My first time posting before & *during* pics 60lbs lost

I started my journey on July 3rd, 2011 at 321lbs. My lowest weight I reached was 256.4lbs on March 24, 2012. I have since gained 9.6lbs :( I am hoping that by posting this pic (that I was SUPER proud of), I will find my motivation again. I want to lose that 9.6lbs again and an additional 36.4lbs. I may revisit my goal when I reached that point and decide to lose more.

So here's my before & during pic. I had accidentally mixed the dates up so the pic on the left was taken May 21, 2011 and the pic on the right was taken Dec 24, 2011.

I was soooo happy in the pic on the right. That's the smallest I have ever been. And even though I only weigh 6 more lbs now than I did in that pic, I feel way bigger now. My tummy was a lot more toned then bc of how much I was working out. I definitely want to pick that back up again and add in some other workouts to target a few other areas.

Picnik20collage.jpg

I hope I posted the pic correct. I tried to follow the post directing me how to do it but I'm not sure I did it right. Lol.

Replies

• TinaBina313
    TinaBina313 Posts: 42 Member
    great job!!
  • birdshoup
    birdshoup Posts: 23 Member
    I love this! Great motivation! Keep going!
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    You went back in time?
  • nurserae7
    nurserae7 Posts: 43 Member
    You've done a FABULOUS job!!:flowerforyou:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    You went back in time?

Um. She said she mixed up the dates in her original post.

To the OP: Great job!
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    You went back in time?

Um. She said she mixed up the dates in her original post.

To the OP: Great job!

Ahh gotchya.. missed that part.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Excellent! So excited you posted the wrong date lol.

But you look good! Go ahead wit ya bad self !!!
  • Corrie_Lynn
    Corrie_Lynn Posts: 53 Member
    wow, wow, wow!! Nice job!
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    You are doing such a great job! Make your "after" picture your next before picture and just imagine how proud you are going to feel
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Good for you!
  • keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    WTG! Keep up the good work!
  • Amazon135
    Amazon135 Posts: 10 Member
    Great job! Keep it up - don't allow yourself to get discouraged. Forget that you gained a few - just remember how much you've lost, and focus on today!

I was where you are - 260 lbs, for several years. 245 for several more after that. 2 years ago I was 145. I went through some changes and upheaval, fell off the wagon, and gained some back, but I know I can do it again.

It took me a year and a half to go from 245 to 145. Just imagine - keep steady and 18 mos from now, you could be 160! At least for me, the way to do it isn't to think about the end goal (too far away!), it's to think about each day - each time you get to log your weight and it's a pound lower, it's a reward all on it's own. It's 1lb less than yesterday.

When you want to go for a large loss, which takes time to do it right, I find that it's easier if you get into a system/routine/habit where you can "zone out" - almost on auto pilot. Just like brushing your teeth - you don't really think about it, you just do it the same way every day - the way that works best for you. Do the same with each meal - generally you'll discover that you have 1-2 breakfasts, ~5 lunches, a few dinners, and 1-2 dessert options, etc... that you like best and work best for you when losing. Same for workouts. So, make it a routine habit - do it the same style every day, selecting from your standby pen of favorites, one day at a time.

In that mode, I find that even though I'm only focusing on today or tomorrow, the months/pounds fly by faster than I ever thought possible - because I'm paying attention to other things rather than my diet/exercise, since I know that if I just keep going the way I am - everything will be good. It's just my life - what I do every day.

And for the love of God: If there is a part of your routine that you absolutely dread every day - where it takes all of your focus and energy just to force yourself into it / through it each and every day, or that you have to bend over backwards to accommodate - FIND ANOTHER WAY. With a long term large loss, I found that this was the only way - because it will mess with your ability to be content in your zone/routine. Ignore anyone that implies that this is "lazy" and that you should just muscle through it - or that tells you they've done it and it's really not that hard (making you feel like you're a total ***** - I never understood why people think this is helpful).

For anyone that is at 200+, it's a completely different world. Everything is more difficult and must be sustained for a much longer period of time to be successful. Someone who needs to lose 5, 10, or even 20 lbs. can more easily "bite the bullet" and force themselves to tolerate something they hate for a month or two before transitioning back to maintenance. It's entirely different when healthy eating and (especially) exercise are already MUCH more difficult each day for someone at 200+, but when you are looking down the barrel of doing it every day for 1, 2, or more YEARS - you're doomed. Nobody has that kind of fortitude - not even f-ing Superman.

What almost never seems to get said or understood, but really needs to in the world of weight loss, is that if you are starting at 200+ you just can't diet/exercise like someone who is starting at under 200 lbs. I know it's not optimal, but I didn't exercise AT ALL until I was below 200lbs - it was so horrendously difficult that if I tried to force myself to do it it tanked my whole effort. I never would have gotten below 200 if I had, because I would have given up. You have to do what you can do every day - like brushing your teeth. Even if it's small things - they are things that you weren't doing before, right? And you can always add more at any time. All the gyms, weights, running shoes, and celery in the world are not going to disappear tomorrow.

Once I was under 200 I started walking, then eventually working on the Couch to 5K program, then trying weight routines and gym memberships. And, sure, when I didn't exercise there were lots of under 200 folks that looked down on me for that or thought I was weak willed - but nobody was criticizing when I got down to 145. Suddenly they were all asking me for tips.

Nobody would dream of asking someone who's 5'4 to repair a ceiling fan without a ladder, and then criticize them because they can't do it the same way as someone that is 6'7. You are who you are. You can't approach weight loss like someone who's 160lbs. You can't expect it of yourself, and if anyone else expects it of you (especially if they have never been there), you can tell them to piss off. And trust me it will happen - because they can't understand what's it's like or how much strength it really takes unless they are willing to wake up every morning, take a Unisom, and strap on 60+lbs worth of ankle / arm / backpack weights before proceeding with their day. And I know, from experience, that it truly is that much different.

And even I can only imagine how much strength and fortitude it has taken to come as far as you have. Congratulate yourself for that, and recognize that it means you are an extraordinarily strong person that can do anything you put your mind to.

*stepping down from soapbox*
  • lincolnmandu
    lincolnmandu Posts: 3 Member
    Do not let a small slip up cause you to lose your focus. This is a journey that will have it's up and downs. I have so many times thrown in the towel , because of a few lbs. gained. Focus on what you have accomplished, forget about the 9 lbs. and continue towards your goal. Don't be so hard on yourself. Good luck.
  • tradkins12
    tradkins12 Posts: 20
    Thank you so much to everyone for the encouraging words. It means a lot to me :)
  • tradkins12
    tradkins12 Posts: 20
    Great job! Keep it up - don't allow yourself to get discouraged. Forget that you gained a few - just remember how much you've lost, and focus on today!

I was where you are - 260 lbs, for several years. 245 for several more after that. 2 years ago I was 145. I went through some changes and upheaval, fell off the wagon, and gained some back, but I know I can do it again.

It took me a year and a half to go from 245 to 145. Just imagine - keep steady and 18 mos from now, you could be 160! At least for me, the way to do it isn't to think about the end goal (too far away!), it's to think about each day - each time you get to log your weight and it's a pound lower, it's a reward all on it's own. It's 1lb less than yesterday.

When you want to go for a large loss, which takes time to do it right, I find that it's easier if you get into a system/routine/habit where you can "zone out" - almost on auto pilot. Just like brushing your teeth - you don't really think about it, you just do it the same way every day - the way that works best for you. Do the same with each meal - generally you'll discover that you have 1-2 breakfasts, ~5 lunches, a few dinners, and 1-2 dessert options, etc... that you like best and work best for you when losing. Same for workouts. So, make it a routine habit - do it the same style every day, selecting from your standby pen of favorites, one day at a time.

In that mode, I find that even though I'm only focusing on today or tomorrow, the months/pounds fly by faster than I ever thought possible - because I'm paying attention to other things rather than my diet/exercise, since I know that if I just keep going the way I am - everything will be good. It's just my life - what I do every day.

And for the love of God: If there is a part of your routine that you absolutely dread every day - where it takes all of your focus and energy just to force yourself into it / through it each and every day, or that you have to bend over backwards to accommodate - FIND ANOTHER WAY. With a long term large loss, I found that this was the only way - because it will mess with your ability to be content in your zone/routine. Ignore anyone that implies that this is "lazy" and that you should just muscle through it - or that tells you they've done it and it's really not that hard (making you feel like you're a total ***** - I never understood why people think this is helpful).

For anyone that is at 200+, it's a completely different world. Everything is more difficult and must be sustained for a much longer period of time to be successful. Someone who needs to lose 5, 10, or even 20 lbs. can more easily "bite the bullet" and force themselves to tolerate something they hate for a month or two before transitioning back to maintenance. It's entirely different when healthy eating and (especially) exercise are already MUCH more difficult each day for someone at 200+, but when you are looking down the barrel of doing it every day for 1, 2, or more YEARS - you're doomed. Nobody has that kind of fortitude - not even f-ing Superman.

What almost never seems to get said or understood, but really needs to in the world of weight loss, is that if you are starting at 200+ you just can't diet/exercise like someone who is starting at under 200 lbs. I know it's not optimal, but I didn't exercise AT ALL until I was below 200lbs - it was so horrendously difficult that if I tried to force myself to do it it tanked my whole effort. I never would have gotten below 200 if I had, because I would have given up. You have to do what you can do every day - like brushing your teeth. Even if it's small things - they are things that you weren't doing before, right? And you can always add more at any time. All the gyms, weights, running shoes, and celery in the world are not going to disappear tomorrow.

Once I was under 200 I started walking, then eventually working on the Couch to 5K program, then trying weight routines and gym memberships. And, sure, when I didn't exercise there were lots of under 200 folks that looked down on me for that or thought I was weak willed - but nobody was criticizing when I got down to 145. Suddenly they were all asking me for tips.

Nobody would dream of asking someone who's 5'4 to repair a ceiling fan without a ladder, and then criticize them because they can't do it the same way as someone that is 6'7. You are who you are. You can't approach weight loss like someone who's 160lbs. You can't expect it of yourself, and if anyone else expects it of you (especially if they have never been there), you can tell them to piss off. And trust me it will happen - because they can't understand what's it's like or how much strength it really takes unless they are willing to wake up every morning, take a Unisom, and strap on 60+lbs worth of ankle / arm / backpack weights before proceeding with their day. And I know, from experience, that it truly is that much different.

And even I can only imagine how much strength and fortitude it has taken to come as far as you have. Congratulate yourself for that, and recognize that it means you are an extraordinarily strong person that can do anything you put your mind to.

*stepping down from soapbox*

Wow!! I just sat here and read this 3 times. Lol And I am truly grateful that you took time out of your day to write such amazing and powerful words to me. This is definitely something I am going to save (and probably even print out. Lol) so I can refer back to whenever I am having a bad day. Thank you soooooo much!!!!
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Wonderful!!!!
  • Melonhead
    Melonhead Posts: 168
    You have done so well. You will get there! Thanks for sharing, very motivating!
  • lluulluu
    lluulluu Posts: 115 Member
    You look great! Don't worry about what you have gain. .. Just start again and don't look back. You can do it !!
  • jdforshort
    jdforshort Posts: 269 Member
    In response to Amazon135:

:flowerforyou: You are right on the mark! as the saying goes,"Steady as she goes"! Very encouraging post and hits home the points! Thank you for sharing!
  • Neahpata
    Neahpata Posts: 322 Member
    Great job OP. :happy:

In response to Amazon135, thanks for this post, I am actually saving it for a reminder in the future. I have over 100 pounds to lose and I needed this.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!