Friends and Tall Ladies!

Options
Hi all!

I signed up on mfp in January. I did pretty well with the upkeep of my food and exercice journal for a couple months. However my log-in's diminished by March. This May I have now logged in for 15 days straight and have started to read some message boards which seem helpful.

Friends would be helpful too! I'm looking for friends who have similar weight loss goals and who are of a similar height. You can check my profile for this info.

Also:

1. What does BUMP mean?
2. How do I add a picture to a "reply" in a topic

Thanks!

Replies

• andreaisme
    andreaisme Posts: 43
    Options
    P.S. Being tall is not a requirement for being my friend :happy: -
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    "Bump" is a placeholder response some people use to save something for later. If you reply to a post, MFP will store the post under "My Topics." You could use anything.
  • andreaisme
    Options
    Thanks copine!
  • bellydancefae
    Options
    I am also tall. Currently I am aiming to be 175, which is the high end of "healthy". However, I would caution other tall ladies about following the standard BMI charts, as they tend to be skewed for those of us who are outside of the average height range, either short or tall. For instance, when I was 155, which is about dead center of the "healthy" BMI weight range for 5'11, I looked incredibly skinny still and wore pant size 5/6. Everyone thought I was still too thin, including my doctor who discouraged me from donating blood and taking certain medications until I put on at least 10 more pounds. At 175, which is where I'm aiming for now, I actually had some muscle and healthy curves on me. BMI-based healthy weight ranges do not take into account bone mass, overall build, muscle composition, etc.
    I say, if you were once thinner, go with where your "happy" weight was... where you felt your strongest/best/healthiest, and forget those standards. At most, only use those standards as a guideline and then adjust for your own situation. Afterall, if you are outside of the standard height, you are already non-standard ;)
    And, by the way, I'd love to be friends! It's hard to find other gals our height!
  • andreaisme
    Options
    Yeah I hear you every body is really different. I felt and looked my best at around 150 and I was still not to thin for my body type. When I was early twenties I was around 135 - 138 I had to gain weight because it wasn't healthy for me.

Clothing size is a funny thing too. Like you when i was "too thin" i wore size 6 pants. When I was at 150 (much healthier and still slim) when I would shop for clothes sales always thought I should try on smaller then 8 or 10 just by looking at me.... when those where the right size. I'm sure you know how it is. What stores best fit you tall frame? i have 34" inseam for my pants.
  • bellydancefae
    Options
    Mostly now I shop for clothes at Target, since their tall pants are *almost* long enough. I have a hard time because my actual inseam is 37", and most tall sizes are 34" and tall shops usually stop at 36". I can get away with 36" inseams most the time. Every now and then I'll buy pants/jeans from Alloy.com, since they go up to 37". The only problem with Alloy is that they are definitely Junior fit, so it's hard to get them to fit me now that I'm curvier. I also have issues with pants because although I'm short waisted, I have a long hip/pelvis. Thus, low-rise pants tend to hit me in a awkward position where the fat on my hip sticks out even if the waistband is loose, and high-rise pants hit my ribs! So, mid-rise all the way!

I tried clothing from Long Elegant Legs, and while I liked them they are kind of hit-or-miss as far as quality. I've been lusting over suits, pants, and tops from Long Tall Sally, so once I have some money shored up and have reached my goal weight, I'm going on a shopping spree!

I almost always wear shirt sleeves at 3/4 or shorter, because even when I find long enough sleeves they end up too short. So, I'll by regular size long-sleeve shirts and roll or cuff them up to 3/4. One trick I've found for getting tops long enough is to shop the maternity section of Target. I've gotten several tops from their clearance section for $5-10 that have banded bottoms or are just longer in general (feasibly to cover a baby-bump, but works for longer-than-average torsos, also!).
  • KISSmom4
    KISSmom4 Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi! I am also a tall girl- 5'11". I am aiming for 180 as my goal weight. Not only am I tall, but I am also fairly big built, so if I could get to 180, I think I will be happy with that- anything lower than that is a bonus, I guess.

Most of my jeans and tees come from GAP these days. While I swore I would never shop GAP, I love the fit and the length. I have a pair of jeans that I actually have to roll up unless I wear them with heels. And the long-sleeve tees are amazing!

If you want, feel free to friend me. I'm new here and don't have many friends. :)
  • keconrad6485
    keconrad6485 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late to this topic but have been checking out the message boards a bit today and I fit pretty well into this topic. I'm 5'9" and currently 190 (down from 247, wahoo!). I have a larger build and an inverted triangle body shape, and my original goal was to be in the lower middle of the "healthy" BMI range at 140. From what I saw here though, maybe that is too low a goal.

What I mainly wanted to add was some thoughts on where to get some good "tall" pants - Gap and Target have some good options, but mainly I shop at New York and Company and Victoria's Secret (VS often offers several inseam choices, which is fantastic). Good luck ladies! Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10, currently 194. According to BMI I am 20lbs overweight, though I am a size 12 and can wear some 10s. When I was in high school I weighed 125 and looked like the starving children on those commercials. My normal weight was 145-155 and I wore a size 4 or 6. I am trying to get back there. Since this weight gain has been recent, I never really bought much clothing in the bigger size. I have 3 pair of pants and 1 pair of jeans that I can fit, and I have been alternating them with leggings of course until I can get this weight off and get back into the my clothes.

As for tall pants, I have been buying mine from the Victoria's Secret catalogue since high school. Also Zaras has very long pants, but its a small cut, so if you are hippy it won't work.
  • vivirob
    vivirob Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and am currently 156 pounds. Pretty happy with that, still got a bit of fat around my tummy, but after 2 kids, who hasn't and am a UK size 12 (us 8) . think it depends on shape, I have very broad shoulders so struggle to get much lower than that without looking ill. want to just lose a few more pounds for holiday. In the UK, most high street shops do a tall range, although they don't seem to have them in store as much as they did a few years ago. It isn't just the trousers that are they problem, but I particularly struggle with arm length. I hate stuff riding up past my wrists.