Tell me about Hot Yoga?

Options
2»

Replies

• danschultz01
    danschultz01 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Here is another article on calories burned too!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/115471-calories-burned-during-bikram-yoga/

Love Bikram Yoga!
    -Daniel
  • kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I began practicing Bikram about 3 months ago. It's intense and challenging in a good way! Someone who is very fit will get challenged just as much as a beginner to exercise. My flexibility has increased tremendously. The breathing exercises oxygenate your blood, your spine will work towards proper alignment, and it is the best compliment to a strength training program. Someone can argue all day long about the calorie burn, but who cares?! The other benefits are why you should do it.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My workout time is precious to me as I have two small kids so every minute counts. I would love to just add some type of relaxation yoga but I just don't have the time. If it gets me closer to my weight loss goal then I'm all for it. Regular yoga to me doesn't burn enough calories and since it takes up a whole hour it's not worth it to me. The girl I know that does Bikram hot yoga has lost 30lbs doing it but I just can't believe it because all I know is regular yoga.

But wouldn't the calorie count put people of weight training as well if that were all there was to it?

If you want a form of yoga which really does involve movement, then try Ashtanga vinyasa or power.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

Love Bikram Yoga!
    -Daniel
    Sorry Daniel, but "articles" with claims of 1,000 calorie burns for people at 150lbs doing yoga aren't accurate. What and how did they measure this with? If it's an HRM, then it's definitely not accurate.
    The most accurate ways to check calories burned during exercise is direct calorimetry or indirect calorimetry. Direct calorimetry involves being put in a room that measures your heat output. It's rather intense and expensive so it's rarely used. Indirect calorimetry utilizes the exhaled breath of people, specifically measuring CO2 to infer information about calories burned. This is the most common way to measure calories burned, especially in exercise tests.
    We have this equipment in our Wellness center and people who do static exercise (which is what yoga is basically) have not been shown to burn more than 300 calories per hour even if they were 200lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amandarashell
    Options

Love Bikram Yoga!
    -Daniel
    Sorry Daniel, but "articles" with claims of 1,000 calorie burns for people at 150lbs doing yoga aren't accurate. What and how did they measure this with? If it's an HRM, then it's definitely not accurate.
    The most accurate ways to check calories burned during exercise is direct calorimetry or indirect calorimetry. Direct calorimetry involves being put in a room that measures your heat output. It's rather intense and expensive so it's rarely used. Indirect calorimetry utilizes the exhaled breath of people, specifically measuring CO2 to infer information about calories burned. This is the most common way to measure calories burned, especially in exercise tests.
    We have this equipment in our Wellness center and people who do static exercise (which is what yoga is basically) have not been shown to burn more than 300 calories per hour even if they were 200lbs.

IDEA Fitness member

Okay maybe you aren't burning a million calories, but it's still pretty significant for yoga I believe. Not only that but having to hold your body in those positions requires a lot of strength, you can feel your body getting stronger. That increase in muscle will help you bun calories in the long run right?. Maybe you could put someone in a hot room and go through the 90 minute set with all your equipment and see what it burns. I would personally be interested.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

Love Bikram Yoga!
    -Daniel

IDEA Fitness member

Okay maybe you aren't burning a million calories, but it's still pretty significant for yoga I believe. Not only that but having to hold your body in those positions requires a lot of strength, you can feel your body getting stronger. That increase in muscle will help you bun calories in the long run right?. Maybe you could put someone in a hot room and go through the 90 minute set with all your equipment and see what it burns. I would personally be interested.
    Exercising in a hot room would release water and doesn't have much effect on overall calorie burn. You don't build muscle on calorie deficit and also if you don't overload your muscle through "pumping" exercises which isn't what yoga is. You do build strength and coordination, but that doesn't relate as much when you are calculating caloric burn.
    You burn calories doing any exercise, so that's good. But the exaggerated claims of 1000's calories burned in over an hour of yoga is inaccurate.

IDEA Fitness member
  • araxiedyck
    araxiedyck Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My workout time is precious to me as I have two small kids so every minute counts. I would love to just add some type of relaxation yoga but I just don't have the time. If it gets me closer to my weight loss goal then I'm all for it. Regular yoga to me doesn't burn enough calories and since it takes up a whole hour it's not worth it to me. The girl I know that does Bikram hot yoga has lost 30lbs doing it but I just can't believe it because all I know is regular yoga.

Do you get light-headed from the heat? I'm terrified of feeling sick or throwing up in the studio!!!

I do hot yoga and LOVE IT!!! I have lost inches and toned. Lately though with 2 kids and working full time it is hard to get it in (only 1-2 a week) I bought Jillian Micheal's yoga meltdown. It is defintiely a yoga cardio that can make you sweat at home. Not sure of what kind of calories you would burn, but I did the 2 back to back for 60 minutes and I was sweating