liquid fast advice

Options
i have a prom coming up and, well, basically... i want to look smokin'. so i was thinking of going on a liquid fast/crash diet (whatever you want to call it) before hand to shed those few extra little pounds. before any of you non-believers start having a go at me saying "it's unhealthy" "it's unsustainable" "you'll gain it back after"...i already know this, it's the short lived night of prom that i am considering here.

please can you tell me:
1) what liquids to consume (i.e. just water or do juices and smooth soups count too?)
2) how long should i go on it for before prom (i don't mind if i start feeling light headed after a few days i'm on holiday anyway)
3) do they work and how much should i expect to lose? (from those who have experienced them)

thanks!

Replies

• monkeybrain2012
    Options
    Well - I did a liquid fast a couple of weeks ago, mainly just to support my 5 year old son. He needed to be on a liquid fast to prepare for a medical test and I just did it with him so I would know how he felt and could be more empathic. We did it for 2 days, we drank water, sparkling water, juices and vegetable broths. I lost about 2 pounds on the scale but I didn't see the loss in the way I looked or the way my clothes fit.
    I felt pretty good for the most part and only got slightly irritable by the end of the second day.
    I suppose if you did your fast but drank fresh vegetable and fruit juices (as in juicing your own vegetables and fruits) it would be better and would give your body an influx of vitamins, minerals and amino acids. It would brobably be really tough to do though....

So... although I didn't do it for weight loss reasons, I was curious to see the results - and in my case - nothing dramatic worth mentioning or even attempting again.
  • elizabethwolf
    Options
    interesting...i guess you only did it for 2 days though? and two pounds is a good loss for two days in my opinion! you're right in that it would be tough though :/
    on a scale of one to chunder how disgusting does a vegetable smoothie taste? :S
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    You're probably better off googling it because no one is going to feel comfortable giving crash diet advice to a high school student.

Honestly, unless your dress is super tight in the waist it really won't make a different anyway. 5lbs of water weight isn't noticeable.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    So, first of all, the little amount of weight you will lose will not make any considerable difference in your appearance. Just consider all the threads on here of people complaining that they've lost 20 lbs and no one has noticed.

I'm not sure how I want to phrase my second point, so I will just leave it at ::facepalm::

Okay, more seriously, my religion has 25-hour fasts. Believe me when I say that after a day or two of not eating, you will feel like total ****. It will be absolutely awful. You will be miserable. It isn't just feeling lightheaded. We're talking chills, headaches, no energy, the works. The effects will be somewhat mitigated by the fact that you are staying hydrated, but I doubt it will be that much better.

Also, juice plus empty stomach equals gastrointestinal distress, ranging from indigestion to ulcers to probably diarrhea.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Okay, more seriously, my religion has 25-hour fasts. Believe me when I say that after a day or two of not eating, you will feel like total ****. It will be absolutely awful. You will be miserable. It isn't just feeling lightheaded. We're talking chills, headaches, no energy, the works. The effects will be somewhat mitigated by the fact that you are staying hydrated, but I doubt it will be that much better.
    That isn't true, just maybe for you. I've done religious ones (before I figured I was going to hell anyway) years ago on just water and it was never this bad. I don't know if I lost weight since i didn't have a scale. The worst feeling I ever got was dizziness upon standing after maybe 4 days. I also got winded fast if I went for a walk. Your body gets used to no food pretty quickly and can live off your fat reserves for some time. Its not healthy for weight loss since you wanna eat like a pig after but its not harmful to your general health either. Humans are designed to be able to survive periods of time with no food.