I did it!! Will I gain weight??

Options
I started working on the weight machines and loved it!! However I am now afraid that may gain weight from them. What a dilemma!!

Replies

• SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You will gain muscle which weighs more than fat. Don't worry about the number. Your clothes will start to fit better. Your fat will melt away easier with more lean muscle mass.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! I absolutely love lifting...Much better than cardio - All of that jumping around kills me...You may not notice as big of a change on the scale as you are used to but if you measure and go by how your clothes fit you will love it too!!

Strong is the new Skinny!!! :)
  • batgirl8809
    batgirl8809 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You might, but it won't be fat, and it will even out in the long run. Just wanted to point out that MUSCLE DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THAN FAT. It is denser, yes, so it looks better/smaller, but for goodness sake peeps, a pound is a pound!
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    You will gain muscle which weighs more than fat. Don't worry about the number. Your clothes will start to fit better. Your fat will melt away easier with more lean muscle mass.

Yes and no. Muscle doesn't "weigh" more than fat, it's denser than fat, which means it takes up less space, ultimately making your body leaner and more defined. And the more muscle you put on, the more it helps your metabolism, thus burning more calories and fat in the long run.

Lift and lift heavy. It will produce beautiful lean body mass!
  • rjams
    rjams Posts: 48
    Options
    If you do gain weight it'll be only muscle which is a lot smaller than fat, if anything it'll make you look better!

http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/images/fat-v-muscle.jpg

I attached a link of a picture to help give you a better idea of what I'm talking about :)
  • BttrflyKisses925
    BttrflyKisses925 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs the same as fat but is just smaller so takes up less room so therefore you will become smaller, weight will change w/ diet :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    You should gain muscle mass, which may cause a small increase on the scale. (But of course you're tracking your body fat and have an idea of your lean mass.) Whether or not you look leaner or bigger depends on things like how you carry weight and what kind of exercise you do.

Strength training is good exercise, but it increases metabolism only slightly. I think the figure I read was something like 6 calories an hour.
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    How "heavy " should I be lifting?? To where I can only do about 8 reps?? How many sets of reps should I do??
  • AshlyRamos
    AshlyRamos Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You might, but it won't be fat, and it will even out in the long run. Just wanted to point out that MUSCLE DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THAN FAT. It is denser, yes, so it looks better/smaller, but for goodness sake peeps, a pound is a pound!

Which reminds me.. Which weighs more? A pound of feathers or a pound of concrete? Haha.
  • mfpcopine
    Options

Which reminds me.. Which weighs more? A pound of feathers or a pound of concrete? Haha.

How would you say it? For the same amount of volume, muscle weighs more than fat because it is denser.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

Which weighs more? One cubic foot of fat or one cubic foot of muscle?

To OP: If you're eating at a caloric deficit, you won't gain weight, regardless of how much weight you're lifing. It takes a caloric surplus to gain weight.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You will be up slightly the days following but it will even out and you will notice small appearance changes
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    How "heavy " should I be lifting?? To where I can only do about 8 reps?? How many sets of reps should I do??

It depends on your goals and your program. Programs designed to build bigger muscles (hypertrophy) usually require the heaviest weights that can be handled with good form for 8 to 12 reps for three sets.
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    If you do gain weight it'll be only muscle which is a lot smaller than fat, if anything it'll make you look better!

http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/images/fat-v-muscle.jpg

I attached a link of a picture to help give you a better idea of what I'm talking about :)

adding your picture
    fat-v-muscle.jpg
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    who cares? it will be sexy muscle weight, not flabby fat weight :D and muscle looks smaller than fat so focus on inches rather than the scale :)
  • freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    who cares? it will be sexy muscle weight, not flabby fat weight :D and muscle looks smaller than fat so focus on inches rather than the scale :)

^^THIS!! EFF the scale number if your pants start getting looser!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Super! Now ditch the machines and start a free weight program like Starting STrength or New Rules.
  • tripletmom2004
    tripletmom2004 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    One step at a time!!
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    You may gain some weight from your body retaining water as you start weight training. Don't get discouraged about the water weight gain in the first few weeks. After that, you should see weight loss, assuming you are eating at a deficit.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I did notice that my weight loss slowed quite a bit. Maybe because I am gaining the muscle faster than I am losing the fat? IDK but I definitely can see a difference in my body and i like it!!!