and helps your posture. i used to slouch as well :\
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I mean, I dance (ballet, belly dance, pole and jazz), I work out on the treadmill and do other activities that require me to stand up straight... but I want to pull my shoulders back. I know there are braces for that, but I'd rather have a different and more perminant solution

If you're a dancer, definitely the alexander technique. (In fact, as a dancer, I'm surprised you haven't tried it before - it's pretty standard for all the performing arts.)
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    For shoulders specifically, do facepulls
    For improving posture in general, do front squats with an Olympic style grip
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    "Quick results pilates workouts" DVD quick workouts for *fat burning * tone & conditioning * POSTURE & *pure stretch. brought specially for the posture - haven't tried it yet though but i will. brought from amazon ;)
  • chrisrollins1
    Options
    There are plenty of exercises to strengthen your core and assist you in maintaining good posture, but if I had to pick the best, my vote is on the deadlift. When done with PROPER FORM, the deadlift uses more muscles than any other exercise, and will strengthen your lower back to no end...a key component in posture. Forearms, shoulders, upper/lower back, legs and even your abs will benefit from this simple exercise.

Lastly, yes, this and other exercises will help, but ultimately it is up to you to recognize what proper posture is and train your body to naturally stand that way. In my opinion, the most key component to this is confidence. If you look good and you know it, you will start to naturally make it a point to make yourself look even better by walking, standing and sitting with proper posture.

Read this article for some guidelines on improving posture. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ss26.htm