yoga

Options
i have never tried it & i don't know a great deal about it!

are any of you guys fans? i know it's meant to improve flexibility but what are its other benefits? is it something that's worth me checking out?

thanks in advance!

Replies

• leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    haha i guess it's just not fashionable anymore!
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    I am enjoying it.
    I don't think it has anything to do with fashion. I think it is widely used.
    I know my yoga classes are packed!
    Xandi
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Yoga is wonderful! It stretches out muscles you didn't even know existed. :wink:

It's not gonna be a huge calorie burner, but it does burn some. It makes you LOOK better, elongating your muscles so you look leaner. It feels good because you are releasing tension that's been stored in your body. You're using the weight of your own body to stretch it out. You will get stronger and more flexible.

I say: take a class and try it!

But as with any class, make sure you find a teacher that you like and enjoy learning from--if you're not getting any help from them find someone else.

Good luck!

:drinker:
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do an hour of yoga every day. Although I don't think it's a great calorie burner. I do videos at home. I am not a class person. I do the yoga more for the mental benefits. It has been great for my mood.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    I started doing it once a week a little over a month ago. I really enjoy it. If I did it more often I am sure I would have seen a bigger improvement in my flexibility. For me, the biggest benefit has just been the relaxation aspect. It really helps to clear my mind and put me in a more positive state of mind.
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I just did a beginner video on youtube & enjoyed it.
  • ChanniVincent
    Options
    I love it, I do it every night :) It helps improve flexebility & weight loss. It also works on your brain too, doing yoga is actually known to help your mind make better decisions when deciding foods to eat, so you'll likely choose the healthier one.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    There are SEVERAL different kinds. I won't pretend to know the difference between them all. I've done bikram now and thats my go to favorite. "hot yoga" is the same thing but its a bit more flexible in that they don't have to follow the Bikram routine EXACTLY. I've done vinyasa flow and high energy and just did aerial yoga yesterday. I don't personally believe that most people lose tons of weight by just doing yoga, but its fantastic to add into your fitness routine to help stretch those achy muscles, improve your core and posture. I love it and feel that I MUST do bikram/hot yoga a couple times a week to help stretch out my muscles from running.
  • chazsucks
    chazsucks Posts: 170
    Options
    What videos do you do, if you don't mind me asking? x
  • Sweetie_Pie92
    Sweetie_Pie92 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I've been doing yoga for a couple years now and I love it. I've always been flexible, but I find it to be very calming and de-stressing. It helps me cope with the stress of life and gives me more energy and patience.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I have an entry on aerial yoga and bikram/hot yoga on my blog if you are interested in more details on either of those.

http://www.fitfoodandfuninthesun.com/2012/06/aerial-yoga-at-allure-dance-studio.html

http://www.fitfoodandfuninthesun.com/2012/06/its-getting-hot-in-here.html
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I didn't like plain ol' yoga.... but my gym offers pitaiyo (one of the creators works at my gym) and I LOOVE that!! It's a blend of tai chi, yoga, & pilates. here's a couple articles on it -

http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2007/082007/08122007/299403/index_html -- article from '07

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/healthyliving/2012/06/08/pitaiyo-instructor-works-to-empower-kids/ -- and another article from today!
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    OP try Brian Kest Power Yoga, there are three routines on the one disc. It is chock full of excellent instruction & very easy to adapt if you are not experienced.

Russ
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Love it!

Be aware that there are many different styles and ways of doing yoga. Some focusses more on flexibility, some on balance, some on relaxation, some on strength and position... or different combinations and emphasizes. Some yoga is a serious workout that will really get you sweating and may leave you with sore muscles. Some yoga is much gentler and can be done by someone with serious health issues. Keeping that in mind, check on the focus of the place(s) you consider going to in order to learn yoga. The yoga studio where I go will recommend certain classes and instructors based on your goals. It will also allow you to attend as many classes as you want for free your first week, so you can try out the instructors and classes to learn which you prefer. Some places also have classes for specific goals (relaxation, weight loss, smoking cessation, etc.).

I find that it not only relaxes me, but it leaves me more energized to incorporate more movement into the rest of my day (or the next day). Also, it's providing me with some non-scale victory (NSV), I notice how it's becoming easier to balance and to move in certain ways as a combination of both the exercise and the weight loss.

Edit: Youtube and DVDs are also useful and provide a great way to do more at home. Your local library may also have some DVDs you can borrow. But it is great to find an instructor who can help you with anything you're doing incorrectly. A good instructor can also teach you ways to adjust the basic movements to accommodate your strengths or weaknesses. But if you can't find a good instructor, can't afford to take as many classes as you'd like, or just want something you can do from home, there are many recorded materials.
  • sweetaddict15
    sweetaddict15 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do yoga almost everyday(sometimes I slack off ). I really like it because it relaxes me and awesome work. I would take a few classes before doing it on your own because some of the moves can be difficult. My problem with it is its more of stretch then a workout in some cases. If your looking for an intense workout I would try hot yoga classes. These are an intense workout. Overall I think its a great way to get flexible and gain strength but I haven't found I have lost much weight doing it.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    First of all, it will not elongate your muscles. Yoga is marketed as something that makes your muscles "long and lean", but honestly, it's impossible make your muscles longer once you've stopped growing. (Unless there's some freaky surgical technique I've not heard of.)

What it is good for is improving strength, flexibility and balance. I also find it great for relaxation and stress-relief. It can be a meditative experience. The yoga I do doesn't burn many calories, but there are some types that are a bit more of a cardio workout.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
  • Thankilates
    Thankilates Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I love yoga and yes, it's fantastic! The trick is that you have to find a yoga that works for you! I did Bikram yoga every day for a year and while it was a good "practice," and taught me discipline, it was not good for my body. I mean it was good for weight loss and flexibility, but I had other health complications with it.

I am a big fan of faster Vinyasa Flow yoga, because I like more intense and higher calorie yoga workouts. Don't get me wrong, I also do candlelight yoga in the evenings which is more for relaxing, meditation and light stretches! :)

I teach yoga, I teach vinlates- which is a a combo of vinyasa yoga and pilates and well- there are numerous yoga masters, dvds, free vides on youtube or yoga journal that will help you find what is best for you...

One thing for sure though, it will help your other workouts! :) Even if you only do it as a stretch once a week! :D
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    It's not gonna be a huge calorie burner, but it does burn some.

This depends entirely on the kind of yoga class you take.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    First of all, it will not elongate your muscles. Yoga is marketed as something that makes your muscles "long and lean", but honestly, it's impossible make your muscles longer once you've stopped growing. (Unless there's some freaky surgical technique I've not heard of.)

Yup, any effects that you get which appear like lengthening are just improvements in posture. Length itself is determined by bone length.

ETA: I'm and Ashtanga addict btw.