Peanuts

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
I never really ate peanuts before joining here, but started having peanut butter because so many people raved about it being good for you. Within a few weeks my asthma was notably worse and my skin started breaking out. I didn't make the connection at first, but after not having it for a bit and then having it again, it became obvious that was the cause. I went for an allergy test a few months ago, but no reaction to peanuts came up. So I tried having it again a few weeks later, sure enough, tight chest and I came up in lumps all over my face, like painful spots. They take about 8-12 hours to come up but it happens every time I eat peanuts now.

Has anyone else had anything like this? The doctor I saw said normally peanut allergies are instant reactions, whereas mine seem to take a few hours to come on, but there's a very clear link, it happens every time I eat them, and doesn't happen when I don't.

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Could it be something in the peanut butter? A lot of them have added oils and sugar, etc. Maybe try switching brands or eating plain peanuts to see if it still happens.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    so dont eat them. there is nothing magical about peanuts.

they are certainly ok but if you get that reaction, cutting them out of your diet will not rob you of anything you cant get elsewhere.
  • monkeybrain2012
    Options
    Similar thing happens to my son after eating dairy. A few hours later he gets really badly congested and gets a rash around his mouth. The allergy test came back negative, but his inflammation levels were through the roof. He had not eaten any dairy for 3 years and was just fine (never congested, no rashes, never sick). One time he ate some by mistake (it was hidden in the food) and got congested and got a rash within a few hours.

I would say - forget about he allergy test and listen to your body. It is telling you that peanuts do not agree with you, so don't eat them. There are other way better sources of protein.