how many men on here?

Options
i feel like i am the only man on this website. can i here from my male friends on here? i am not having much luck in the exersice department. just dont have the time, if i cant run,jog ,or walk than what should i do? cause everyone know, eating right is only half the battle. some one pleassssse help. i work sitting down, and just walk around occasionally. i do calf raises when i can and do an average of 30 squats a day but i cant do anything for my problem area(belly). i drink over a gallon of water a day and piss 30 times a day,lol, i am used to that now. but will it ever slow down to about at least 15 times? i have also had my tailbone operated on twice, piliniodal cysts, so doing exersices on my back or on my butt is almost impossible to do. once again, all the help would be great..................................................................chris

Replies

• arjanbok
    arjanbok Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just joined a couple of weeks ago and actually starting working on a weight loss regimen yesterday. Reading through the messages it sure seems like the majority are women.
    I try to hit the elliptical 5 times a week but with my job going nuts I don't always make it. However it seems that there is always time for whatever you do make a priority.. Arjan
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    If you can't run, walk, or jog, it is still possible for you to get exercise in. Have you tried working with dumbbells or resistance bands?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    So why don't you have time to exercise?

I run my own business, have 2 kids playing competitive soccer etc and I find time to run (at 5AM) 4 days per week and do strength 2 or 3 times a week (sometimes after 10pm), play soccer etc. If it's a priority you can find the time.

Why are you drinking a gallon of water a day? That's excessive and may actually pose a problem in terms of electrolytes. Unless you're exercising heavily you don't need more than 2 litres (or quarts) of liquids per day (& that includes tea, coffee, juice, water in fruits & vegetables etc)

For core have you tried planks? For upper body push ups & chin ups?

There's lots you probably could be doing, you just need to be committed and creative.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    <~~~man.

There's a great workout listed on my profile. I used it to drop 40lbs in 3mos.
  • BostonMatt
    BostonMatt Posts: 258
    Options
    What's a typical day look like? Let's see if we can find you some time.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I think there's quite a few guys on here. We just don't post as much as the women do. I lost 30 lbs after joining this site by tracking the calories and making sure I never ate more than I burned. I also started a running program and usually find the time to run at least six days a week. It's gotten me to around 10% bodyfat.

You can lose the weight without exercise. You just won't be able to eat very much. When you said you can't run or walk is that a physical limitation or time? If it's time you just have to make the time and do it either real early in the morning or after work.

I also agree that you're drinking too much water right now. The only time I drink that much is in the summer on days I ran further than 10 miles. Even then, I don't have to go to the bathroom very often because it all comes out as sweat.
  • Sirxx99
    Sirxx99 Posts: 43
    Options
    There is always somewhere at sometime during the day to exercise. Even if you have to make time. Unless of course you get up shower go to work and come home got to bed. There is time it just needs to be managed better. Do you have time to watch TV? Exercise is a choice you just have to want to do it.

My ex wife worked from home and said she didnt have time to workout as her *kitten* was sittin on the couch eating a bag of chips.
  • Bagman12002
    Bagman12002 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hmm well you got the excuse part down. Now grab your big boy pants and look at your schedule and find the time. I have 3 kids in there varius sports and activates, wife and her list of stuff plus I work, yet I find time to hit gym 5days a week been doing it for the last 6 months and lost 50 plus pounds. If you want to do it you can find the time.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    You gotta make time for working out. It only takes 10-20 minutes per day 5x a week to make a decent workout routine. It shard in the beginning because you're basically changing your norm but I can assure you it changes once you get used to it and will look forward to it :)

It doesn't take much to do some workout at home after you wake up or before hitting the bed at night. Some situps, squats, lunges, pushups and few others would do great to start. When at work, you can do some "mini-crunches" on your seat alot or "mini-pushups" against a counter or something. Every bit counts. You can walk around at work too. 2-3 miles of walking should be normal if you try to squeeze in every chance you get to walk at work.

Hope this helps. Good luck :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    What's a typical day look like? Let's see if we can find you some time.

This. Put up your typical work day and weekends.

Like somebody else said, theres a lot of guys here but we typically don't post as much as the women on the forums do and ladies do outnumber us on MFP. Which is also why you would see alot of man bashing on the forums but just try to ignore it and focus on your workouts and food logging :)
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Somewhere there is someone that is much busier than you that is working out.

Basically you have to find the time to exercise.

There is some video out there where they said all you have to do is limit your sitting and sleeping to 23 and 1/2 hours a day and you will be good to go.
  • kobashi
    kobashi Posts: 164
    Options
    Yeah.. There are quite a few males on here. Go read the success stories. Very awesome to read.
  • firedad
    firedad Posts: 59
    Options
    I downloaded the app in 2010, but started taking it seriously again two months ago. If you need some testosterone flavored motivation feel free to add me.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You have the time. You just need to find it.

Schedule a twenty minute walk five days a week.

Start with that and build up some more.

I work in an office and I lost fifty pounds in four months.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I take two classes at night each semester, have a full time job, and two kids under three. There is precious little time in my day for which I've not accounted.

I run at night after the kids are in bed or swim in the morning before work.

Not really a big deal.
  • MrNoisy
    MrNoisy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you are having problems with time, why not try a ready made program from home? I'm doing P90X and it's doing wonders for me. I'm not saying you have to do that one, but there are tons of programs that don't take very long and you can do in your living room for thirty minutes to an hour.

To me it just seems like you're unsure what to do, so having a home program that is already structured for you might be what you need. It also doesn't force you out to the gym.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    not here...

but you could easily do body weight exercises. more knowledge will be needed, before I can say anything else
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    If you have the money - get a FItBit - it helps you find more steps in the day. It is hard if you don't have much free time. I work out of my house for a number of different companies and I have to juggle my time. You have to push the workouts in when you can

I'm a zombie in the morning and cant exercise before 11am

Today::: Checked my emails at 9am, answered some phone calls for clients #1
    10am got an urgent emails from client #2 that they need me online to do fill in work for someone that had lost internet - that means my whole schedule for the day has to change

worked till 3pm

ran up and down stairs 14 times so far

moved around in the kitchen as much as I could getting dinner ready for my family, and having the FitBit count steps
    did some more phone call for client#1
    Went outside and walked for an hour at 3.4mph- showered and stretched
    Continued making dinner
    5pm had a minimal lunch [since dinner will be high callories], tea and read a book on walking,
    Did some work for cleint #3 and uploaded the data from my GPS for my walk to see how my pace and heartbeat loooked

6pm started my regular scheduled work for client#2

8pm ate dinner while working

Right now I'm up to 7300 steps (including walking non-stop for 3 miles), 20 stair climbs - but I will sitting still for 5 hours

at 11pm I stop working and have an hour to get my steps past 8000 by walking around the house and cleaning up (would be nice to get 10K but no), and do some minimal weight workouts,

2 months ago, I was walking 15 minutes a day if I was lucky
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with the others. The time is always there *if* you're willing to take it.

I am not a morning person, so I will not be one of the "get up at the *kitten* crack of dawn to get your workout in" kind of guys (although I do enjoy my weekend LSD as the sun comes up). Typically I'm at work by 7:30, my work day is usually 10 hours+, pick up the kids at daycare then I cook dinner when I get home and help get the kids in bed. Four of the five nights I work out I run. And it doesn't happen until after all that, typically not starting until after 8:30 PM, finishing around 9:30 on most nights. Thankfully my wife is willing to put up with this and sticks around the house while I'm pounding pavement.

One of my friends complained about time to work out, too. Until he realized he was hitting the snooze bar a couple times each morning. He claims he still hits it, but in those 8-10 minutes per push, instead of crawling back into bed, he AMRAPS sets of push-ups, sit-ups and squats. It seems to have worked for him.
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    OP I was just like you when I started, its not hard to find an hour a day, even if you have to cut out things like TV, some sleep etc. to get it done. Trust me its well worth it!!