I'm confused!

Options
I am going to make taco meat tonight for supper... I use 1 lb. ground beef from the meat locker and season it with McCormmick taco seasoning according to its package. How do I figure out what the calories are for that meal.

I plan on using some of the meat and putting it into a wheat pita shell for some tasty Mexican Pita Pockets... I just want to know how many calories I'll be eating!

Replies

• KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    Something new my mom is using 1/4 lb. ground beef and 3/4 lb. ground turkey in her recipes. Its healthier and as you brown the meat, the turkey takes on the flavor of the beef. She says it tastes great

just a thought...
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I am going to make taco meat tonight for supper... I use 1 lb. ground beef from the meat locker and season it with McCormmick taco seasoning according to its package. How do I figure out what the calories are for that meal.

I plan on using some of the meat and putting it into a wheat pita shell for some tasty Mexican Pita Pockets... I just want to know how many calories I'll be eating!

Google calories in 1 pound of what ever % lean beef you bought. Add in the calories in the seasoning and divide by how many portions you divide it into. Add back in the pita and you're good.
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    You're awesome! Thanks!

I have to use up this meat because, well it was free. My husband & I receive SO much of it from both of our parents... enough to fill up about 1/3 of our large deep freezer. Once I get through this meat, I'll think about trying ground turkey. Until then, bring on the free meat!
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    It should just be the calories for the meat you're using (for example, 90/10 ground beef or 85/15 ground beef). You'll have to measure or weigh the meat in some way. Usually you can find listings for measurements (like 1/2 cup of ground beef) or by weight (like 2 oz. ground beef). Check your taco seasoning, but it's probably not many calories. If it is, you can just add the taco seasoning, and then count it for whatever portion of the food you eat (for example, if you eat 1/4 of the meal, it would be the calories of 1/4 of the taco seasoning packet). Then you just add your pita into your food log and your meal is complete!
  • BiloxiBelle
    BiloxiBelle Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Sparkrecipes.com has a recipe calculator that may help. You plug in your ingredients and tell it how many servings & it gives you the nutrition info per serving. I cook alot & change recipe ingredients to suit my taste, so I'm on there every night. Hope it helps you too!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Right here in the good ol' MFP database:

Ground Beef -
    73% Meat, 27% Fat,
    Skillet Browned, Fat Drained and Rinsed
    Servings: 1 container (16 oz.s ea.)

Calories620Sodium0 mgTotal Fat36 gPotassium0 mg Saturated16 gTotal Carbs0 g Polyunsaturated0 g Dietary Fiber0 g Monounsaturated0 g Sugars0 g Trans0 gProtein0 gCholesterol184 mg Vitamin A0 %Calcium0 %Vitamin C0 %Iron0 %

So, 620 calories - 36 fat grams etc. etc. for the whole pound o'burger. So, if you make 8 tacos and eat one, just enter it as 1/8th (.125) of a container, and there ya' go.

It'll look like this:

Dinner
    Ground Beef - 73% Meat, 27% Fat, Skillet Browned, Fat Drained and Rinsed, 0.13 container (16 oz.s ea.) 78 0 5 0 23 0 remove
    Generic - Whole Wheat Pita Shells, 1 shell 160 3 0 16 0 3 remove
    Mccormick - Taco Seasoning, 1 taco's 10 0 0 2 0 0 remove
    Add Food Remember Meal 248 3 5 18 23 3

248 calories for your taco. Taco Bell regular crunchy tacos are 170, but I always need 3 of them.

I do tacos with Turkey now. The taco season is strong and you can't really taste the difference, just good stuff.
  • sandra400
    sandra400 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    have you tried just using the ground beef without the seasoning it is very good and after you use the plain beef for awhile you do not want the seasoning because it is to salty and seasoned.
    just a thought:happy:
  • ready4change
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your quick replies! I'm exicted about supper tonight! :happy:
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    i have a recipe on my home comp for home made taco seasoning. will post it when i get home from work! not all that nasty processed crap like the packages stuff!!

**ooooh nevermind I found it here at work.... very busy lol
    http://eggtotheapples.wordpress.com/2009/07/18/taco-seasoning/
  • ready4change
    Options
    Hm... maybe I'll try that new recipe out tonight! Thanks!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    you're very welcome let us know how it tastes! :)