Night Shift Work- When to eat

Options
just curious if anyone else is trying to lose weight while working a night shift job.

right now my schedule looks like this..

Work 11pm-7am

While at work, I eat a PB & J sandwich around 2:30am and a nutrigrain bar for a snack at some point during the night.

Usually I go to sleep hungry when I get home at 7am because I dont want to eat and then sleep because Im afraid it will turn to fat.

I usually only sleep 4-5 hours and then when I wake up around Noon I have Meal #1.. usually a protein shake or egg whites in a tortilla

I wait an hour or 2 and do my INSANITY workout.. usually have another protein shake (meal #2) after workout around 4pm

then meal 3 "dinner" around 6pm.

then take a nap from 8pm-10pm , get up and go to work, repeat.

and suggestions how I can tailor my eating schedule to optimize weight loss results and not starve my body in the morning??

Replies

• Ashleacurtice
    Ashleacurtice Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I work shift work so I run into this problem also...I work the 7p - 7a schedule...so usually my first night back I stay up all day to = ( So Im stuck being up for 24 hours and 1200 calories lol!

But usually I will get up around 3ish
    Eat shortly after waking up
    Then around 8:30 at work I eat supper
    then Ill just eat a snack around 1 or so
    then around 5 I eat lunch (usually cereal or a breakfast bar)
    so then I can go home and go to bed but have 2 - 3 hours hours before I go to sleep

You can always add FRUIT or VEGGIES for snacks so there isnt much calories that you are counting = ) Hope this helps!
  • War4MyBody
    Options
    wow up 24 hours thats rough!! i will try the fruits n veggies suggestion thanx :)
  • Ashleacurtice
    Ashleacurtice Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    wow up 24 hours thats rough!! i will try the fruits n veggies suggestion thanx :)

Yes I have a 3 year old...soo he is usually with me all day my first night back! Ive gotten use to it = )

How is it working for you!?
  • chazsucks
    chazsucks Posts: 170
    Options
    Ah yes. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old so pretty hard to sleep in the day! and then night shifts for me are 7pm-8.30am - and then an hour and a half commute on top. Plays absolute havoc with my diet. Especially on the train home I used to just buy anything and everything in the shop and eat all the way home :(
  • fatchiick
    fatchiick Posts: 105
    Options
    I have no real advice for you other than just make healthy choices.. my shedule looks very simular to yours except I do not go to bed hungry, I tried once and the pain woke me up...Nor do I work from 5pm-2am without a snack...I feel faint trying to work on an empty stomach...

So Meal 1 at 7am
    Sleep 8-12
    Meal 2 at 1pm
    Meal 3 at 5pm
    Nap 6-9
    Snack 11:30
    Meal 4 at 2am

Recycled and repeated.. freaking Dreadful!!!!! the snack and meal at 2am I hope will soon be gone... if my shift is changed :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you want. I typically eat 1900 cals between 6:30 & 9:30 pm then march to bed as soon as Im done. As long as you're within your calorie goals for a 24 hour period you're fine. Only reason to go to bed hungry is for medical reasons or personal preference. It will not turn to fat unless its excess calories, timing has ver little to do with it.
  • crazyjlyn
    crazyjlyn Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I work 10 hour graves 7 on, 7 off...

I wake up at 300 and have a coffee and something like a power bar, granola bar etc.

I do my work out about 330 then shower about 430

It takes me a while to get ready, picking out clothes doing my makeup getting dressed doing my hair et cetera

I'm in the car by 6 to go to store to get my lunch and I'm usually at work by about 715 I don't start until 8 though so sometimes I can fit in another walk around downtown while I'm there

Then I have yogurt with granola at 8 then a snack around 10, usually baby tomatoes, my lunch is at 130am and I have some fruit or more veggies around 4, I'm off work at 6 then crawl into bed for 7

It took me a couple of weeks of playing around with eating at different times and it seems to work the best for me

The best I can suggest is just try different things and see what works best for you and your own body
  • ashley67203
    Options
    I work second shift. I wake up and immediately work out, shower and then eat either an egg or peanut butter sandwich right before I go to work. I eat 2 servings of fruit, 2 servings of vegetables and 4 oz. of cottage cheese or yogurt over a few hours in the middle of my shift, go for a long walk on my dinner break, then eat a normal cooked "meal" sitting at my desk about an hour before I go home. Most of the time I'll eat a snack right before bed, hummus and crackers, pistachios, etc - something higher in protein/fat and lower in carbs. I do 1600 calories a day and that schedule keeps me eating pretty much non-stop so I don't ever have a chance to get hungry.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I work 10pm to 6am. I eat as soon I wake up which is my breakfast between 4pm and 5pm. I eat lunch around 9pm before I get ready for work. Eat dinner @ work @ 2am and that's bout it for me. Sometimes I'll have an extra snack @ work or before I go to work or even after I get home. I workout as soon as I get home and those calories are for after I wake up.
  • the_albino_1
    the_albino_1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I work 7p-7a. I typically am up by 5:30p and have a small meal then. I then plan out several different options for the night (fruit, vegetables, protein) and just eat periodically through the night. Typically I eat at 9p, 12a, 3a, & 5a. (Sometimes I eat a little something before hitting the hay)
    There are days when I am up during the day before I go into work. I try and spread my calories out between the time I am up before work and the time I am up for work. The other day I was up from 9a-2p and I ate a small something before working out and then had a brunch type meal around 11.

This isn't a suggestion just an explanation of what I do. :smile:
  • 1LRoy
    1LRoy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth between swings (2pm to 10pm) and 12 hour graves (6pm to 6am). I was having so much trouble with my diet when I first got started. My daily calorie goal is only 1240 before exercise, which really isn't all that much food! I was eating "rabbit food", still going over my calories, and then I was hungry all the time. Being hungry in the middle of a 12 hour graveyard shift is just awful!

I actually started the Bill Phillips Eating for Life diet which has actually been my saving grace! It boils down to this: 3 "meals" per day and 3 snack, protein and carbs every time you eat, protein portions are the size of YOUR palm, carb portions are the size of YOUR fist, eat as many fruits and veggies as you want, and nothing is absolutely off limits. Following this plan, I am almost always under my calories and sometimes I can't even eat all the food I'm supposed to! It's awesome!

I eat every 2-3 hours depending on how I feel. Each meal leaves me pretty satisfied and I'm not dying by the time the next meal comes around. I think it's really the carbs and protein mix. My "meals" are usually around 200-300 calories each and my snacks are around 100-200 calories each.

Here's how my day runs:

I usually have breakfast right after I get up. I usually have either one whole egg + 1 egg white over easy with a slice of multigrain toast and half an orange, OR 1/2 cup Egg Beaters with 1 cup of Wheaties and 1/2 cup of skim milk.

A couple hours later (post workout, post shower, and usually right about the time I'm heading to work) I have a protein shake made with protein powder and fruit.

A couple hours after that I have lunch at work, often something like a turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and mustard on whole wheat or multigrain bread, OR a BLT wrap on a whole wheat tortilla.

Another couple hours after that I have another snack of either string cheese or hard boiled eggs whites and some fruit.

On my swing shifts I would eat dinner after I get home. On my graveyard shifts I'm still at work when I eat dinner. Dinner is my "big" meal of the day. I really mix it up for this one, but there's always some veggies, a serving of protein, and a serving of carbs.

And finally, a few hours after that (and usually within about 2-3 hours of bedtime) I have dessert. Lately it's been whole wheat crepes with french vanilla yogurt (with added protein powder) and fresh berries.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    About to start working 7pm-7am.......When i occassional worked 8-hr nights i was too interested in my sleep to even want to eat, but that was when my husband was home to tend to the baby while i slept. I am scared as to what my routine will become once i am on nights full-time. I already know i will be getting less sleep, since it's me and baby, i figure i'd exercise before i get ready for work and the diet i haven;t figured out.
  • obum88
    obum88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    We should start a night shift group
  • Candicefunari
    Options
    I agree- it has been so tough trying to balance my eating/sleeping schedule! Add to that the need to fit in exercise and being the temporary single mom of a 2-year-old (husband is in the Army and not stationed here), and I'm sure you can see why this whole losing weight business can seem frustrating. But thanks for all of the ideas everyone has posted on here- and if a night shift group hasn't already started, it should!
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hi - if it's any consolation to you, I have been hungry before bedtime, and I eat a bowl of cereal, and I have not gained weight from it. It has no effect on making me fatter. Im still losing weight.

As far as I understand it, its a calorie deficit during the whole day, not necessarily at the hours you eat the food. In other words, not to be afraid of going to sleep on a full stomach, except for digestive issues.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My husband works 2 12hour days and 2 12 hour nights. He has lost weight (his 34 waist pants are now to big)

not because of what or when he eats while on shift but because of what he eats when he's not on shift and his activity level on his job and at home. (mind you while on shift he does nothing at home....:grumble:

On shift he eats a tonne of food...morning he eats breakfast then most of the day on his turn around day he gets up and eats all day then all night too...then sleep all day...eat all night.

But when he gets home on his last night shift (7am) he eats and goes to bed till noon or later...but then we eat well balanced healthy foods...and he is a carb person...loves pasta, breads etc..not big on protien...

edited for spelling
  • shadowbluefox
    Options
    I work from 6pm to 6am. My schedule has me working two on then two off. Then i work friday, saturday, and sunday have off monday and tuesday, then work wednesday and thursday after that i have a three day weekend. I start over with same rotation. Its very hard to stay healthy working this schedule. The way I eat is I eat on my first break at 9 then don't eat through the night. It is very hard with the fact my job is very physical. After working I get up at noon eat stay up for a couple hours then sleep for two more hours and eat before work. On my days off I eat a normal eating schedule. Its worked for me so far but it is hard to figure out healthy meal options. Any suggestions?
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've worked nights for 10+ years. Over the last 3 1/2 I've lost 80lbs and have been able to keep it off. I log midnight to midnight on here. Work Sun/Mon 6pm-6am Tue/Wed 10pm-6am. I'll eat whenever I'm hungry. After a shift I'll get home and have Meal 1 for the day before my kids are off to school. I love breakfast. Sleep 6 hours maybe and get up go to work and while at work I'll eat maybe two meals and a snack or two. At midnight or after midnight I'll start logging for the next day. Usually only have something small like a snack and when I get home I'll have meal 1 for that day which again is breakfast. My 8 hour workdays I'll do the same but usually train 2 hours of kickboxing / jiu jitsu before I have a meal 2 / 3. It works for me because I'll usually just nap a few hours on Thursday and become a daywalker until Sunday.
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I typically go to bed around 1 in the afternoon. I get up around 9ish. I start work at 10. I eat breakfast at 11:40, lunch at 1:40, snack at 4:40, home around 7:15- 7:40. Eat a snack around 8 supper around 10ish then if still hungry another small snack. Can always be under calories when I choose to be. If I feel up to exercise it typically around 9am.
    Kimmy
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you want. I typically eat 1900 cals between 6:30 & 9:30 pm then march to bed as soon as Im done. As long as you're within your calorie goals for a 24 hour period you're fine. Only reason to go to bed hungry is for medical reasons or personal preference. It will not turn to fat unless its excess calories, timing has ver little to do with it.

This.
    I also work nightshift and I have had no issues with losing weight.