Any remedies for heartburn?

Options
I have always had severe heartburn. It comes with alcohol, orange juice, spicy food, non-spicy food, bread, potatoes, meat, milk, soda, etc.....so, EVERYTHING. I go through tums like candy with no relief.....anyone have something that helps them?

I have not been in to the doc yet, because I've been uninsured up until now. Do they have prescription GERD medications??

Replies

• kmh0617
    kmh0617 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    There are several cheap prescriotion and non-prescription choices. Save yourself money and buy GENERIC, the maker has prove to FDA that it's the exact same chemical.
    Over the Counter (I'd start with one of these milder medications):
    Famotidine (generic Pepcid)
    Ranitidine (ganeric Zantac)
    Cimetidine (generic Tagamet)

Stronger over the counter meds:
    Omeprazole (generic Prilosec)
    Lansoprazole (generic Prevacid)

If your pharmacy co-pay is less than the price of the OTC medciations, check in to Pantoprazole (generic Protonix) (Same category ar Prilosec or Prevacid).

Also, if you use birth control, the Depo shot, or Mirena IUD, those could be causing heartburn. I had awful heartburn for years. I did scopes, medications, EVERYTHING. I asked one of the pharmacists I work with, and they said it could be the Mirena. Mirena (and many contraceptives) have progesterone-based homeones in them. Progesterone prevents the entire closure of your esophogeal sphincter (the muscle that keeps stomach acid in your stomach and prevents it from washing up into the esophagus).

Once I got the Mirena out, my heartburn was greatly lessened.

Then when I lost 30 pounds, the heartburn decreased to nearly nothing.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    GasX. Great stuff. You sound like you have a reflux issue. There are other over-the-counterse that were recommended for my son (who has this problem) too. Virtually all work pretty well. Surprisingly, what worked better for my son than anything - including the prescriptions - was pepto bismol and eating SMALL AMOUNTS OF FOOD. He is a master of eating until he feels half full and stopping, knowing he'll feel full in half an hour.

Good luck.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just recently started having terrible reflux issues. Likely from a medication I'm taking. Doc told me to take prilosec twice a day for a four weeks (ETA: then he wants me to come off of it and see how I do). He said if I didn't see improvement in a week to come back. Also, I am supposed to have a few hours between the time I eat a meal and exercising and I shouldn't eat within a couple hours of going to bed. I am supposed to limit acidic foods.

I do suggest seeing a doctor as soon as possible. If you've had it for a while, there are complications that can arise, like damage to the esophagus. You may also have a hiatal hernia or other condition that contributes to the gerd.
  • MalissaDC
    MalissaDC Posts: 123
    Options
    My son has acid reflux he takes generic Zantac but to help him heal, he also takes--
    papaya enzyme (chewable)
    acidophilus
    HCL with Pepcin

It has helped him greatly! He had it like you it sounds--all the time!
  • thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    A spoonful of Apple Cider Vinegar. It may sound silly because it is acidic but it works. Tums relieves your heartburn by making your stomach stop producing acid for a small amount of time thus bringing temporary relief. Then you get more heartburn over time because you are not producing enough stomach acid to adequately digest the foods you eat.

Seriously, try it. If you can't stomach the liquid itself they sell apple cider vinegar tablets in the supplements section of just about any store.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I use famotidine. It's in Pepcid AC and in generic pill form. I don't get heartburn if I'm less than 12 lbs. or so overweight.

There are lifestyle changes you can make, too. Google it. Don't eat big meals, don't have carbonation, eat low fat, don't eat late at night, don't eat spicy, etc.
  • Lauraaaaa88
    Options
    mints help if you haven't got anything else!
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You pretty much have to change what you're eating and drinking at least to let your upper stomach and esophagus recover.

If it doesn't go away from changing your diet, it could be a symptom of some more serious conditions (I don't want to scare you, this is probably unlikely), but because of that, your doctor will want to ensure the acid-reflux is related to your diet and not something else.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Eating "clean" will definitely help. Unfortunately obesity causes GERD, so as you lose weight I'll bet your symptoms will improve and might even go away. I hope you'll be able to see a doctor soon just to rule out other causes.

Good luck!
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My husband and I cured our acid-reflux/heartburn forever by switching to a whole foods plant-based diet. Over time, acid reflux can lead to some serious medical issues, even esophageal cancer.

Eliminating acid reflux was just the tip of the iceberg. We have gotten off ALL our medications with this lifestyle change and the food has never been more satisfying.
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    One of the best remedies and quite healthy is a small handful of raw almonds (8 - 10). I found this somewhere online and tried it. It does work, and they are very healthy, with good fats. Quite caloric, so figure it in your daily intake. :)
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My dad swears by soda water, and it's calorie free
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I get perfect relief from ranitidine (generic for Zantac). I get it dirt cheap from Costco (their store brand Kirkland Signature). I take it around mid-late afternoon and get no symptoms all evening, or night. I used to have it every single night. It's important to treat chronic acid reflex. I lost an uncle to esophageal cancer last year (at 59).
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My dad swears by soda water, and it's calorie free

Calorie free, but unnecessary sodium. My aunt, who is an R.N. was appalled when she learned my father used this daily (years ago). She said it would never be recommended by a medical professional.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    A spoonful of Apple Cider Vinegar. It may sound silly because it is acidic but it works. Tums relieves your heartburn by making your stomach stop producing acid for a small amount of time thus bringing temporary relief. Then you get more heartburn over time because you are not producing enough stomach acid to adequately digest the foods you eat.

This. Try it once, at least, and if it helps, then lay off the Tums for good. If it doesn't help, you have a different problem. It did help me, and after a few doses I stopped getting heartburn and had no further need for either remedy.
  • arizonagog
    arizonagog Posts: 22
    Options
    You should definitely talk to your doctor about it now that you are insured because constant heart burn can actually be dangerous to your body. For me, milk always helps with heartburn; even 1% or skim. If things like that aren't working there's probably a deeper issue.
  • DeterminedRealist
    DeterminedRealist Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I understand uninsured and I understand heartburn. I took Prilosec OTC for over 5 years and have been able to drop it by making a few changes to my diet.

1) Avoid foods that you KNOW trigger you. For me chocolate and tomato are the worst triggers wih sugar and dairy running close behind. I have given them the heave-ho.

2) I went vegan and have been amazed at the difference in my digestion. There are many ways to lean into this so please ask me if you want more information.

Another site that helped me greatly was to try the Ayurvedic solution. Follow this link to the short FREE test www.whatsyourdoshababy.com to learn your body type (dosha) and then do a little research to find out what it takes to put your digestion back into balance by eating foods that will nurture your body type. Sounds strange but it has really helped me.
  • Guitarjon
    Guitarjon Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I used to have a problem with heartburn.

I went to this seminar about health, weightloss and well being etc and they explained how my body processes foods etc. When you have too much acid build up in your lymphatic system it can sometimes result in heart burn.

They said to try and eat food with a lesser acidic properties and more neutral and alkaline foods such as seaweed, cabbage etc. Drink loads of water to bring the acidity down.

Obviously you will know what foods trigger it for me it was orange juice, tomatoes, chocolate. I can now happily eat all of these in moderation as long as I am predominantly eating clean fresh food and things with less sodium/toxins in. I also drink a vast amount of water a day too which helps.