Can't exercise...need to shift 20lbs+

Options
Hey all,

I am 41, 5'4", 179.2lbs and disabled...

Arthritis, ME, fibromyalgia and other crappy auto immune issues pretty much prevent me from doing anything physical, and the weight really hurts my knees and joints, so desperately need to shift it.

Has anyone got any ideas? Water therapy is ok, that is when I can get there, changed and in the pool without feeling stupid and actively needing help to do it! Is there anything low impact, small movements, light weight that I could try at home...or just someone in a similar position with whom I can share motivation and chats with?

Literally started late last week, and already finding the calorie counting hard! I'm either just under, or massively over lol!

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome :))

Replies

• toxicpanda2011
    Options
    I worked with a woman that had a lot of the same problems that you had and I know she was trying for the longest time to lose some weight. on her "good days" she kept herself moving and everyday she always watched what she ate. eat 4 or 5 small meals a day that will keep you fuller longer. She actually has lost about 15 pounds so I know you can do it!
    I wish you all the luck!
  • shimila1101
    shimila1101 Posts: 119
    Options
    Have you tried yoga or tai chi? My mom has bad arthritis in her knee and a bad back so high impact exercises are a big no for her. She found that yoga and tai chi are good for her.

Hope it helps, sorry if it doesn't.

Good Luck!
  • laurenbona
    laurenbona Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying to find a gym or fitness center with a large heated pool or hot tub. My mother recently had both knees replaced and simply walking in water (especially warm water) will allow you to get exercise without stress on your joints.

Exercise is an excellent aid to the pain of arthritis and actually helps it significantly.

As far as fibromyalgia, I have a very close family friend who found that a Chinese Medicine routine (mainly taking certain herbs and drinking specific teas) helped her more than any traditional medications have. She was bed ridden for the most part of 5 years before she found help in Chinese Medicine, so I definitely think it is worth checking into.

You will need to begin slowly and work your way into exercising (i.e. Day 1-3 do 10 min of walking in the pool, Day 4-6 12 min of walking in the pool, etc.). Begin and end your workouts with light stretching and continue to build up. Once you can walk in the pool for 30 min, I would suggest trying a yoga class, it helps with relaxation and fitness and often helps with auto immune issues.

If you are seriously concerned about it, you could always speak with your doctor about what they suggest or about working with a physical therapist.

I hope this has helped!
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Being physically unable to exercise...does this mean lower body, ie...walking, running (leg work)?....just wondering...may some ideas on upper body only cardio exercises.

While you're looking to lose weight, I would honestly suggest reading "Eat, Stop, Eat". And see if it fits your lifestyle

http://eatstopeat.com/
  • MotivatedMom2012
    Options
    Hi Dawn,
    I understand where you are coming from. I have rheumatoid arthritis. So exercising does cause some pain, however, if you keep at it, keep moving, even just a little, short slow walks 20 minutes....it does add up. It's not about exercising like a crazy person...it's about eating healthy and eating the right amount of calories your body needs. Also be sure not to eat too few calories. For the past 5 years I've been eating very little and wondering why I wasn't losing weight - I wasn't eating ENOUGH. My poor body was in starvation mode! Feel free to add me as a friend or send a message. The support you'll get on here is motivating and seeing other people achieve their daily goals is inspiring.

As for immune system and fibro - I would suggest to look around for a GOOD multivitamin. Most of the vitamins on the market today crystallize during digestion and do not absorb into your body. So be sure to ask what the absorption rate is and also some evidence to back that up. There is no point to take Centrum, One a Day because they have less than 10% absorption.

Also, have you looked into natural supplements to help with fibro? I know of many that do work, I have a few friends who have fibro and have experienced a huge improvement in their symptoms. One of the best supplements you can take that helps MANY ailments is grape seed extract. It's good for fibro, joint pain, heart health and many other health issues.

You can do it!!! Just start small and keep at it :)
  • DawnMcUK
    DawnMcUK Posts: 53
    Options
    Hey,
    Thanks for the advice, and yes, I too have been eating quite poorly and obviously not enough. It's hard to get your head around when people can see you are physically overweight, but tell them you hardly eat anything...you can see in their faces that they think you are lying and probably stuff your face with cream cakes every night!,

I have been taking vitamins, but never thought to look at absorption rates? I definitely will now, and must find the motivation and energy to try water therapy as suggested by Laurenbona. I know it will be a long journey, and definitely need support to keep going, as I know I will give up easily.

Thanks again, and yes, I would like to add you as a friend :)
  • Bookchick887
    Bookchick887 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm sure sorry to hear about your physical problems, I've got fibro too and nerve pain and other stuff. I walk when I can but this is a note just to let you know I've lost 14 lbs from low cal alone. MFP and fit2fat both say for me to be at 1200 cals and I started at the end of March so it hasn't taken forever. But I spend my calories wisely with fruits, veggies, protein and low fat & carbs. I do 100 cals for snack.
    Anyway, you can friend me if you want and I will encourage you in your journey.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That's a tough situation to be in. I think the first thing is going to be to set yourself up with a moderate calorie deficit (don't go too agressive) and log everything you eat. After a month, see how your body, energy level and measurements look and you can decide if you need to go up or down in calories.

I have a friend who has fibromyalgia, though not the other issues and she uses an exercise bike at home when she feels OK - I don't know if this would work for you though, but if you have access to a physiotherapist or other health professional, they might be able to make suggestions for gentle at-home exercises that will help and not harm you.

The pool workout sounds great - don't let "how you think you look" stop you going when you are feeling up to it - I've decided that while we are all really self concious, most other people are way too self-absorbed to worry about anyone but themself!
  • DawnMcUK
    Options
    But I spend my calories wisely with fruits, veggies, protein and low fat & carbs. I do 100 cals for snack.

I think you are spot on there, I tend to be under or over my 1200 calories as I am eating something, then logging it afterwards, and have a tendency towards sweet things (not chocolate/crisps/sweets), like mousse or sweet apple, so have exceeded my sugar intake every day.

Not even a week in yet though, so plenty of adjustment time I guess.
  • Melonhead
    Melonhead Posts: 168
    Options
    Have you tried a light exercise band? You can do a number of exercises from a seated position. What does your doctor or physical therapist recommend?
  • Melonhead
    Melonhead Posts: 168
    Options
    That's a tough situation to be in. I think the first thing is going to be to set yourself up with a moderate calorie deficit (don't go too agressive) and log everything you eat. After a month, see how your body, energy level and measurements look and you can decide if you need to go up or down in calories.

I have a friend who has fibromyalgia, though not the other issues and she uses an exercise bike at home when she feels OK - I don't know if this would work for you though, but if you have access to a physiotherapist or other health professional, they might be able to make suggestions for gentle at-home exercises that will help and not harm you.

The pool workout sounds great - don't let "how you think you look" stop you going when you are feeling up to it - I've decided that while we are all really self concious, most other people are way too self-absorbed to worry about anyone but themself!
    I guess I'm weird, because i have nothing but admiration for people who feel embarrassed but are still trying. Screw everybody else, you're always ahead of the person sitting on the couch!
  • tipadoo
    tipadoo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I have multiple sclerosis (not disabled) but energy levels are definitely affected. I started this on February 19th this year and have lost 8 pounds so far. I started just taking 10 minute walks around the block for about 6 weeks and then slowly increased. I can now walk for 25 minutes if it is not too hot outside. You can do it!! Baby steps.
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Its all diet. If you cant exercise, control your caloric intake carefully and you will still lose weight. All cardio does from a weight loss perspective is burns calories. You can either exercise calories off or eat less.

I have lost over 20lbs without even doing cardio.
  • DawnMcUK
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it's great to know that people understand and don't instantly say "you can't do it without exercise" or "you're making excuses and being lazy"...both of which have been said to me previously.

I will keep you updated x