Is it possible to get a flat stomach after having 5 kids?

Options
Hiya my name is Clare and im 39 , i have 5 kids and im just wondering is it possible to get back a nice flat stomach im 241.8lbs down from 252.2(my weigh in is tomorrow) i wasnt as big as i am even after my last child(who is 5) i got big just from basically being idle for that last few years, im assuming il never get a flat stomach but maybe theres others out there that have and id like to hear about it :)

Replies

• SorchaRavenlock
    SorchaRavenlock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    That's a good question. I'm not really sure to be honest. I only had one baby, but I've been overweight/obese most my life so my stomach has been pretty stretched a well.
    I know you can get lose skin after losing a lot of weight, which can slowly get less since skin is quite elastic. If you keep it well moisturised with oil (I use baby oil) it should be easier for the skin to stretch back.
    But I'm not sure if we'll ever get a perfectly flat stomach again (without surgery).
  • lucywantstoloseit
    Options
    I'm 19 and I've got one baby. I ask this question all the time it drives me mad. my skin is very stretched and I have (excuse the ickiness of it) overhang which is partly from me c-section and partly from my weight gain during pregnancy. The only thing any of us can do is try. Eat well, exercise and see how we get on. I've realised that there is no use me worrying about it until i get to the weight I want to be. If I get to an ideal weight and I still can't get a flat tummy, then I'll be bothered about it. Whether we get flat tummies or not, trying as hard as possible to get one will DEFINITELY get us some way there x
  • DavidOfOz
    DavidOfOz Posts: 225
    Options
    Ive had four and Im still struggling.....
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Depending on how stretched your skin was (I have quite a few stretch marks) I think you can. If not completely flat, much flatter than you think. When I am diligent with my eating and working out, I don't have to hold my stomach in at all. I have never gotten down to a really low body fat % (which is how you are going to get a really flat stomach) so I still always have a layer of fat. But I was happy with the way I look. In order to see abs, women have to have quite a low body fat percentage (about 17% or lower, I believe). I never got mine below 24. But I was happy with I looked.

Consistency and patience will get you there. And a good dose of reality. My tummy is always the last to go, you will get there, just know in the beginning, that it takes time. You WILL get there, but you have to work for it.
  • Sneakypeek1972
    Options
    Yea, after my last i got the extra lower belly pouch(slight overhang), and thats what im worrying about losing i have my belly then i have that now to, but i agree lets see how it goes once im nearer my goal weight, thanks all, and ive seen ladys that have had more babys than me still remain slim its genetics i suppose. And @ dave hehe you didnt have to carry the babys :P
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Ive had four and Im still struggling.....

HAHAHA
  • AngieBil
    AngieBil Posts: 28
    Options
    I dont know if everybody can get a flat stomach again after kids, but I know that some people can! I have one friend on here who has 6 kids and she looks Ah-MAZING - flat stomach, amazing body. She works for it though. I think the key is to eat healthy and exercise regularly and see where that leads. Is it possible. Yes. Is it possible for everybody. Maybe not. And guaranteed that it will be harder for some than for others, that's just reality.

That didn't really answer your question huh?! lol
  • bcmallwalker
    Options
    I think it depends a little on your body type. I have a friend who has had 10 kids and her stomach is flat. She is tall and slender, but that is her body type. She is an active person, but she doesn't work out.
  • Sneakypeek1972
    Options
    I dont know if everybody can get a flat stomach again after kids, but I know that some people can! I have one friend on here who has 6 kids and she looks Ah-MAZING - flat stomach, amazing body. She works for it though. I think the key is to eat healthy and exercise regularly and see where that leads. Is it possible. Yes. Is it possible for everybody. Maybe not. And guaranteed that it will be harder for some than for others, that's just reality.

That didn't really answer your question huh?! lol

yes it did :P
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    <
    I gave birth to 6 kids

Doing strength training and getting your body fat lower will help. I have loose skin but there is nothing I can do about that
  • TrishaM4
    TrishaM4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids and I am not too far off from being there! I have been doing HIIT for 2 years and eating healthy
    You can do it!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have had two kids. Took me 9 months to lose 53 lbs and the next 7 months doing a bulk/recomp in weightlifting but I'm happy with my stomach now. I highly recommend you read a friend of mines success story :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/971636-my-story-of-sweet-revenge-pics 

She's amazing and one of my inspirations when I started last year. Just try not to focus on it. Just take weight loss slow and be patient. Fat loss is genetics meaning your body has a predisposed way it loses the weight.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    Yes ..my wife had two kids and hers is as flat as an ironing board.... Just give yourself time , plenty of hard work and a good diet
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes but with your age and 90 pounds to lose, you will probably have quite a bit of loose skin... so you will probably need surgery to have a really flat stomach. I'm 36, I lost 80 pounds, I've never even had kids, and I have a 'third boob' hanging there when I bend over...
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I haven't had kids, but I followed Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and there is a lady on there in her "backup exercise crew" that has had lots of kids and has an amazing tight body.
  • howletta
    howletta Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had four kids (one singleton and a set of triplets). It's been 16 months since last giving birth and it's pretty flat, but I do have a bit of twin skin that hangs if I bend forward.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Yes it is :) I'm 35 with 4 kids (youngest is 4 months) and my stomach is back to flat.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes it's possible, but you can't spot reduce, you need to lose body fat and strength train.