I'm Scared...

Options
13»

Replies

• LanderRose81
    LanderRose81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi Stephen and welcome!

I won't wish you skinny BUT I will DEFINITELY wish you fit and healthy!!! Good luck on your journey - and good for you for wanting to make a change!!!

You're AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
  • LanderRose81
    LanderRose81 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thirty three posts and not one lawyer joke. I'm very disappointed in this thread. :)

Well where is the lawyer joke? :laugh:
  • leetime4me
    leetime4me Posts: 20
    Options
    I like your profile comments lol

You will do this..one day at a time.
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! It sounds like you have a plan and that's a very important first step. Logging what I eat and how much I exercise makes me feel like this process is a less abstract "I really want to lose weight and I'm trying to be healthy" to a way to account for measurable results.

I'd love to hear how you like your fitbit. I use an HRM when I exercise so that I can actually track real calories burned (be aware that MFP overestimates the calories you burn pretty consistently, so be careful about trusting their numbers. I find that it's usually off by 80-100 calories for me.)

I'm not sure about fitbit because I know it only tracks motion, not heart rate, not sure if it's necessary, buy I'm interested. Feel free to add me; I'm here most days.
  • desert_rhino
    desert_rhino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    See? This place is so awesome, they're even supportive of LAWYERS who want to extend their healthy lifespan. ;) Same boat, feel free to add.
  • jerilph
    jerilph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Good luck Stephen, I just ordered a fitbit yesterday and can't wait to get it. I am also here not so much to lose weight but to prevent myself from my family history of diabetesm high blood pressure and heart disease. Not saying I don't have weight to lose but I am more concerned with getting fit and the pounds will take care of themselves. I found this site about 1 week ago, i was using daily burn tracker on my phone but I like MFP better. I am only 5ft 1 and my heaviesst weight was 142 a feew years ago. That was more than I weighed with any on my 3 presgnancies. I did weight watchers and got down to 125 byt have put back on 10 lbs. I have been tring for about 8 weeks to loose and have not had much luck. I just was not motivated. Then I went to my doctor and my B/P was a little high, so was my fasting blood sugar and I know my cholesterol was a little high. Now I'm motivated. I joined a gym and am getting serious with the getting healthy. I am at 133.8 this morning and plan on getting up at 5 on Monday and hitting the gym. I feel to tired if I go after work. Good luck to you. Add me as a friend if you like and we can see how the fitbit is working for us, once I get mine.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    My husband & I gained a lot of weight over 25 years ..... he's retired now, and a diabetic with heart issues ....... I was borderline diabetic but am now off those meds ....... by changing the foods purchased, the way we cook & how we order in a restaurant, we've lost a fair amount of weight, which is super !

But as far as exercise goes ....... there we totally differ. I go to the gym 5-6 days a week for cardio, weights & yoga ...... and he does NOTHING ..... he's very strong, can lift like Superman, but won't even walk around the block ! And he's a smart guy ..... he knows cardio would be beneficial, but opts to stay sedentary ...... it's like having a ticking time bomb in the house :explode:

Congrats on your decision to take control of your life ........ keep on truckin' ...... and enjoy the journey !
  • tsaggar
    tsaggar Posts: 1
    Options
    I can totally relate to being scared. I too watched the HBO series just a few weeks ago. Watching this series was what I needed for that "PUSH" to lose this fat once and for all. I just turned 50 this year and have never truly committed to long term health improvement. My goal is to lose 200 pounds. As of today, this is day 3 on MFP. The cliche` "one day at at time" is quickly becoming a reality and not just a pad response.
    I wish you great success on your journey.
  • MrsYellowDress
    Options
    Welcome...You ca do it.. Since tracking my calories and workouts on mfp I've lost about 8lbs in two weeks.. And im not starving myself just making better choices. It's definitely helping me stay focus on my goal of health and fitness..and I love the support here and reading of all the success stories. Now that the initial scare is over, time to get moving.
  • rooster70460
    rooster70460 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Contests and welcome to the family Stephen. We have all ended up here for many reasons but with one goal. To lose weight and get healthy. Some advice.....log every day ..rather it was good or bad. Get active doing what you love.... use MFP buddies for advice...support...and most importantly a sounding board!!!

You will find this is a great community of like minded people from all kinds of backgrounds and lifestyles... with one goal!!! Have a great weekend.
    Colette
  • rooster70460
    rooster70460 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Congrats not contest...pffft damn Auto Correct!! Lol
  • elifmemis
    elifmemis Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hope my story helps...I was really into my career most of my 20's and 30's (worked in advertising, and television and loved it). My weight seemed to stay between 140-150 during that time. I was never real thin but I always tried some diet and it sort of worked.

After I got married, we weren't getting pregnant...I decided to put my career on hold. That's when the roller coaster of treatments started (IVF, IUI's, lots of tests, blood work etc) 4 years I ballooned from 145 to 196. Depression, negative body image, no job, no baby made me feel helpless. I wouldn't wish this feeling upon anyone. Then I got pregnant naturally! The entire pregnancy I was constantly afraid something terrible would happen. Long story short she's now 17 months old. My little darling!! What I've learned is how much your mind has control of things. Docs told me my time has passed to have kids. I started believing it...I couldn't imagine I'd be pregnant with a healthy child. Teary eyed right now...Stay strong!

“The most difficult times for many of us are the ones we give ourselves.”
    ― Pema Chödrön,
    ― Pema Chödrön,
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I thin ALL of us on MFP are going thru much the same struggles--whether we have reached our goal weights and are struggling to stay there or are still trying to get there. I agree MFP is an amazing tool. Remember all those people who are watching you exercise are just totally jealous of you! Good luck.
  • fervc60
    fervc60 Posts: 70
    Options
    Good luck to you. I've struggled with weight all my life. I've been on BP meds for several years. The older I get the more I realize how much my risk for health problems increase. Health problems tend to increase as people age to begin, than add being overweight and sedentary and the outlook does get scary.