Are HRM worth the money?

Options
I want an accurate way to know how many calories I burn, but HRM seem expensive and I'm not sure if it's worth it - any thoughts?

Replies

• Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    It is to me worth every cent
  • mpmama2re
    mpmama2re Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Definitely worth it
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    very worthwhile...once i got one i realized i hadn't even been getting into the fat burning zone on the elliptical...and it's much more accurate for calories burned, i find the machines overestimate by 100-300 calories and that was undermining my calorie counting...
  • helbohn
    helbohn Posts: 44
    Options
    that's a big YES!
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    My best investment!!! Was only $62 for my Polar FT4 on bodytronics. I was skeptical, but now that I have owned it four months, I can't imagine NOT having one!
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    VERY worth it!! once you get one, you'll wonder how you ever managed without one LOL
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Yes...if you want to track exercise...I also have a body bugg I wear all day so I know what I burn in a day. I love it!!
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I love mine...I didn't go for one of the most expensive ones (mine is a Polar F1) but I can use it when I go swimming and use it for any bit of exercise I do. Bought it off eBay so only paid about £20 for it still sealed in box ;0)
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Yes, it takes into account the intensity of your workout. Of course with all things there is a margin of error but, it evens out in the end.
  • KyliAnnHobson
    KyliAnnHobson Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Yes, very worth it! It helps me a lot while running to gauge my pace! I always wear mine when I work out to get the most accurate calories burned count possible.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Absolutely when I realized it took me a half hour on the treadmill to burn off a cheeseburger it brought things into prospective.

Lol
  • keithgi
    keithgi Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Definitely. Just like how MFP educates on the caloric value of the food eaten, so a HRM educates on calories expended via heart rate and allows you to stay in 'the fat burning zone'
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I bought the polar ft4 in pink for about 90ish and I love it!! It motivates me to go running around my neighborhood when I can't make it to the gym!
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    If you only buy one piece of fitness equipment make it a HRM
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    If I had known exactly how worth it it would be, I would have bought one sooner.
    I have a Polar RS300X. Fabulous.
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    Yes! I love my HRM. Totally changed my outlook on food/calories/exercise. And I'm much more accurate about what I'm actually burning in a workout. I find MFP and the equipment at the gym to be over-generous about calorie burn...usually 80-100 calories more than what I actually burn.

Get a decent one with a chest strap. I love my Polar F6.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've had more than one and they are the most valuable fitness tool I own. I only use it to see how my hard my heart is working during exercise, not as a calorie burn estimator.
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    MountainMamaMarissa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    very worthwhile...once i got one i realized i hadn't even been getting into the fat burning zone on the elliptical...and it's much more accurate for calories burned, i find the machines overestimate by 100-300 calories and that was undermining my calorie counting...

Definitely what he said!
  • furby1
    furby1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Definetely...I bought my Polar 4 of ebay for around £60.....and I'm so glad. The exercise bike I use says i use lots more cals than the HRM does, and a lot of sites when you put in an exercise and time spent etc will often give you a flat rate of cals used, which is normally more than you actually do use, and they don't always take into account your height, weight, age and level of fitness.... for instant most stationary bikes have different levels and at the moment I am using the lowest level, I hope that when I get fitter that the level I use will go higher and therefore I will use more calories.
    Yes even the HRM's are not always accurate, but I believe they are more so than most other equipment and the suggested calories given you by this and other sites.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!! I love my polar ft4! Make sure you get one with a chest strap.