Water Weight

Hi,
I am new to seriously dieting, I need some advice. I am trying to average my calorie intake around 1200. I am trying to lose as much weight as possible, MFP suggested 1310 so I am guessing around 1200 is ok. I m exercising 5 days a week, with a walking exercise video. I am burning 200 cal, in exercise a day. My main concern is water. I know the old tale you need 8 8oz glasses of water a day. My question is, Can you drink to much water? I average around 15 8 oz. glasses a day. I am afraid that i will begin to retain water. That is the only option I have as drinking throughout the day without gaining calories. I get sick anytime I consume any products with the sweeteners in them. So that leaves water or calories. Can someone please give me some tips on water weight and can drinking too much water be a bad thing?

Replies

• GAsoulstar
    GAsoulstar Posts: 84 Member
    If and when you get a chance just go to Webmd.com and drinking water. It will give you a good idea on how much water you need to drink daily and it can give you advice about water weight as well. I wish you nothing but the best.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    If you get to the point where you have to 'make yourself' drink it, then you are done =) But if you want it and can drink it easily, then keep going! =) It is possible to drink too much.
  • You can drink too much water, but it would have to be a lot!! You can also not lose weight if you don't eat enough. If you are on a low-cal intake and exercise a lot too, your body will not be fuelling itself and will hang on to every calorie it can. MFP advises you don't net under 1200 cals daily.
    Good luck.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    I average around 24 8oz glasses a day and don't have problems with water retention. It just makes me go to the bathroom more. What you're drinking isn't too much, it's necessary to stay hydrated especially when you're working out because you'll sweat a lot of it out. You can drink too much, I believe the term's something like "water toxicity", but it's usually if you're drinking too much in a short period of time, like an hour or so. If your 15 servings is throughout the day, you're peachy.
  • Thanks everyone for the help. I wish the best to all of you.
  • kmh0617
    kmh0617 Posts: 51 Member
    Actually, drinking plenty of water helps to reduce the amount of water that you retain by diluting the sodium concentration in your bloodstream.
    You can drink too much and disturb your body's electrolyte imbalance, but I imagine that would require a huge amount of water consumtion in a pretty short amount of time. I woun't think that 120 ounces (1 gallon = 128 ounces) would be even close to too much water. Here in dry Denver, I drink around 3-4 liters daily (about 100-140 ounces).