Vacation + dieting = disaster

Options
Anyone vacationed lately? I'm heading out of town soon, staying with a relative, but won't be around 'home' much. Looking for suggestions on how to handle meals so that I don't derail! Thanks.

Replies

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Germany next month for a week.

I'm not going to sweat it. I'll eat sensibly but I'm not going to deny myself something I want. It's a vacation. I'll get back on it when I return.
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Interested to see any suggestions - we're going on holiday soon too - in a hotel so pretty much all meals are going to be eating out. Hoping there'll be a local produce market so we can pick up some fresh fruit and veg for lunches.
  • Lillyeatslillies
    Options
    Enjoying food on vacation is a part of vacationing but it doesn't mean you need to binge eat either. I say a couple tips would be when you are out at a restaurant ask for a doggie bag with your meal and put half of it in there before you start eating so it's only half a serving, order salads with dressing on the side, bring bananas oranges and apples to your hotel room. They don't need to be refrigerated and keep well. If you eat mean low fat turkey jerky is great for travel, protein bars and so forth. I hope this helps! :)
  • andyp79
    andyp79 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just got back from a 5 day break yesterday! I didn't bother tracking any food. Didn't think about calories. Tried not to go silly but didn't deny myself either. Only gained .75lb. Straight back onto mfp today feeling very relaxed and ready to go again! It doesn't have to be a disaster.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've been on vacation multiple times since starting on my weight loss journey. The first time, I went camping with my boyfriend and his parents. I had no control over the food (they provided everything) and boy was I nervous. I enjoyed myself, didn't obsess and simply tried to eat smaller portions of what was offered. I came home and I had lost weight.

We went to Cedar Point and camping last year, I have to admit that I loosened up and really enjoyed myself. I ate what I wanted, when I wanted it. Came home and while I felt bloated and blah, I had lost weight.

Go and enjoy yourself. Life is to be lived. Yes, losing weight is important, but so is enjoying your life.
  • Gestahl
    Gestahl Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    My wife and I just had our first anniversary... and no, the food wasn't exactly low-calorie. But we tried to be reasonable and kept ourselves active (lots and lots of walking) and it all worked out. Neither one of us gained a whole lot of weight, and we were both losing again by the end of the next week.
  • Elizabeethan
    Elizabeethan Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Interested to see any suggestions - we're going on holiday soon too - in a hotel so pretty much all meals are going to be eating out. Hoping there'll be a local produce market so we can pick up some fresh fruit and veg for lunches.

Hi Sue ... I will have a rental car, so I had planned to pop into a store after assessing what I might need (like fruits and veg) to get me through the days too. I am meeting friends one evening and KNOW we're having pizza, so I'll just have to go easy the rest of that day. :) It's taken me forever to just lose the 6 I've lost ... I don't want to put it all back on in one day!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Anyone vacationed lately? I'm heading out of town soon, staying with a relative, but won't be around 'home' much. Looking for suggestions on how to handle meals so that I don't derail! Thanks.

We went on vacation to Mexico last April for 10 days. It was an all-inclusive resort with 6 gourmet restaurants on the property and lots and lots of drinks. I didn't worry about calories the entire time because I had worked hard before vacation and wanted to indulge and enjoy myself. I ate/drank to my heart's content but balanced it by taking long walks on the beach in the morning and evening. Those walks were relaxing and something I wouldn't consider "exercise"... but it was enough to help me from gaining too much bloat weight. I gained maybe 3-4 pounds during that time but it quickly came off when we got home and I was back in my regular routine. If you find yourself indulging a little too much, maybe just find a way to get up and move for a while. Go for a walk, etc. Have fun!
  • mom2gar
    mom2gar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    In 5 days I leave for a cruise. I won't be tracking, but I will be mindful of what I'm putting in my mouth. If I gain, I'll move on and jump back on the tracking log and such. We all need breaks sometime.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Rule 1. Enjoy Yourself, if you feel deprived, you will only hurt yourself in the long run.
    Rule 2. Eat what makes sense and what is unique. Don't order lobster in Ohio, , but do order crab in Maryland, etc....
    Rule 3. Breakfast can be plain and simple.
  • Elizabeethan
    Options
    Enjoying food on vacation is a part of vacationing but it doesn't mean you need to binge eat either. I say a couple tips would be when you are out at a restaurant ask for a doggie bag with your meal and put half of it in there before you start eating so it's only half a serving, order salads with dressing on the side, bring bananas oranges and apples to your hotel room. They don't need to be refrigerated and keep well. If you eat mean low fat turkey jerky is great for travel, protein bars and so forth. I hope this helps! :)

Thanks for the great suggestions, Lilly.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options

I'm not going to sweat it. I'll eat sensibly but I'm not going to deny myself something I want. It's a vacation. I'll get back on it when I return.
    Where in Germany. Better have the cailories for it too.

xD
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

Where in Germany. Better have the cailories for it too.

xD
    Düsseldorf.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I go extra clean when I travel. I focus on eating super healthy, and WHOLE foods and don't worry about the calories.
  • MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Hi Sue ... I will have a rental car, so I had planned to pop into a store after assessing what I might need (like fruits and veg) to get me through the days too. I am meeting friends one evening and KNOW we're having pizza, so I'll just have to go easy the rest of that day. :) It's taken me forever to just lose the 6 I've lost ... I don't want to put it all back on in one day!

Hi Elizabeethan (is that your name really?)
    I know what you mean, I've taken so long to lose the weight I have, I really don't want to be putting too much back on (although I accept that some sort of gain is pretty much inevitable). I agree with most of the posters here, that holidays are to be enjoyed, and I'm certainly going to take that on board. I think trying to be sensible at the same time and getting a good bit of exercise should limit the damage!
    Enjoy your holiday - let me know how you get on :O)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Try to make wise choices but enjoy yourself. I've never gained weight on vacation.
  • monicamk1975
    monicamk1975 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm heading back to Phoenix, AZ after a year and a half in Mexico this time and I'm certain I will put on some water weight possibly actually a little real weight too, from all the sodium filled chinese food and eating out we will do. That said, it doesn't take long to take it off and I will eat sensibly the majority of time I am back home in AZ.

But, I am so looking forward to American food again :) I can't wait. Enjoy your vacation :)
  • Elizabeethan
    Options

Hi Elizabeethan (is that your name really?)
    I know what you mean, I've taken so long to lose the weight I have, I really don't want to be putting too much back on (although I accept that some sort of gain is pretty much inevitable). I agree with most of the posters here, that holidays are to be enjoyed, and I'm certainly going to take that on board. I think trying to be sensible at the same time and getting a good bit of exercise should limit the damage!
    Enjoy your holiday - let me know how you get on :O)

Hi again Sue ... my name is really Elizabeth, but friends nicknamed me Elizabeethan, or just "E". Terms of endearment I guess. :) I've appreciated everyone's feedback here so much! Great group of people. Feel free to 'friend' me. I'm taking your advice and going to enjoy my holiday, and maybe even a slice of pizza!
  • Elizabeethan
    Options
    I'm heading back to Phoenix, AZ after a year and a half in Mexico this time and I'm certain I will put on some water weight possibly actually a little real weight too, from all the sodium filled chinese food and eating out we will do. That said, it doesn't take long to take it off and I will eat sensibly the majority of time I am back home in AZ.

But, I am so looking forward to American food again :) I can't wait. Enjoy your vacation :)

Thanks Monica! Enjoy your time state-side too!
  • wasveganvictoria88
    wasveganvictoria88 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Be honest -say you are loosing weight and you've done well so far and say you are not being rude but small portions are a go go!