Hi- I'm new

Options
I am finally sick and tired of being overweight and miserable.
I have been watching "I can make you thin" and I have started
eating healthy and exercising at home on my stationary bike
as I have arthritis in my feet and cannot do anything weight
bearing. Does anyone have any other good exercises for
my condition? I really am feeling positive.

Great day!

Replies

• nannaterri
    Options
    I am finally sick and tired of being overweight and miserable.
    I have been watching "I can make you thin" and I have started
    eating healthy and exercising at home on my stationary bike
    as I have arthritis in my feet and cannot do anything weight
    bearing. Does anyone have any other good exercises for
    my condition? I really am feeling positive.

Great day!
  • REB89
    REB89 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure on exact exercise but maybe try posting in the exercise and fitness forum and i'm sure people will have some great ideas for you. Good luck!
  • neome90
    neome90 Posts: 420
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello ! Welcome to MFP. Lots of information here. Great tools , motivation and support. I :heart: this site. Best of wishes to you and your goals. :flowerforyou:
  • neome90
    neome90 Posts: 420
    Options
    :embarassed: Oh , I was going to ask you what state you are from ? I looked at your profile , but it did not say. Just curious. I am in northern Cal. :flowerforyou:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Hi nanna,

Welcome! :flowerforyou:

Any places where you can swim laps??
  • nannaterri
    Options
    Hi,

No I don't know how to swim, never allowed to as a child. I was told I could use a stationary
    excercise bike, which I have been doing 32 minutes a day out of desperation and my feet
    are killing me. Thanks for writing. I have lost one pound and I am eating much more
    healthy and less. So far that gives me some initiative.

Have a great day and thank you for replying !

Terri
  • nannaterri
    Options
    HI,

I am from New York State. I have four children and seven grandchildren. I love
    this site. I am keeping track of all I eat, eating healthier and less. I was told
    by the doctor who did my surgery, which was unsuccessful that I could use a
    stationary bike, which I have been doing 32 minutes a day out of desperation and
    my feet are killing me. Keep me awake all night in pain.

Thank you for responding and have a great day!

Terri
  • romywill
    romywill Posts: 42
    Options
    I can identify - I just joined to. One thing which is so hard is that it is a journey not an instant thing. Good luck! You can do it!!
  • romywill
    Options
    Did you have the gastric by pass done?
  • nannaterri
    Options
    No, I did not have gastric bypass.
  • Tisha
    Tisha Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just started using this website a week ago and I simply love it. This site is helping me stay focused on my goal of losing 15-20 lbs which I am hoping to have off sometime in the Summer. I just wanted to say hello and good luck to everyone. If anyone has any tips or low calorie recipes to share with me, please do. :happy:
  • romywill
    Options
    How did you do today? I still have 390 cals left, so I have to be very careful with dinner. I eat too much chunk - time to eval the cals. What is your goal?

Romy
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Welcome and best of luck to you! I know you don't know how to swim, but there are great courses to teach you how, and if you aren't fearful of the water you could just use a kickboard, it'll hold you up, I promise and just kick through the laps! Just keep your legs straight, soft knees(slightly bent) and kick them up and down alternating.......you may enjoy it and it can be a fantastic workout! I will try to come up with smething else that would hurt your feet! Oh, how about a rowing machine, great upper body and when you get good, great cardio!!!
  • nannaterri
    Options
    Thank you for your advice. It would be so hard as I am 55 and swimming just sounds
    so hard and my doctor said you wouldn't get much caloric burn if you don't actually do
    laps. I am still doing the bike even though it kills me. I might see if I could use my
    daughter-in-laws row machine. With four children and seven grandchildren it is so
    hard to find time to get out and go somewhere to do exercize. I am On-Call Nanna
    at all times. I actually raised one of my grandchildren til he was 8 and my ex-daughter
    in law kidnapped him back. I now have an 8 month old grandbaby living with us so
    he keeps me very busy as his Mom is finishing up finals and graduating from college.
    I keep plugging and hoping life will get easier. I do love this site. It is so helpful.
    I am absolutely ready to eat healthier no matter what.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Hi Nannaterri - welcome! This site is great! I think you will find great success...

As for exercise, in my twenties I killed myself exercising to stay in shape (at least an hour, 7 days a week at some points), and now that I'm a little older, I find my body is responding better to limiting the vigorous exercise to only a few times a week (3-5 workouts) and just really watching my diet.

I wish you great success. As for strength training work, could you do some seated work on the upper body, then some floor work for your core, back, and legs that would not involved pressure on your feet? Just an idea.
    :flowerforyou:
  • tsshipley
    Options
    I hope I can stick this out! I would LOVE to shed some LBS before swimsuit season is in full swing!
  • nannaterri
    Options
    Thanks for your encouragement. Yes, I am 55 so I know it is harder and with the
    arthritis it makes it even harder, but I am really trying and all the encouragement helps.

Thank you,

Terri
  • mi69blondie
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I am 26 (about to be 27) and I have 2 wonderful children. My husband is deployed, and I want to use the time he's away to get back my figure and health. My co-workers and I all joined the site to help track our progress and to reach out to others for support and encourgement! And if you need any, hopefully we can repay the favor!:happy: