Frustrated - weight fluctuations

Options
Hoping to get some reassurance from some folks who have been here - last year, I was at 238 and have gradually dropped down to 218. I started MFP, have been sticking to m y calorie goals and have been working out religiously - 4-6 times per week. The first two weeks, I dropped 3 pounds and was happy to be losing again, after having been stuck at 218 for awhile. This past week, I gained two pounds back, despite working out MORE and eating a bit less - I usually come up at about 200 calories short of daily goal; I do eat back some of my exercise calories. I estimate calories burned using a HRM.

So now, I am at 217, and have a measly pound to show for three weeks of exercise and watching the pounds. So frustrated - any suggestions? (Admittedly, the past few days i have had some sodium bombs and not eating enough plan veggies...but still coming in at well below my calorie goal!)

Replies

• sbaldino29
    sbaldino29 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think it's the sodium. I had the same problem and when I cut down on sodium the scale started moving again. Good luck!
  • anitaplus4
    anitaplus4 Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Most peoples weight flux is between 2-5 lbs daily. I know its hard, but you just have to accept it. Im up 1.5 lbs today, but I know it's bloat from lifting yesterday. It should be "gone" by tomorrow. You're fine.

Good work, stick to it, and good luck!

The laws of thermodynamics apply to everyone. If you're under your cal count you're good!
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    How many weeks have you been working out for and how intense? When i first start exercising it usually messes up my weight loss for 3 or 4 weeks whilst my body gets used to it, and retains water as my muscles recover.

Keep it up and eating 100% and I'm sure your weight will start moving in a couple of weeks
  • kristi5224
    kristi5224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The scale is not your friend. its only a number.
    Make some non-scale goals For example:
    Limt when you weight yourself to 2 x a week.
    Make goals like incresing exercise times (per week or per session or distance)
    Pick or buy a piece of clothing in a smaller size...make that your goal.
    Invent a recipe under a calorie count (you pick) the MFP recipe funtion is so helful with this.
    Make time to do some kind of excersise everyday even if it is only (you fill in the number here) minutes.
    Try a new vegetable of food.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    How many weeks have you been working out for and how intense? When i first start exercising it usually messes up my weight loss for 3 or 4 weeks whilst my body gets used to it, and retains water as my muscles recover.

Keep it up and eating 100% and I'm sure your weight will start moving in a couple of weeks

Thanks everyone - I have been working out about 4x/week since september, a circuit with a trainer, plus two cardio days, and one cardio/circuit day on my own. I went on vacation and threw exercise and diet to the wind in early may (for about a week) and started working out 5 days a week - 1 circuit day with trainer, 1 circuit/ cardio day on my own, and 3 cardio days (twice elliptical, one exercise class, usually). Workouts are pretty intense, per HRM! On days I don't work out, I go for a long, fast walk - 2-3 miles.

I will stay the course and hope for a change soon - I am just wondering if my metabolism is shot and I really might be eating t too much, but don't want to make matters worse by eating too little! I am 5'11, 217, eating around 1900 calories/day.
  • pamelak5
    Options
    The scale is not your friend. its only a number.
    Make some non-scale goals For example:
    Limt when you weight yourself to 2 x a week.
    Make goals like incresing exercise times (per week or per session or distance)
    Pick or buy a piece of clothing in a smaller size...make that your goal.
    Invent a recipe under a calorie count (you pick) the MFP recipe funtion is so helful with this.
    Make time to do some kind of excersise everyday even if it is only (you fill in the number here) minutes.
    Try a new vegetable of food.

I completely agree, and I do most of those things - I weight lift and try new exercises all the time. I'm usually not so weight obsessed, but i want to meet a couple of weight goals before I get pregnant again. I have a bad foot (arthritis that developed after a break) and don't want too much pressure on the feet!
  • 203MrsB
    203MrsB Posts: 18 Member
    Options

This is very true! I see the same problem. And I hear this from lots of people as well. It will all even out. Just remember eating healthy, and working out besides losing weight, is a longtime, and lifetime commitment to a better life!
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I will stay the course and hope for a change soon - I am just wondering if my metabolism is shot and I really might be eating t too much, but don't want to make matters worse by eating too little! I am 5'11, 217, eating around 1900 calories/day.

Is that 1900 total, or 1900 plus exercise cals? If the former, with the amount of exercise you are doing I don;t thin you are eating too much at all. You could experiment with cals though - try a few weeks with say 200 calories more/less and see what happens.
  • amuchison
    amuchison Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Watch your sodium u should be less than 2300 mg a day if u r eating below 2,000 cals a day as well be sure u r drinking at least half your body weight in ounces a day just 64 oz keeps things working and in clean fluids...especially with your workouts u want to stay hydrated very well;)
  • pamelak5
    Options

Is that 1900 total, or 1900 plus exercise cals? If the former, with the amount of exercise you are doing I don;t thin you are eating too much at all. You could experiment with cals though - try a few weeks with say 200 calories more/less and see what happens.

Average is 1900 - some days more, some less! I will listen to everyone here, take in a lot of water, watch the sodium and just wait. We don't eat a lot of frozen/premade food, so I am hoping that a day or two of frozen meals and eating out wreaked havoc :)
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    It's probably the sodium, and maybe constipation or TOM?
    My weight is up by 4lbs last I checked, despite staying in a deficit. This happens to me a lot, and I just chalk it up to constipation/retaining water and then wait for it to go back down. It always does within a week.
  • sissy112553
    Options
    yes i know where your coming from,been doing this for 36 days and only lost 7 lb. not happy.i would drop a few lb. and then put it back can't under stand but i just keep going
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck around the same weight for about 3 weeks. It's so frustrating. But, clothes that didn't fit me a month ago now fit. Maybe take some body measurements and go by those more than the scale. I just keep following my plan and exercising and hope my body ends up where it's supposed to be sooner or later. If nothing else, eating healthy and exercise are still good things to do.
  • stobieonekenobie
    Options
    Type of exercise? Sometimes the exercise can build muscle which increases weight.

Type in terms of intensity and type of exercise.

Hard out exercise induces the fight or flight response which inhibits weight loss.

Resistance training builds muscle ( increases weight)

Longer less intense exercise is the best for weight loss

:-)
  • vkdunlap
    vkdunlap Posts: 2
    Options
    When you really start exercising you start gaining muscle mass. Muscle weighs more than fat and can account for the lack of change in weight. I've run into this myself lately. If you want to feel a little reassurance, you can do your measurements (waist, hips, chest, etc.). In combination with your weight you can find an estimate of your fat percentage (plenty of good fat percentage calculators online). I started doing this and low and behold, my lean weight was apparently increasing, but my fat weight was steadily declining. The fat percentage was going down and that's what really matters for being in shape and health benefits, not the number on the scale.
  • pamelak5
    Options
    Just wanted to update - looks like it was some temporary bloating. The weight is off, and I am now the lowest weight I have been since my daughter was born. And my workouts have been getting harder and longer since starting MFP, so by all measures...success!