How to Increase Calorie Intake?

Options
I just started logging my calories this week. I realized that I have been unknowingly eating about 900 calories daily for about 2 weeks. I think my body is in "starvation mode" and I want to start eating more without gaining a TON of weight. I weigh about 140 pounds and am 5'4. My goal is to lose about 10 pounds. According to my fitness evaluation I should be eating 1200 calories to get to my calorie goal. I want to up my calorie intake to 1200, but I am afraid I will start gaining weight again! Any suggestions?

Replies

• ijiiii
    ijiiii Posts: 61
    Options
    Keep eating at 1200 calories, preferably healthy calories. If you do gain weight, exercise more cardio AND strength training. Keep doing this until you at least maintain weight so you can get out of starvation mode. If anything, I think you should eat more than 1200 calories and hit the gym a lot. Lot of successful weight loss logs reinforce this.
  • Urzu07
    Urzu07 Posts: 39
    Options
    Gaining weight may be better than undereating, in my opinion. At the very least, your body should be getting the nutrients it needs to be able to function well enough, so that you are able to lose weight, and not put your body into survival mode. Also, what did you use for your fitness evaluation, that determined you need to eat around 1,200 calories to lose weight, may I ask?
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of veggies, fruits, and lean meats. Healthy dairies, like yogurt and cottage cheese. Nuts for good fats. Eat every few hours if possible.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    2 weeks isn't long enough for that to happen.

Start eating 1200 calories. If by some stroke of bad luck you actually did induce "starvation mode", you'll HAVE to gain weight before you can start losing.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    By "my fitness evaluation" do you mean "what MFP said when you put in your numbers"?

If so, you should re-do it and choose HALF a pound a week, not 1 or 2.
    When you are at the last few pounds (ie. already in the healthy weight zone) you have to eat practically at maintenance to get it off, eating more is your friend.
    Change your goals (I am guessing about 1500ish) and aim to EAT that amount (not "try to stay under") and eat even more than that on days you do excess activity. (exercise above and beyond typical daily activity in your life).

The first couple of weeks you WILL gain a little. It is WATER WEIGHT, do not panic and go back to starving. Once your body becomes used to it, you will see it turn and start to come off correctly while eating normal amounts of food instead of less than what my 6th grader eats....
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Also, go to "Tools" and check your BMR.

You should not be eating less than this in a day. This is the number your body needs to SURVIVE even in a coma. The calories you need to make your heart beat, lungs expand, repair cells, etc....you don't want to eat less than that.

MFP then adds calories TO this number based on your activity level.
    Note: Most people INCORRECTLY choose sedentary here. Unless you pretty much go from bed to laying on the couch ALL day and do nothing you're not sedentary. The numbers given here are pretty low. Choose a level higher than you think you should choose and you'll have it right.
    After adding these calories, this is your TDEE.
    TDEE is also referred to as "maintenance" calories. AKA the amount you need to stay the SAME size.
    THEN MFP subtracts 500 if you choose 1 lb a week and 250 if you choose half (which you should).
    THIS is your goal to EAT. The deficit (250) is already there so you don't need to try to stay UNDER your goal, you need to REACH your goal.