Protein question

Options
Utahgirl12
Utahgirl12 Posts: 172 Member
Hi, hope someone can help me out here. i'm new to the site (yesterday) and am loving it so far. My food blogs have proved very interesting reading so far.....and not in a good way.

I'm trying to get my head around the protein question. I don't eat meat, but I do eat eggs and fish. I've just finished reading Bob Harper's The Skinny Rules and he recommends protein at every meal. So, for the last two days i've tried to up my protein.....eggs and Greek yogurt for breakfast and nut butter and a few nuts for snacks and fish for dinner. Only problem is now......i'm over the limit for the protein that MFP has set for me. I worked out tomorrow's figures in advance, and with the eggs and yogurt for breakfast and fish for dinner i'm already 23g protein overr. I don't really want to stop my breakfast, as I love them and it really keeps me feeling full, but how important is that protein level????

Please, someone give me the benefit of their knowledge!

Lucy x

Replies

• autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    MFP calculates low on some macros and goals - Protein is one of the nutrients that it is good to go over....You need it to repair muscles for one thing....It also helps you to feel full....I eat at least 120 or so grams of protein each day...The rule pretty much is to eat at least 1 - 1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass...Some people even say to eat at least 1 gram per pound of body weight...So for me at 163lbs...This would be eating 163 grams of protein...But I like the 1 - 1.5 grams per lean body mass better myself I have just heard both ways to calculate it....So, try to get at least 100 grams in per day if you can...It's good for you!! I hope this helps...

Also, welcome to MFP - You are going to love it and all of the supportive friends that you make on here as well...You can add me if you like!! :)
  • Utahgirl12
    Options
    Whew, thank you sooooo much. That is, I guess, exactly hat I wanted to hear. This way I can carry on having the breakfast I like, plus hummus for lunch and fish for dinner. I was beginning to wonder what on earth I was going to eat if I had to cut something out! I just need to get it right this time, and easing back on he carbs and eating more protein feels right. I don't want to go cutting food groups out, as I think your body needs all the food groups. Strangely enough, after years of dieting I've never tried counting calories. I'm about to sit down to a 700 cal home made pizza now......but it's within my daily calories, and I've exercised. Before I would have not allowed myself the pizza, felt deprived, then eaten chocolate and crisps later. Obviously it won't be a daily meal.....but definitely a much looked forward to weekend treat.

Thanks again,

Lucy x
  • Urzu07
    Urzu07 Posts: 39
    Options
    First things first: Welcome to MFP!

While you don't necessarily have to have protein in every meal, your macronutrients should be determined for you to lose weight, given what I see for your goal of losing 51 LBS. At the end of each day, what matters most is that you get in enough carbs, protein, and fats based upon the macronutrients determined for you, and that you are in a caloric deficit. If you would like to know more on macronutrients, and even how much of each macro you should consume, definitely search online for this topic.
  • xiala
    xiala Posts: 50
    Options
    MFP has my protein set at 48. I'm currently 146 lbs. Is that too low?
  • kookykel
    kookykel Posts: 15
    Options
    ive tried various diets, the main slimmin clubs are very carb heavy, since i tried the low carb diet my body is functioning better and ive hardly felt hungry, and if i do, i can have yummy things that i like, which are usually banned, such as peanut butter, cheese and greek yogurt. I'm doing the rose elliot low carb/adequate protein which is 20-30mg carbs, and 60mg protein, so MFP is telling me i'm naughty but i don't mind. it's actually highlighted how i was totally overdoing the carbs but not getting enough protein and calcium!
  • kookykel
    kookykel Posts: 15
    Options
    some days if i dont get enough protein ive had to supplement with soya isolate, but i dont like it much, recipes for it wpould be great if anyone else uses this?
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    I'm vegan, so I do a lot of research about protein and other nutrients as I want to be sure that I'm getting enough of things. I've been reading lately and talking to people a lot about protein. You actually need to be careful with eating WAY TOO MUCH protein, as this can leach the calcium from your bones (not such a good thing). I imagine it's not as important the older you get since calcium is the most important for children's bone development, but it's something to be aware of. You should be getting as much protein as your lean body mass in kg. So, if you had a lean body mass of 50 kg, then you would need to eat 50g of protein. If you are exercising a lot, then add a good 15% or so on there since your body needs more protein to build muscle.
  • Utahgirl12
    Options
    Thanks everyone. One more question, how do I find out my lean body mass? I'm not sure i have any, lol.
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options
    Thanks everyone. One more question, how do I find out my lean body mass? I'm not sure i have any, lol.

This basically calculates everything :)

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, so I do a lot of research about protein and other nutrients as I want to be sure that I'm getting enough of things. I've been reading lately and talking to people a lot about protein. You actually need to be careful with eating WAY TOO MUCH protein, as this can leach the calcium from your bones (not such a good thing). I imagine it's not as important the older you get since calcium is the most important for children's bone development, but it's something to be aware of. You should be getting as much protein as your lean body mass in kg. So, if you had a lean body mass of 50 kg, then you would need to eat 50g of protein. If you are exercising a lot, then add a good 15% or so on there since your body needs more protein to build muscle.

Firstly welcome to MFP, i'm sure you'll be well supported.

This is really interesting. I was getting injured all the time whilst marathon training and being vegetarian so with many arguments I agreed to re-introduce fish, after no improvement then chicken. Slowly I seem to be recovering but would love to cut out chicken then fish again. How do you ensure you eat sufficient protein?
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options

I fully agree! We take in way to much protein on a regular basis and it can have long term affects on your health. Protein actually is not what builds muscle but rather rather the amino acids that we take in.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I fully agree! We take in way to much protein on a regular basis and it can have long term affects on your health. Protein actually is not what builds muscle but rather rather the amino acids that we take in.

And which macro nutrient is most dense in amino acids?
  • V3ggieL0vinGinger
    Options

Firstly welcome to MFP, i'm sure you'll be well supported.

This is really interesting. I was getting injured all the time whilst marathon training and being vegetarian so with many arguments I agreed to re-introduce fish, after no improvement then chicken. Slowly I seem to be recovering but would love to cut out chicken then fish again. How do you ensure you eat sufficient protein?

I make sure that I get at least one serving each of grains, legumes and nuts everyday. You need to do this to make sure that you get all of the amino acids you need. Grains and legumes together make up all of the essential amino acids, which make a complete protein. Legumes and nuts are also a good pairing.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options

So true. You need to make sure there isn't a medical reason for limiting protein (eg. 33% of diabetics can have kidney issues, etc), etc and maybe ask the Dr/NP/whatever their recommendations? or consult a certified nutritionist or dietitian? Good luck!