Lap Band

Options
I can't beleive this.......... a year ago i asked my doctors about a lap band......... they didnt even wanna discuse it with me........ so now that i am losing 2 lb's a week ....... they sugest a lap band......... are they stupid........ i am losing just as much wight the way im doing it as i would with a lap band......... I wanted to slap the crap outa him ..... i went in thier thinking they were gonna praise me for losing the weight and instead they sugest a lap band .. wth sheshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Sorry just had to vent this......... Nothing like being proud of yourself and them taking the sunlight outa it.

Replies

• KathyR
    KathyR Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I can't beleive this.......... a year ago i asked my doctors about a lap band......... they didnt even wanna discuse it with me........ so now that i am losing 2 lb's a week ....... they sugest a lap band......... are they stupid........ i am losing just as much wight the way im doing it as i would with a lap band......... I wanted to slap the crap outa him ..... i went in thier thinking they were gonna praise me for losing the weight and instead they sugest a lap band .. wth sheshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Sorry just had to vent this......... Nothing like being proud of yourself and them taking the sunlight outa it.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    It's okay to vent. Congratulations on your weight loss. I'd be mad too if that happened to me. You keep up the good work and don't let anyone discourage you. :flowerforyou:
  • KathyR
    Options
    I just don't get it.......... i thought they would be praising me about the 24 pounds ive lost in the past 13 weeks and instead all i get was wanting me to get a lap band....... I was so proud of myslef too... From what ive read on lap bands.... you only lose up to two pounds a week on it and thats what im doing without it, thanks to the help of MFP.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make any sense to me either why your doctor would recommend a lap band now when you are doing so good losing weight on your own. Did you ask him why he wants you to get the lap band now and not get one a year ago?
  • bethany_burns
    bethany_burns Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    :mad: That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You don't let it get you down! Just keep going and make them eat their words!!! :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Well, it was very obnoxious of your doctor to suggest this. But I think I know why Kathy.

Usually, before you go for a lap band surgury, the doctor makes you go on a weight loss program. They do it for multiple reasons, but basically if you are able to stick with this, you will most likely not bust the band open. Maybe he put a note about the lap band in his report last year, noticed it this year and figured he/she told you to lose weight before you discuss it. That's the only rational explaination I have for it. Other then that he's just an *kitten*!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry:

(disclaimer: really opinionated response coming.)

I have two words for you:

new. doctor.

:flowerforyou:
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Yeah, be proud of your success! You don't need a stupid doctor to tell you how great you're doing! In fact, knowing me, I'd probably change doctors!!! Haha! I don't care much for the "medical professionals" that suggest quick fixes!

It like: "Wake up, Mam. It's time for your sleeping pill". GEEZZZZ!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Quite frankly I agree with vivia. But I am not one for doctors anyway. lol So very opinionated also.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Lap band = $$$ in the doctor's and surgeon's pocket. I'd get a new doctor.
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I think banks is right.

A few of the women in my family have had gastric bypass or lapband. They all require you to lose some weight before they will consider you for the surgery. Partly because they want you to show that you are dedicated to the process. Maybe your doc misinterpreted your weight loss as motivated by a desire to have surgery. Good for your for making healthy changes. I'm sure your doc will have to eat their words when you come back next year with even more weight off! Don't let it get you down. Sometimes doctors can be super insensitive about weight.
  • nikki_b335
    nikki_b335 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    24 lbs that is great! I dont understand why your doctor would say that either? I mean if he had your best interest at heart he would only want to moniter you every six months to see how you are doing with the weight loss! silly silly doctor! YOU GO GIRL!
  • KathyR
    Options
    I was dumbfounded when he even sugested it......... and when he was leaving the room he kinda laughed and said ..... well when you finally get tired of the dieting thing call me and i will give you the name of the doctor to see about the lap band....... shesh.........It does make sense what banks said now that i think about the making sure i deit first.... but its just crazy..... i mean to put myself through something like that........... specially knowing ive had cancer in 2004. back surgery a year and a half ago....... ive had DVT and a pulmonary embolism in 1999............ they trying to kill me or what. This site has helped me more then any diet or personal dietition ever did. I am eating healthy and loseing weight what more could a doctor ask for.