Sweet Cravings Solutions

Options
Does anyone know a good way to kick a sweet food craving? I have this huge sweet tooth and I know because of how calorie dense those kinds of foods are, its hard to fit them into your diet too often... Moderation is honestly really hard for me, i'll eat a cookie and end up getting another or even get a few pieces of chocolate after!

I've tried:

-Refined sugar fast for 3 months (pulled off cold-turkey but I ended up binging a weekends worth of doughnuts/cookies, etc. after i was done)

-Eating all healthy carbs like whole wheat pasta, bread, etc

-Eating 2-3 servings of fruit every day to get some fructose in me

-Tried moderation of one piece of dark chocolate or some froyo once a week but cravings kick in too frequently

Most of the times I give in to my cravings are when I go out! A simple solution would be to stay inside, but I still want to be social and I know as soon as I go out i'm gonna want to devour the first sweet thing i see!

Replies

• jillyjelly
    jillyjelly Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    hey I am in the same boat -huge sweet tooth and trying to break it - somebody told me to eat gum and diet pop but I am not sure
  • jenmay37
    jenmay37 Posts: 3
    Options
    I sometimes drink diet soda when I want something sweet, but honestly, it is worse for you than regular soda. The artificial sweeteners they use are very bad for you and they also make sweet cravings worse. I think moderation is the best solution, but sometimes it is hard to say no. I wish there was a simple answer, but there's not. All I can suggest is to hang in there and try to limit your sweet calories to a certain number per day.
  • lilorphann
    lilorphann Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Sometimes sucking on a piece of hard candy helps. Also, I like to slice fruit and freeze it and then eat a few for sweet cravings.
  • skittles8810
    Options
    try chromium. It worked for me. I also cut out all carbs for a week, like whole wheat too, even fruit. Its hard at first but gets easier and then the cravings pretty much go away for the sweets. but the chromium also works!
  • jessimom
    jessimom Posts: 29
    Options
    Found sugar fee ( not calorie free :() jolly ranchers and lifesavers today ... I can have a few and not feel like I am spiking my blood sugar and therefore messing with my metabolism ... Yeah sf food!
  • jordyninja25
    jordyninja25 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I found Werther's Original really helped. It's sweet and delicious and if you take your time and savour it you can move on to something else to keep you busy. But it's 20cal for one so I've found it to be really good and it doesn't matter if you have 3 or 4. Those delicious, calorie dense cookies on the other hand lol...
  • greatthursday
    Options
    Slowly replacing candy and confections with fruit seemed to help me ... Also simple moderation. If I want a piece of candy, I won't deny myself of it, but I will not take the 10 or 20 pieces I used to take. If I want a cupcake, I will eat a cupcake, but I stop at just one. :) I also find I like strawberries rolled in some truvia or something.

But it is a work in progress, I still get my sweet cravings. For the times I really need something, I will eat a piece or two of dark chocolate.
  • tevexs
    tevexs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely gonna give the chromium a try because even if there's no significant scientific evidence behind it, the placebo effect may kick in and ill get some psychological benefit out of it.

The Werther's hard candies are a good idea, but when i crave sweets most of the time its in the form of a pastry or chocolate. I don't really crave candy candy, but more of the rich, confectionate kind.

Sugar free stuff can trick my body into thinking i've gotten some sugar in my system, but i found that there's this mentality i get that I know its not actual sugar and the craving persists.

When it comes to fruit, i've always gone to fruit to try and displace a sugar craving and it generally works at home, but my real problem is out when im being social where eating is a convention. It's so much harder to say no at that point and most likely im not gonna have any fruit available for substitute unless its a buffet :(
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Try taking chromium vitamins. I've been told that cinnamon helps too.

Also, chewing sugarfree gum can sometimes get rid of the cravings
  • tevexs
    tevexs Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try taking chromium vitamins. I've been told that cinnamon helps too.

Also, chewing sugarfree gum can sometimes get rid of the cravings

Sugarfree gum does usually help! I use it to curb hunger in general! It's just that I basically kill gum in the sense that I can go through a pack to satisfy my hunger or sweetness urges in about an hour...so its not financially feasible for me haha