Rash to the left of my armpit from heavy exercise?

Options
I do elliptical for an hour daily, and use the kind where there are movable handles you push back and forth. I have this sort of itchy rash not in my left arm pit, but sort of to the left of it right along where my arm, back, and chest meet to the left of my armpit, nearly under my arm. It is a hard spot to describe but I tried. The point I am trying to make is it is not on my back and not in my armpit, but sort of in between. I am thinking that this is caused by chafing, lots of sweat, friction, and perhaps a very moist environment for fungi to grow perhaps? I do not currently have insurance, so going to the doctor is not an option. I was just wondering if anyone else had this sort of problem.

By the way, it is itchy.

And just to recap since I undoubtedly failed in describing where it is, it is right in the area where the back arm and chest meet to the left of my pit, but not quite on my back yet.

PS When I lay down I tend to lean on my left elbow which would make this area kind of constricted and lacking airflow. I also thought that maybe I should change my exercise shirt more often so things don't get the chance to multiply?

Replies

• ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You may need to invest in something made of more breathable fabric, sounds like chafing or a heat rash type thing. Definately wash your shirt after each workout if you can. You could try an over the counter cream.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You may need to invest in something made of more breathable fabric, sounds like chafing or a heat rash type thing. Definately wash your shirt after each workout if you can. You could try an over the counter cream.

^ This! Probably a combo of heat rash and chafing-- which happens a lot in the summer. Definitely wear breathable quick-dry fabrics and you can treat your rash with simple neosporin.
  • looby_loo91
    Options
    Maybe a bit of impertigo (sp?) as well. Google it and see if it looks similar? Lots of people get it on their face but I've had it under my arm as well. If you can't get to the doctor ask the pharmacist for something for this and it should clear up quick. In the meantime keep it clean and dry whenever possible and of course do. not. scratch. Hope this helps and it clears up =)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I get heat rashes all the time, could it be that?
  • hipslikecinders
    hipslikecinders Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I got something similar after swimming (breast stroke) for a long period of time. I think its due to friction and rubbing, and its so sore! I echo the above - breathable fabric should help. Mine cleared up after I applied sudocrem.
  • SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It could be a heat rash or a slight allergy to your own sweat.When I started working out I broke out in a rash in my skinfolds, uck.
    Either way, just get some cream for nappy/diaper rash and put that on it, it will work like a treat. Also, try to shower right away after exercise (don't let the sweat dry on your skin) and change and wash your exercise clothes often. Some talcum powder on the afflicted area while you are exercising might help as well.
  • aoikirin
    aoikirin Posts: 143
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions all! I just thought of something. I get these gross sweat stains on my workout clothes - white patches of salt. I was thinking that perhaps some of those salt particles even if they are rather small could be rubbing around in the area making things worse.

Sorry for this post being gross.
  • bazaar1982
    bazaar1982 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Sounds like sweat rash - probably aggravated by the movement during exercise. As someone else mentioned try more breathable workout gear,
  • EricNYC646
    EricNYC646 Posts: 10
    Options
    I would give yourself a few days rest and then try exercising with breathable fabric and sometimes that does not help. I use Vaseline or a petroleum stick that is sold at sporting goods for runners to prevent rub burns.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I used to get something like this in my groin pits (where my legs meet my torso) and it was a sweat rash.

You probably need to apply some corn starch or a topical cream like clotrimazole (yes I know it's also used for thrush but it works)

And yes, find a top that's made of breathable fabric and a fresh top every time :happy:
  • aoikirin
    Options
    New development. There is a swelling now in the same area. It's palpable and is kind of sore. I think it is a swollen lymph node.
  • melissachipman123
    Options
    Use some athletes foot powder it's an anti fungal. Keep area dry. Foot powder will stop itch after healed use baby powder to keep moisture away.
  • aoikirin
    Options
    bump for the lump - is it normal?
  • amberwren
    amberwren Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Dermatology PA here! Post a pic :)
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    A couple of thoughts. If you use the same t-shirt more then once, if could be a form of ring worm. A friend of mine just went through that. Also, at Olympia Sports, they have an anti chaffing rub you can put on. Only cost $9.99 plus tax. It works GREAT!!!! Maybe, it could be the Lymph Node. If so, have you changed deoderant recently? There are some kinds that will clog the nodes and case a great deal of pain. That's all I have to offer. Hope it feels better soon.
  • emhill21
    emhill21 Posts: 130
    Options
    Dermatology PA here! Post a pic :)

The PA-student in me is curious for a pic too!
  • StacyPervis
    Options
    Cotton fabric causes mine to do the same thing. I changed to under armor wicking shirts and use the anti-chaffing paste. No more rash.