This is gonna be harder than I thought...

Options
boomrain
boomrain Posts: 74 Member
I picked up my weight-loss where I had left off a year ago when I quit...only I had gained about 36 of the 80 pounds I had lost. It took me a while to get motivated again, but once I had it, I had it. It's been about 8 weeks and I'm starting to struggle. I'm suddenly getting discouraged because I have been steadily losing weight up until this week. It's been really hard work, doing 2 hours of cardio 5 days a week, doing 1 and a 1/2 hours of cardio and a strength training class 1 day a week and giving myself 1 rest day. Today I weighed in and only lost 1 pound. 1 pound! And I can't help but be so angry at myself because I have seriously worked SO hard. It's all because of those meatballs...

I'm not only struggling to incorporate more weights and strength training into my workout routines, but I am also struggling with my diet; finding the right things to eat, eating at the right times and the right amounts. It's so much work! And for my lifestyle? A HUGE problem. I work two 12 and one 15 hour overnight shift. A big part of my weight gain was because I was sleeping all day and then eating really crappy food all through the night, either because I was bored or to keep me awake. Now that I have changed my diet, it's hard to maintain a healthy eating schedule. I eat cereal in the morning...and depending on what's around, sometimes I will have banana bread (guilty! but I can't pass it up. It's my favorite). I get to go home in the mornings. So I go home, assuming I have eaten, I will just go to bed, but usually I'll have had a piece of fruit so I will eat cereal with my meds and go to bed. I usually wake up an hour before I go to work, so I wont have time to eat. I will eat when I get to work. Now most of the time I am eating fruit and that is it. But sometimes...like this week...I will shove 9 turkey Swedish meatballs in my face! Ugh. I also ate salads this week...with Ken's Light Ranch Dressing. So now I'm thinking that maybe I just had an intake of too much fat/saturated fat. Ugh.

But honestly, MyFitnessPal stresses me out! I'm constantly looking at my intake of calories compared to what I have burned...and most of the time I'm under my calorie goal, but I can't help it because of my lifestyle. It's hard for me to consume little meals throughout the day, let alone 3. Then on my days off, I'm so used to my 2-3 meals a day, I usually just stick to that. I portion out all of my food so I'm not overeating. If I really put in all of the hard work and really....thought about what I was eating and maybe even had a weekly menu, I could manage it. But that would take a lot of time and...right now it's not so much something that I am willing to do.

So...I've been watching what I have been eating, tracking everything and even though what I eat is pretty healthy, I'm thinking that maybe I am still not eating the right things. Most of my diet consists of fruit, yogurt, steamed veggies, rice, boneless/skinless chicken, sandwiches and ground turkey. Mind you, the sandwiches are with lean/low sodium meat, 45 calorie bread, lots of veggies and then of course a serving of Mayo (because I really just can't give up mayonnaise). My only other fat consumption is that of Light I Can't Believe It's Not butter and Ken's Buttermilk Ranch, of which I only use one serving of each and NOT everyday. OF course I am human and I have my slips, like those 9 turkey meatballs and I was giving myself a "cheat day" once a week. So, I'm thinking that maybe I need to be having a cheat day like...once every two weeks or once a month as a treat versus every week. There's just so much pressure to have a good diet in order to have good results. But it's days like...the 9 turkey meatball day when all I had was cereal that day, worked out for 2 hours and then had ALL of these calories left to consume and I am starving. I've been struggling with my consumption of protein, getting most of my intake on my days off because I obviously don't eat nearly enough on the days that I'm working. So...I figured the meatballs would be okay, and of course MyFitnessPal tells me I am not eating enough AND I was still under my fat and saturated fat goals. So it's not as if eating the 9 meatballs made me go over, but I am still wondering if it contributed to the fact that I only lost 1 pound this week.

My cereal of choice is Honey Nut Bunches of Oats and/or Honey Nut Cheerios...but I think that I am going to switch to regular Cheerios to limit my sugar intake. I think that will help because I tend to go way over my intake of sugars, even though most of the intake is from fruit. My other problem is money. I am NOT rich and eating healthy is so expensive...so it can be wicked hard.

I don't know anymore. I feel as though I am just rambling now about nothing. I'm going to the gym today and of course I will be staying there for 2 hours like I normally do...but I am so unmotivated right now, it's not even funny. Normally I would have a cheat day today and I told myself if I had lost 3 pounds a cheat day would be fine. But now there is no way I am giving myself that cheat day. I don't know. This whole diet thing. It's too hard...and I feel as though I am going about it all wrong.

If you read this, thanks for taking the time. Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm going to need all the advice, positivity and encouragement I can get...

Replies

• charleston123
    Options
    Tell me about it! I am VERY FRUSTRATED! 4 years ago I did lA Weight Loss and it was the ONLY plan that ever worked for me (I lossed 26 lbs-just what I hoped to lose.) Then they went out of business!! I tried to do it on muy own but never lost again! Then the weight started creeping back though I didn't really change my eating habits. Now, 4 years later I'm trying to lose the 26 lbs again! I tried Weight Watchers ON LINE-followed it exactly but no results! Someone suggested MY Fitness Pal and I've been pretty good on the 1220 calories suggested but no results! HELP ME PLEASE!!!:frown:
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I found that I use MFP like a game. I take a low stress approach at losing weight. If you take it too seriously you'll have no fun. Your trying to be a new person but if you need to act like a new person first.

The term DIET alone brings stress. I feel you shouldn't say you diet instead you have a lifestyle change. Don't worry about looking at calories all day. Just keep logging calories and just take a look at the end of the day. Even if your over you can adjust slowly don't make it a radical change.

Be happy and enjoy yourself.
  • boomrain
    Options
    I think that depending on how much you weigh, diet is really only going to get you so far. Definitely if you're as heavy as I was, diet is all you need in the beginning. I definitely couldn't have lost all of the weight that I have lost without working out. What are your days like? Are you sedentary? You should definitely be eating whole grains, things with fiber, fruits, veggies and ALL lean meats, while incorporating some kind workout. Portion, Portion, Portion. I think that even if you're not exactly eating everything that's healthy for you (like me), portioning everything is key here. And you will find that a serving size is enough! It can be annoying and makes the eating process longer, but portioning for me has really helped. Even if it's just that you're taking a walk. You're supposed to get at least 30 minutes, 3 days a week. I'm always encouraging people to move, move, move because you will see such a tremendous difference if you do!! :smile:

i think that Weight Watchers works for some people and then doesn't for others. I mean, with Weight Watchers you can pretty much each what you want, but if you use all your points, that's it! So...that can be SUPER frustrating. I would say figure out what the foods that you love to eat, eat those, but portion it to actual service size. They say eating smaller meals throughout the day versus the 3 main meals will help you stay fuller throughout the day and help you not think about food so much. That's a huge problem for me. I LOVE food and I am always thinking about what I am going to be eating. If you aren't into the smaller meals throughout the day like me, I would suggest doing the 3 meals, plus 2 snacks. That I think is the general norm. I think that once you figure out what foods you like and are good for you, you can get into a routine and get your diet back on track. Make sure you're watching your sodium consumption and look at labels. This tracker definitely helps with that kind of stuff so I think that by using this tracker, you're on the right path. You'll get there, don't worry!! Diet is a lot of trial and error. You've just gotta figure out what works for you and your body. Good luck!!:smile:
  • propskat
    propskat Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    OK deep breath. One pound is better than no pounds, right? Maybe you're starting to build muscle, maybe its your TOM, or maybe your body is just adjusting. You would have to eat a whole lot more than 9 meatballs to gain a whole pound if you were under your weekly goal. Maybe its sodium. Just drink lots of water, keep trying to eat up to your calorie goal, and and relax. It took a long time to gain it, its not coming off overnight. And I recommend giving yourself an extra day off from the gym. Go do something active that doesn't feel so much like work!
  • boomrain
    Options
    You're right Articfox and not for nothing, but you sound just like my mom!:tongue: She is always saying the same thing to me, 'It's not a diet! It's a lifestyle change." I'm trying so hard not to focus on my consumption and not put so much pressure on it. I think this all partly due to the fact that I am trying to reach a HUGE milestone in my life. I am trying to get under 200 pounds for the first time since I have been in High School!! I only have 11 more pounds to go and I wanted to reach that goal by early July, but it doesn't seem that it's going to happen that way. I think that's why I am getting so discouraged. 11 pounds seems like NOTHING compared to what I have lost and I'm just like UGH, I want to just get there!!! Thanks so much for the advice!!
  • nurserae7
    nurserae7 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hello!

First let me say...take a deep breath. This is a life long journey and you are in the same boat with many of us on that journey. You are not alone!! We are here to help you. Encourage you. Support you. And yes, you can vent and lean on us!

Working the night shift is very difficult on the body, mind, and spirit. Unless others have worked that shift, they have NO IDEA how incredibly hard it is. And yes, it also messes up the days you have off. I've been there too. I know how hard that shift is. I wish I had some expert advice just for night-shifters. You just have to hang in there and get through it. During the lull of a boring night, instead of eating junk food, I would find an empty hallway and try to do lunges as far down that hall as I could then turn around and come back. Some of the other staff joined me from time to time. It wasn't an official workout, but it kept us awake without having to eat a bunch of junk!!

Snack baggies filled with portioned nuts, dried apricots, and a small square of dark chocolate was my friend!! I felt like I was being treated to a special treat just for working nights. I guess I'm easily amused at myself. :laugh: I didn't think I would like V8 juice, but I got used to it. I never seemed to get in enough veggies at night either. So, I would sip it with a straw ice cold. I really liked it and it helped get in the veggies I lacked. It is high in sodium though so beware. Try the low sodium version if you want, though I didn't like the taste of it much.

Hang in there!!!! Life will slow down. You will find what works for you. But NEVER give up! You are doing a great job!!:flowerforyou:
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    The meatballs is ok! Don´t think about it, they´re not a problem.

Be carefull not to eat to little, it might stop your calorie burn, if your body thinks you´re starving. And ofcourse you can have a cheet day. Didn´t you just loose a pound? It´s progress. Not as much as you want, but be realistic. It´s still utterly progress!!! Your body don´t burn the same amount of fat all the time, it tends to slow down. Thats not a mistake you made, that´s just you having a normal body. Don´t stress out about it.

But it worries me, that you nearly don´t eat and work out a lot. You body needs to have something to build up muscles with. And muscles is heavier than fat. Don´t panic because you "only" lost a pound. Be proud of what you have achieved!!! You have all reason to!

I´m new in here, just started today. I don´t have any wisdom or great experience to give away, but I´ll support and encourage. I too needs motivation and support. I´m in this alone, my family `loves me the way I am´- and buy me cakes and icecream (I love icecream! I just can´t say no.) I too have my goals and I´m determined to reach them. But there will be good days and bad days, I know. Let´s work togehther?
  • boomrain
    Options
    You are so right Propskat, I really should give myself and extra day and just do something active...but haha...I'm going to try not to give you my WHOLE entire life story, but it's so much easier being motivated when you have active friends...or in my case even, an active girlfriend!! She hasn't been of much help, although encouraging. I will be like, lets go do something!! Trying to get her to do anything remotely active is a chore in itself and then we just end up fighting and well...she has her own personal issues. Whatever the case, it's hard for me to want to go out to do things on my own. I actually don't find it hard going to the gym by myself and to be honest...aside from taking my Zumba classes and doing strength training, I rather work out by myself. I get in a zone. But other than that, I would be really motivating to have someone to do weights with or have someone who is willing to go out to the park and play a little basketball or something!!

I DO need to take a breath. I try telling myself to just take a step back and no matter what, this is a long road so why rush it?? Thanks so much for the advice!!:smile:
  • boomrain
    Options
    Nurserae, you're a gem! People DON'T realize how hard the night life is. It's crazy difficult!! I have another overnight friend who also does exercises during the night to help her stay awake and energized. I think that it's a great idea and I think that considering the fact that I am not getting enough strength training, that I should definitely consider incorporating something. I have actually never tried V8. I do get a decent amount of veggies on my days off, but I'm thinking that I should maybe start bringing a bag of steamed veggies to work too. I am not so sure I would enjoy the V8:wink: But I am not opposed to trying! I've tried the nut thing, because I enjoy almonds...but I get bored of them SO fast. I eat a few and then I'm over it. I am definitely trying to figure out what else I could be eating throughout the night that will be good for me and not hinder my weight loss. Thanks so much for all your advice and encouragement!!

Leahartmann, I would love to work together! that would be great! And you're right, it worries me too that I am not eating enough and working out so much, especially on the days that I work. Also, the tracker is constantly screaming at me that I am not eating enough, so that is kind of stressful too, especially since the last thing I want to do is starve myself. Sometimes I just get too hyped up on how many calories I am consuming. And not even so much the calories, but I am overly obsessed with not having a lot of fat in my diet....well because I don't need any more FAT! Although, I do need good fats. Ugh, ice cream is SUCH a huge weak spot for me, I like...want some right now. I actually woke up this morning before my weigh-in thinking about ice cream. No really....I was. I'm glad that your family loves who you are, but I can see how frustrating that is when you're just trying to be healthy. We'll definitely encourage and help each other out!! :smile:
  • tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    In the beginning of every weight-loss campaign, there is always the most dramatic change in ponds lost; and people naturally set their expectations to match that rate but really, one pound a week is the safest and most realistic goal! And, yes, there are going to be hiccups and plateaus and even the return of a couple pounds every once in awhile; but it's all part of the process!

From what you've written, the biggest challenge actually seems to be the allocation of calories over the course of your waking hours. You might want to try incorporating foods that are low on the glycemic index, such as sprouted grain breads, grapefruit, All-Bran, and sweet potatoes...

Don't beat yourself up over not strictly adhering to diet specifications. Occasional deviations are not going to sabotage your efforts, only your losing sight of your goal will. I've seen it many times, wherein people are eating better and exercising more, but when they lose the motivation, it's like the mind set changes the body's chemistry in some weird way and they stop progressing. I know that sounds whacked; but there it is :-/

Hang in there. I'm sure something will break for you soon and you will be able to look back at this as a minor bump in the road :-)

n.b - I am not a dietician or medical professional, only an experienced dieter who is managing to take everything I've ever learned and smash it into my own, final weight-loss campaign. ;-)
  • boomrain
    Options
    Oh Tanya, how incredibly correct you are. Actually, after my initial reaction to my one pound weight loss, I literally thought, "well that's what you're supposed to lose." But then of course I get in my head and then I'm like, "What a huge set back!" I do really need to have realistic goals with myself, ones that I can actually reach. Like I had said in a previous reply, I think that I am putting so much pressure on myself right now because I have a milestone that I am about to reach for the first time. I am excited and I am anxious about it! I just...want it to get there so fast, when really I should just keep doing what I am doing (eating more of course) and I will eventually get there. It was all so much easier when I weighed more and my goal was to just eat better and lose weight. Where as now I am like, "I need to be under 200!!!" So yeah, I'm just putting too much stress on myself by wanting something that isn't necessarily realistic or healthy. So yes, thank you for calling me out on that!!

As for the food. Ugh, sweet potatoes. Man, I just can't get into those. You know, I am a HUGE picky eater and that's part of the reason why I find it so hard to find healthy things to eat through out the night, but I am definitely going to take your suggestions into consideration, so thank you very much for your advice!! :smile:
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I agree that works best, cause stress will keep you from losing weight.
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I worked night shift for years. It does tend to mess with things.

I don't know your exact numbers but I stuck my guess into a calculator.
    Based on your exercise of 6 days a week your calorie intake to LOSE weight might be around 2600 calories per day.
    It's just a guesstimate and might be why your weight loss is slowing down if your calories are much lower.
  • boomrain
    Options
    Spearfox, you're probably right. I definitely need to consume more calories. I'm definitely going to work on that for sure, although its hard, especially on my work nights. I don't want to platoe and/or slow down my Weightloss. It's going to be hard work, but I'll definitely work on it. Thanks for your advice!
  • elifmemis
    elifmemis Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    There was a point in my life where I smoked cigarettes. It was so hard...I would buy a pack, smoke one, then throw the whole pack out. Sometimes I would pour water on it so I wouldn't dig through the garbage. Today, I felt so lost without food, my snacks and I caved in to having 5 nutrigrain bars. WTF but that feeling came back to me again. Losing control. Please keep trying... It's so easy to gain everything back.

One thing, when I stopped smoking I would change my routine. And don't beat yourself up about only losing 1 lb. Please add me to your friends.

Elle
  • firemedicjoe26
    Options
    Too much cardio can stall weight loss as well. to be successfull you must have a good mix of cardio and weight training the MFP has helped me with my diet. Here are my suggestions you can take them or leave it is up to you I was once 190 and droped 35 pounds in 90 days I am now 162lb with a goal weight of 155lb right now I am @ 10% body fat. Try scaling back your cardio to 3 days a week and weight training the other days. another suggestion is interval training high intensity for short or moderate periods and then rest. Try sprinting for 2minutes and then back off to a comfortable pace for 3minutes and then back to sprinting. Hill training is good as well it requires your intensity level to vary like with interval training. like I said those are just some suggestions to change up your work outs because it sounds like you have Plateaued which can be very frustrating. Just stick with every wall has a door
  • boomrain
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I think that I am going to scale back on my cardio and then pick it up again. It's been wicked hard for me to get into the strength training part, but I'm getting there. As for the intervals, that's what I am wicked good at, but as you said, I fear I may have started to plateau, so I have recently changed up how I do cardio and added different machines. Hopefully that helps a little. My Zumba class has started changing routine too, so I think that is going to definitely help. I've also gotta start consuming the right foods and the right amount. I struggle with that due to my lifestyle. No matter what I haven't given up, so thanks for the ideas and encouragements!
  • aaakayofmpls
    Options
    remember muscle weighs more than fat. I too ran across that,, so I was reminded,, during weight training. do a lesser weight and more reps,, Lord dont I know about little or no weight loss or gain at that. My 1st week weight training I gained 3 lbs.. MEASURE inches during this time. I did and it diverted my discouragement in the scale
  • poulingail
    poulingail Posts: 110
    Options
    Are you eating better and exercising? I suspect "yes" so step away from the scale and absorb the plan as your way of life. Revisit the scale from time to time but don't obsess. You need to eat well and exercise as a way of life, not simply to lose weight. It's too easy to drop the watching calories in and calories out. The logging in accountability means better health for you and that should be the goal. You will never be able to eat the way you used to so get a handle on that. I am still shocked by how little I can eat for my 5'2" sedentary frame. But that is the reality. Weight loss is a fickle things. You'll be up one day, down the next and seeing the scale on the up days is demoralizing. So step away from the scale for a while and check in later in with it at the end of the month. My last check showed another pound lost but I'm not entering it yet as it needs to prove itself a few more times. I am living a very healthy life style and I still could lose another 60 pounds ~ just not realistic for me.
    Hang in there and don't give up. Embrace the positives of your program and accept the changes. :flowerforyou:
  • marpalde
    marpalde Posts: 9
    Options
    You are working a lot and working out a lot but probably sleeping too little. When our body gets tired, we fuel it with food to bring our energy level back up. Usually that food is sugar. Notice that the next time you are tired. Know your triggers and change how you handle them. If you are working out a lot then concentrate on increasing your protein. Don't buy junk food which is more expensive than fresh foods. If they're not in your kitchen then there's nothing bad to eat. Grocery shopping trick to help is to shop only the perimeter of the grocery store. Everything in between (isles) is usually full of preservatives and too much sodium. You ate the meatballs because you had them readily available to you. And probably turned to them for a quick energy boost. You can do it. You're already on the right track. Stay focused And picture yourself in the body you want and it will be yours.