I want to start lifting/ strength training. Help?

Options
I have 3 sets of free weights in my bedroom that have been collecting dust for years, and I have recently been inspired by stories on here to start resistance/weight training.

Does anybody have a plan or types of exercises I could follow (that would help with weight loss too) that I could follow with these free weights? I don't quite know what to do with them other than to lift them straight into the air and I'm sure I'm doing that wrong anyway! The weights are 1k, 3k and 5k. I should mention that I don't have a gym or cash to join one so I am limited on what types of exercises I would be able to perform what with no access to machines. I have a gym ball though, and these free weights so if anyone has any tips that would be great, or an exercise plan I could follow combined with cardio too, I would be so greatful! Thanks :)

Replies

• kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I like Krista Scott-Dixon's All dumbbells, All the Time! routine. There are also some bodyweight exercises in there too. I esp. love the links to instructions on how to do each one.

http://www.stumptuous.com/workout-6
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    The possibilities are endless, whats important is that you use those weights. Weight traing is important during fat loss because it helps maintain what muscle you already have. Building muscle during fat loss is difficult unless you have great genetics, but to maintain is the goal here and keep from losing muscle during our fat loss process. Also muscle burns fat , so the more you have the better the fight against fat. You can do goblet squats, deadlifts , put the weights over your head and squat, luges with a weight in each hand , you can lay on the ball and do chest presses, dumbell curls , all kinds of good stuff. look up compound exercises and also google exercise ball and dumbells. Good luck and keep burning
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Although I am not a fan of some of the guff written on the forums, there are many good routines on Bodybuilding.com. Don't leave the name put you off, they have all types of routines from beginner to advanced.

Russ