Trying to lose weight and looking for advice and friends!

Options
Hi everyone, I've been using MFP for what seems like a while and have never seen results because I've given up easily in the past when I don't see fast results. However, this time I am determined! I really want to get in shape and feel good about myself again! For one I am looking for some friends on here because my friends and loved ones don't really struggle with getting in shape like I do. Granted I am only 21 but I have been overweight all my life and now I just have decided I WILL change that no matter how long it takes!

Also, I am wondering if it is normal to stop losing weight on your second week or so? My first week I lost four pounds and tried really hard to eliminate all the bad stuff out of the diet..I guess this last week I wasn't as good and I might have had too much sodium. But my weight has been fluctuating and I haven't lost anything else. I have been cycling my calories around so that some days I have less and some days I have more, and I try my best to walk everyday and do other exercises if I can. I know this won't happen overnight and I feel so much better with my new diet, I'm just trying to figure out what I should expect!

Thanks in advance everyone! I've been on the boards a lot and I'm excited to make friends with everyone, seeing as everyone is so wonderful here! If anyone wants or needs another friend I would also love one!

Replies

• teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi there! The first week is mostly water weight, then in the next few weeks you should start losing actual fat. As you seem to be figuring out, the key is to not get discouraged no matter what, because plateaus will be a frequent occurrence and it will seem like you're doing it all for nothing, but trust me, you're not! There are some months where I loss nothing, and if I gave up because of that I'd be back where I started...
  • Melonhead
    Melonhead Posts: 168
    Options
    I also am guilty of wanting weight loss NOW! I have started and stopped several times. the difference this time - is that I am taking advantage of all the friends I have out there now. they keep me on track, celebrate the small success'. More importantly, they remind that it's going to take time. Add me if you'd like to.
  • Adureeuh
    Adureeuh Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I guess I never realized before how slowly the weight is meant to come off. I know it's healthy, so I want to do it the right way. It's also hard not to get discouraged but I know I'm eating healthier and smaller portions so eventually it will have to come off!!
  • Alex729
    Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi there! The first week is mostly water weight, then in the next few weeks you should start losing actual fat. As you seem to be figuring out, the key is to not get discouraged no matter what, because plateaus will be a frequent occurrence and it will seem like you're doing it all for nothing, but trust me, you're not! There are some months where I loss nothing, and if I gave up because of that I'd be back where I started...

THANK YOU! I needed to hear this badly today.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Yes generally the second week sucks. You see that big huge number the first week and the second week you get this little drop and you're like "WTH?' As others said it's water weight the first week and the second week is your body screaming 'DON'T DO THIS TO ME' and then it starts to settle into a pattern :)

This graph is just perfect.

success.jpg

You're not going to lose every week. You're going to put on some weeks and want to smash everything in sight. But as long as the overall trend is downward you're doing fine.