hair loss/thining at 35!

Options
has any female out there still in her 30's experienced severe thinning and/or hair loss?

have you gone to a doctor for it and if so which kind? dermatologist, endocrinologist, ????

I'm freaking out and want help but have no idea where to go/who to see about it!

thanks

Replies

• faw1001
    faw1001 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have had this issue for several months now and I am 32. My Dr said it was prob due to all the weight loss but there could be a million reasons and they would never figure out what it was (useless!). My nutritionist said could be lacking in Zinc, so been taking liquid zinc for a couple months with no difference. She also suggested changes in hormone levels as fat carries oestrogen and I had lost a lot, so have had my hormone levels tested. Just waiting for results.
    She has an alopicia client that swears by the stuff on this web site : www.shmuel-gonen.com but it costs way more than I can afford at the moment.
  • retrogal76
    retrogal76 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for the reply! I wen to the doctor and had my hormones and minerals checked and other than a slight iron and vitamin d deficiency, everything was normal.

I can't help but think it's from the asthma meds I started taking after about 15 years of not needing meds...because nothing else changed recently.

I have an appointment with my pulmonologist this week then have a dermatologist next month - I'm hoping something comes out of this because I'm at a loss.

I'm not quite 36 yet and have been struggling with this obesity for the past 11 and can't handle being bald too!

good luck to you and congrats on the weight loss!
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Look into Biotin supplements. :)
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    How is your iron level? Edit: I just saw your response. Iron deficiency can cause hair loss, but if you are not greatly deficient then I don't know that it would be the issue.
  • wildspirit63
    Options
    Thyroid issues can also cause hair thinning/loss, so make sure they test that as well
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    has any female out there still in her 30's experienced severe thinning and/or hair loss?

have you gone to a doctor for it and if so which kind? dermatologist, endocrinologist, ????

I'm freaking out and want help but have no idea where to go/who to see about it!

thanks

If you've been on a VLCD, you could be losing hair as a result. Otherwise, I'd look at your hormone levels. My daughter (also in her 30s) had a thyroid issue recently that resulted in a large goiter growing in her throat. She lost half her thyroid but would have had to go on synthroid anyway because her symptoms were so pronounced.

Are you also tired all the time? I don't mean just worn out at the end of the day. Do you fall asleep at *every* chance, even when you don't want to? Do you have moons in your fingernails? Are your nails healthy?

My best advice is to go get yourself thoroughly checked by your physician - ask for a complete blood panel with an eye toward any hormone deficiency, including thyroid.

Good luck! Please post back and tell us you're doing better!
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm only 22 and have severe hair loss and thinning.

I went to my dermatologist and we've done tests - basically, the only reason we can find that it's happening is a hormone imbalance. She put me on a medicine, Spironolact once a day, and it is definitely helping. It's also helping with the acne I've had forever (on face and chest and back) that nothing else has ever really helped.

I also have a perscription shampoo she put me on, 3x a week, I forgot what it's called though....

And she also told me to use Extra Strength Men's Rogaine. Not kidding.
  • Shayna6347
    Shayna6347 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Have you checked with your OBGYN? I have a friend who is having this problem, in addition to trouble losing weight and she found out it was a GYN problem. Good luck! Add me as a friend if you are looking for support :)
  • morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    Options
    I have noticed since I started working out pretty regularly that my hair is thinning a bit more. I also have experienced a change in my cycles. I think it is just a shock to the system. But def. talk to your doctor.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Mine started thinning in my 30s. I finally asked my doc about it last year and she attributed it to "metabolic syndrome" or pre-diabetes. However, I had other symptoms as well.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I lost all mine a year ago, I highly doubt you are losing for the same reasons though! (toxic poisoning, fun fun!)
    I was referred to a dermatologist at first, they weren't able to help me while I lost it, unfortunately my issues were a little out of his depth, but he sure helped once it started growing again! He was also able to narrow down a lot of things, I would definitely start there.
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    I had a problem once where I was under EXTREME stress, and some GIANT chucks of hair fell out.. like 1 inch patches of total baldness..:sick: My hair stylist suggested I go to the dr, and they gave me cortisone shorts in my head, and it all grew back.... :happy: since then, I've seriously changed my diet, with loads of veggies and almost no processed foods.. and take prenatal vitamins ( no not preggers). My hair now is unbelievably thick and even the gray hairs I've had since I was about 16 have started going away... go figure...
    I'd check with the dr 1st but prenatals for a multivitamin really do amazing things for hair, skin and nails
    good luck sweetie!!:flowerforyou:

oops didn't read enough to C u already saw the dr... :) try prenatals for a multi. can't hurt ya, and it really does work for hair skin and nails :)
  • wingednotes
    wingednotes Posts: 279
    Options
    How about pre-menopause or pcos? Both conditions cause hair thinning.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    If you're eating under your BMR, then that's your answer. Other things to look for: dry skin, poor sleep patterns, dry flaky cracked nails, irregular TOM, irritability, many others~
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    It's due to weight loss, common in those of us that are losing lots and lots of weight. Make sure you are getting more iron and exceeding your protein macro. It will slow down to "normal" Mine was coming out in clumps--good thing it was super thick and now I'm ready for the summer sun with not as much hair! I started taking multivitamins with iron and that's how it stopped...
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    It's due to weight loss, common in those of us that are losing lots and lots of weight. Make sure you are getting more iron and exceeding your protein macro. It will slow down to "normal" Mine was coming out in clumps--good thing it was super thick and now I'm ready for the summer sun with not as much hair! I started taking multivitamins with iron and that's how it stopped...

This.

I alway lose hair along with weight. It wasn't a problem when my hair was very short, but it's now down to my bra strap & I can tell it's gotten thinner. I take a good multivitamin & a hair, skin & nails suppliment every day & it does help.
  • faw1001
    faw1001 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It took forever but I finally got the results of my blood tests recently and my hormones are fine, as is my iron and B vitamins etc. so no answers again for me. Have you had any luck figuring out the cause of yours yet Retrogirl?

Mine is still falling out a lot more than it should, and I have been maintaining for about 3 months now, so if it was due to weightloss it should have stopped by now :(
  • retrogal76
    retrogal76 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    no, I still haven't found out the cause of my hair loss/thinning....hormones fine, thyroid fine, androgens fine....

but I was on singulair last year for 6 months and stopped beginning of this year - and then started symbacort inhaler in February - I started reading blogs of people using these medicines all complaining of hair loss. So I stopped the inhaler last month.

I of course mentioned this to my doctor and he said that's not one of the side effects.

Unfortunately I can't pinpoint a time when I first started noticing the thinning. So now I'm suffering pretty badly with my asthma since I'm not on any medication but until I can figure out this hair loss I don't want to be on any meds.

Oh I also read that stopping the birth control pill can cause hair thinning/loss...which I did about 3 years - so that could be it...

I finally have my dermatologist appointment next week so will hopefully get some answers. I'll be sure and post if I do!