Pug Redux, or How a Little Dog Made Me Healthier

Options
Some time ago, MFP forum members offered me a ton of support when I posted about my late pug, Carver Jane, and how hard it was to take care of myself in the wake of her death. I am writing a follow up under "Success Stories" because I finally adopted a rescue pug, Esme, and she is not only making me walk 30 minutes a day (and endlessly, endlessly throw her squeakers, balls, anything able to be pitched), she's also improving my outlook and mood (no small feat), which improves my willingness to take care of myself. When I feel down, or I'm hurting, I let myself go to hell. It's taken me four years to even care about myself after a wrenching personal situation, and adopting this little girl has brought some light back into my life.

Pugs, peeps, and pumps. The joys of life!

rldjio.jpg

Replies

• arctiknitter
    arctiknitter Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful. I'm so glad you found Esme and can give her a good home. I just can't imagine life without my dogs (all rescue pups). They give us such joy and make us get out and move.
    Good luck on your journey and many happy times with Esme.
  • minxonastick
    Options
    I was a little nervous when I started looking into rescue--I thought I might not be able to handle the challenges--but we are doing GREAT and I'm so glad I could give her a loving home. Her time was up at the shelter (where she was scared to death), and luckily Pug PROS of N. California saved her! Dogs are the best. Thank you for your good wishes!!
    This is wonderful. I'm so glad you found Esme and can give her a good home. I just can't imagine life without my dogs (all rescue pups). They give us such joy and make us get out and move.
    Good luck on your journey and many happy times with Esme.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    :heart: Love this. Dogs rescue us.
  • minxonastick
    Options
    Oh, exactly. As a bumpersticker with a paw print on it said: "Who rescued who?"
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options

I have that on the back of my car. But mine is a big pawprint magnet.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Awwwww, I love pugs!!! Wish I could have one...
  • minxonastick
    Options
    They make me laugh. They were bred to be jesters and companions to the ancient Chinese emperors, and that's their reason to live. Love and food, that pretty much sums up a pug!
    Awwwww, I love pugs!!! Wish I could have one...
  • Bovaryoo
    Bovaryoo Posts: 1,374 Member
    Options
    She's adorable! It's wonderful that she is bringing so much joy to your life.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I love this. So glad you and Esme found each other!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted this and congrats! Dogs are an amazing source of energy and happiness. I :heart: mine!
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    awwww. This made me smile. Couldn't imagine my life without my dog. Thanks for sharing!
  • minxonastick
    Options
    Thank you everyone! It cheers me to read your posts :)
  • samiam321123
    samiam321123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new family member :)
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    What a cutie. Cheers to you for taking that step toward feeling better. :drinker:
  • mrmv
    mrmv Posts: 95
    Options
    Yay! I have 3 rescues! And I think they rescued me...
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    <
    My "little" guy.

Adopting him (or did he adopt me at that shelter?) was the first step on turning my life around. Health and well being are not only physical goals. Mental and emotional health are just as important as physical health, probably more so. The comical look of pure joy on his face when we play and the love and affection he likes to show always warm my heart, no matter how I'm feeling.
  • AngieJoy81
    AngieJoy81 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a chug (chihuahua/pug) and a border collie mix! They are the joy of my day! They alway remind me when it's time to get out for a run!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!